acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I like the idea. Al

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by the response here.

Ok, let's talk about the name and topic breadth.

"Rural Living"

"Farms, Food Plots, Gardens, and Tractors"

????

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
This ought to be interesting !! wonder if stick is an expert here too ?? LMAO

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I'd visit for sure, starting to get more into gardening and maybe even a few animals soon. Broke ground and made a garden last year for the first time at our new place. Didn't do that great but about all I expected for a first year plot, expecting better this year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Rural Living" covers a lot. I like it

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
"Rural Living" sounds good.

Throw in Sticky's for specific sub-topics? Sticky Points right off the bat: Tractors, Fruit Trees, Container/Balcony Gardening.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Maybe sub-forums or sticky's for different climates, regions, zones, etc. We will be planting very soon for instance. Native species comes to mind as well. The diversity would be interesting.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
Originally Posted by roundoak
I'd enjoy this too but may I make a suggestion? A "Rural Living" or "Rural Life" Forum would both cover these things and actually fit very well with the Campfire, Hunting, Fishing theme.

And it would also give us a place to bitch in an organized fashion about Rural Discrimination from City Dwellers who have no clue. Lol. Personally, I have some very interesting stories to share about this. lol

Oh, so a city dweller with a "Victory Garden" would not be qualified to offer input?

I have urban friends and relatives with amazing gardens and fruit trees.

I apologize...I did not mean to stereotype. This was wrong of me. I have the upmost respect for City Dwellers who buck the ideals Society tries to enforce on them! As you know though Urban Food Gardens are becoming rare and many Municipalities are even trending towards outlawing these.

In many Cities now it is OK to grow "ornamentals" but illegal to grow "Food Crops". This is because of the ignorant neighbor next door looking over your fence who thinks they are ugly to look at and reduce the value of their property. In fact I try to promote Backyard Chicken Farming in the City just for these type of neighbors. smile

These are the type of people I was referring to in my statement, not the Gardeners smile

I'm in.

BTW, You have just spoken about my city of residence. Who the hell do they think they are to tell me I can't raise vegetables on my property! They can pound sand. We finally got a commissioner who gets it and everybody and their brother are wanting me to vote against him this time. phugg them.

Last edited by local_dirt; 02/23/16.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by roundoak
I'd enjoy this too but may I make a suggestion? A "Rural Living" or "Rural Life" Forum would both cover these things and actually fit very well with the Campfire, Hunting, Fishing theme.

And it would also give us a place to bitch in an organized fashion about Rural Discrimination from City Dwellers who have no clue. Lol. Personally, I have some very interesting stories to share about this. lol

Oh, so a city dweller with a "Victory Garden" would not be qualified to offer input?

I have urban friends and relatives with amazing gardens and fruit trees.

I apologize...I did not mean to stereotype. This was wrong of me. I have the upmost respect for City Dwellers who buck the ideals Society tries to enforce on them! As you know though Urban Food Gardens are becoming rare and many Municipalities are even trending towards outlawing these.

In many Cities now it is OK to grow "ornamentals" but illegal to grow "Food Crops". This is because of the ignorant neighbor next door looking over your fence who thinks they are ugly to look at and reduce the value of their property. In fact I try to promote Backyard Chicken Farming in the City just for these type of neighbors. smile

These are the type of people I was referring to in my statement, not the Gardeners smile

I'm in.

BTW, You have just spoken about my city of residence. Who the hell do they think they are to tell me I can't raise vegetables on my property! They can pound sand. We finally got a commissioner who gets it and everybody and their brother are wanting me to vote against him this time. phugg them.

Just the oposite here....Lewiston just passed an ordinance allowing a certain number of Chickens.....not sure of the details since I live about 25mi out of town but I was glad to hear about it.....

I just put in a small garden that doesn't amount to much but I'm always looking for advice.....let er rip......

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I myself would prefer something more like "machinery" and not just "tractors". Case in point, where I live self propelled swathers ,balers and harrow beds are very popular machines and none has a tractor associated with them.

I also do like the "Rural Living" topic.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RickBin

"Rural Living"

????

Rick,

Whatever name folks come up with I'll be visiting/posting.

If there's posts about combines, balers, and other industrial equipment, I'll just have to wade through them. Not my area of interest. I'll not be interested in which spray is better for my 5000 acres of soybeans either, but maybe some folks are. (I don't have 5000 acres of soybeans.... or anything else either smile )

Chickens, pigs, family small scale beef production, goats, bees, "truck farms", family gardens, that kind of thing will be what I'm looking for.

Topics more along the lines of self sufficiency rather than industrial farming are what I was thinking would work for me.

Then again, there's a number of forums I rarely if ever visit, so whatever you and the folks come up with, I'll be sure to visit often.

Thanks,

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I would like to see this happen as well.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Chickens, pigs, family small scale beef production, goats, bees, "truck farms", family gardens, that kind of thing will be what I'm looking for.

Topics more along the lines of self sufficiency rather than industrial farming are what I was thinking would work for me.

Agreed, something aimed at the homesteader/hobbyist gardner/farmer. But, I do like seeing folks older/restored tractors! Myself, I'm only doing a small raised-bed plot that's all of 16' x 4', so I'm trying for maximum efficiency from every square foot available.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RickBin

"Rural Living"

????

Rick,

Whatever name folks come up with I'll be visiting/posting.

If there's posts about combines, balers, and other industrial equipment, I'll just have to wade through them. Not my area of interest. I'll not be interested in which spray is better for my 5000 acres of soybeans either, but maybe some folks are. (I don't have 5000 acres of soybeans.... or anything else either smile )

Then again, there's a number of forums I rarely if ever visit, so whatever you and the folks come up with, I'll be sure to visit often.

Thanks,

Geno

I was thinking the same as Valsdad. Although I'm cool with whatever people want. If the post title is thoughtful than I know whether to read it or not, and that would take care of most of the "sub forum" needs. -tnscouter

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

Agreed, something aimed at the homesteader/hobbyist gardner/farmer. But, I do like seeing folks older/restored tractors! Myself, I'm only doing a small raised-bed plot that's all of 16' x 4', so I'm trying for maximum efficiency from every square foot available.

gonehuntin,

check into this technique for small areas:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=square+foot+gardening&t=ffsb&ia=about

Another method (I hope you're not a Francophobe, every once in a while they come up with some good stuff, like small bore smokeless cartridges):

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=french+intensive+gardening&t=ffsb&ia=about

Good luck with it all.

Geno

PS, old restored Ford/IH/JD tractors, like my uncle had on his little 5 acre place are cool. Some of the combines in the wheat growing are I live in could fit about a dozen of those under them it seems tho, and that's way too big for my interest.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by keystoneben
The campfire would make a great spot if we could cut back on the political, grump, and conspiracy threads.

fwiw,
The only part of country living that can leave me GRUMPY is repeated visits to my local John Deere parts counter in my effort to replace the 1973(two years older than I am)4020 Diesel that my Grandfather bought, my father rebuilt, and I am trying to keep the exterior and particular the battery system from eating me alive... I coulda boughta kubota for the money I've spent...(true)

Beware of old tractors. They are mad about the lack of a retirement plan...

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hope it happens and hope there is traffic. Cowboy Action and BPCR are topics I'm very interested in and that one would think would support fairly popular forums, yet the ones here get little play. A Handguns Reloading forum would be nice, yet there is none. Go figure.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
Originally Posted by keystoneben
The campfire would make a great spot if we could cut back on the political, grump, and conspiracy threads.

fwiw,
The only part of country living that can leave me GRUMPY is repeated visits to my local John Deere parts counter in my effort to replace the 1973(two years older than I am)4020 Diesel that my Grandfather bought, my father rebuilt, and I am trying to keep the exterior and particular the battery system from eating me alive... I coulda boughta kubota for the money I've spent...(true)

Beware of old tractors. They are mad about the lack of a retirement plan...

Regards, Matt.
No offense, but there's no such thing as a 1973 4020. I don't know when the actual production ended...maybe they made them into '73, but the models years end in 1972.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Deere_Model_4020

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep I got a farm and a tractor.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Bumping for more to come chime in. smile

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1234, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,794
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.