OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A GI cot is the way to go if you can find one in good condition. They are a PITA to put together but the canvas is as tight as a drum. Put a Thermarest Camp Rest on it and you have a nice bed. My 2cents

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
that would be the last piece of gear I'd buy, look at the weight.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Go for it mate, apparently if you post here you are supposed to be able to leap mountains and lift locomotives so an extra few kilos will not be a hindrance.

I just use the Australian version, too heavy to lug about on your back but handy at a base camp.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Not my pictures, I got them from Ebay.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
aside from weight, only thing i can see is the support bars look like they would dig into your back when you are trying to sleep.

Sold the camper last week and I am just looking at options to stay dry and somewhat warm at deer camp.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Kamp-rite is a lot different than a GI cot. It's a tent/cot or a cot/tent.

I don't have any direct knowledge of them, but I remember a conversation a few years ago regarding a similar request for information. The fellow had a compact car and was driving to state park campgrounds to turkey hunt and wanted something he could throw up quickly late at night.

Folks talked him out of it. As I remember the concerns were along the lines of

a) a pop-up tent was easier to set up.
b) sleeping with a foam pad on the ground was going to be warmer than sleeping on a cot

Having done a lot of what this fellow was describing, namely driving to state park campgrounds, arriving late and having to grab a quick bit of shut-eye before hunting, I have to concur. I also have to say that I've never been all that comfortable sleeping on cots like that-- much prefer being on the ground.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
With any cot, you need a good pad on top of it for insulation. Since you need the pad either way, the cot does give you 2 advantages - it avoids rocks under you and it's easier to get up to pee.
We have a couple of these ALPS cots for llama packing. They weigh 11 lb and fold up more compact than an army type. They're lower, about 8" but you're well above the rocks. They'll fit in a popup tent easier than an army cot.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Go for it mate, apparently if you post here you are supposed to be able to leap mountains and lift locomotives so an extra few kilos will not be a hindrance.

No, not a locomotive. Just a backpack, since this is the backpack hunting forum. It's what's known as a given. You do know what backpacking is, right?

Another little idiosyncracy that many backpackers have that you'll find charming is, gear is important to us. Since we carry it on our backs and all. So when we ask whether others have experience with a specific piece of gear and name the piece of gear including brand, we are looking for experience with that specific piece of gear.

In other words, if I were to say "does anyone have experience with Hanwag Mountain Light boots," a good response is not "yeah, boots, love 'em, get ya some boots!"

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The only way to use cot and backpacking together is to talk about those ultralight cots that sell for well over $200.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The only way to use cot and backpacking together is to talk about those ultralight cots that sell for well over $200.

I agree with that. The comments between JSUART and I don't really address the OP's question anyway, they're from something he carried over from the fitness thread.

The piece of gear the OP mentioned is not a regular cot and weighs 34 lbs. so it's obviously not meant for backpackers.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm thinking you posted in the wrong forum, unless you are built like Gronkowski or JJ Watt- hauling a 34 pound cot/tent is going to be quite a feat with a backpack.

If truly a backpacking element to it look into a bivy, tons of options, here's a place to start

http://www.backcountry.com/bivy-sacks

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/ThreeWireBivySack ---- less than 2 pounds

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For a cots my wife and I use Slumberjack

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
For backpacking use a cot would have to be awfully light, say a pound or two or so before you could seriously consider taking one along on your back on a pack-in of any consequence.

However, here in the NW it can rain ... to the point where you will have water creeping into your teepee despite careful siting and your best water diversion efforts. Last years elk hunt in WA was a case in point. Without a cot in my 8 man Kifaru, I would have been sleeping in a small lake. A cot allowed me to sleep dry during the worst of a multi day deluge. In this case though, I was camping out of my truck & could afford the weight of a light cot. There are times when staying dry in a floorless tent or even a well built tent with floor and additional groundcloth can be a real challenge.

I don't use one backpacking but for use out of a vehicle, a light, compact cot can be a real treat.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think this is about the lightest cot on the market, made by Therm-a-rest. It weighs 2lb 12oz and costs over $200.
Big Agnes makes a similar one, about the same weight and price.

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
[Linked Image]

It is definitely not meant for backpacking. That said, for just taking out of the back of a pickup and setting up in about 2 minutes, it is a pretty darn nice piece of gear.

My dad and I both have one, and with a pad under your bag, or even a blanket, it is a very comfortable way to sleep and stay dry.

Plus you can sit in the opening in the morning and pull boots on, instead of being on the ground. I also tend to start my coffee outside of my tent cot before I even get out of my bag.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one tan in color but have never used it. Seems handy as it can be used as a lawn chair with adjustable back positions. Can be used with just the mosquito netting and folds up and fits in a soft carrying case. Tom

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I have a couple of buddies that use these and they like them a lot for staying mobile while hunting a few different areas but they use a vehicle and are not backpacking. You can put your pad and sleeping bag inside and have a warm dry place to sleep with less than a minute to set up. Not sure I would put this piece in a backpacking conversation though.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've laid on a few commercial fold-out cots and they all suck compared to a GI cot with a Camp Rest on top. The GI cot, however, is a royal PITA to put together, because it stretches the nylon canvas so tight. Not something you'd want to do daily.

For a protracted "camp-out" with vehicular access, the GI cot/Thermarest with the new GI bug net is as good as it gets.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bluemonday
I've laid on a few commercial fold-out cots and they all suck compared to a GI cot with a Camp Rest on top. The GI cot, however, is a royal PITA to put together, because it stretches the nylon canvas so tight. Not something you'd want to do daily.

For a protracted "camp-out" with vehicular access, the GI cot/Thermarest with the new GI bug net is as good as it gets.
Cabelas has a new GI-type cot with a pivot arm that gives you leverage to get the cross bars in place. It's supposed to make it much easier to set up.

― George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
118 members (338reddog, 10Glocks, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,464 guests, and 741 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.