Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I'd say to semi-limit it to home or hobby-business stuff. A guy who has a few bee hives or a few fruit trees to sell stuff at a farmers market would qualify but not a full blown business. Most of us aren't farmers. We're hobbyists.
At the same time, info about pesticides or irrigation on a large scale is also applicable to hobby farming so that needs to be considered.

Really?

Then I would certainly not contribute, with that sort of regulation on a forum.

By the same line of thinking, we should also prohibit someone that makes their living in the firearms industry from posting in the shooting forums.

Here's a clue for you...

People that want advice on how certain things work, and why they work that way, are not going to seek that advice from other beginners. The input of people that actually know the mechanics of a specialized subject are the most valuable part of the discussions.

I was thinking of a similar reply as you posted this one. Who better to appreciate free advice from but someone who has toiled and suffered with hard work and mistakes yet became successful in building a Full Blown Operation? These are the guys you WANT to share advice and experience because apparently they know their stuff and have already proven it!

The broader the input base the more info shared. Coleman Country would work. This has the potential to be great.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lvmiker

Really?

Then I would certainly not contribute, with that sort of regulation on a forum.

By the same line of thinking, we should also prohibit someone that makes their living in the firearms industry from posting in the shooting forums.

Here's a clue for you...

People that want advice on how certain things work, and why they work that way, are not going to seek that advice from other beginners. The input of people that actually know the mechanics of a specialized subject are the most valuable part of the discussions.

I was thinking of a similar reply as you posted this one. Who better to appreciate free advice from but someone who has toiled and suffered with hard work and mistakes yet became successful in building a Full Blown Operation? These are the guys you WANT to share advice and experience because apparently they know their stuff and have already proven it!

The broader the input base the more info shared. Coleman Country would work. This has the potential to be great.

mike r

Absolutely^^^^^^^^^^^ The more the merrier....if the "purist" nit-pickers don't like it create a sticky with a visual demonstration on how to hit the back button.....

PS......Another vote for "Coleman Country"...............

Last edited by FieldGrade; 02/24/16.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cant anyone read a 2d paragraph?

I read the entire post before I posted mine.

It still reads like you don't want much input from those that do it for a living. Your first sentence states that clearly.
Rick is asking for opinions. If you don't like mine, you might change my mind if you say "I disagree because..." and state your reason politely. Getting mad and insulting won't change anyone's mind, mine included. I'm not a bit adversed to changing my mind if I see good reasons to do so. I do it all the time. Getting mad like you do won't do it, though.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Cant anyone read a 2d paragraph?

I read the entire post before I posted mine.

It still reads like you don't want much input from those that do it for a living. Your first sentence states that clearly.
Rick is asking for opinions. If you don't like mine, you might change my mind if you say "I disagree because..." and state your reason politely. Getting mad and insulting won't change anyone's mind, mine included. I'm not a bit adversed to changing my mind if I see good reasons to do so. I do it all the time. Getting mad like you do won't do it, though.

I thought that's what I did do..?

I stated my reasons very concisely. Nor was I "insulting" in any way.

As far as what makes me mad, or doesn't make me mad... well, you can't regulate and control that either. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What you said was that if you don't get your way, you'll take your ball and go home.

― George Orwell

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
What you said was that if you don't get your way, you'll take your ball and go home.

No, I said I wouldn't participate.

Which is exactly what you said you wanted....

If this thread is any indication of how the forum will be, I'm out as of now.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Climb down off your high horse cowboy.....what RB actually said was that if agricultural professionals weren't allowed he wouldn't participate......I'll bet there's plenty of forums on this site you don't participate in..........Hypocrisy???????

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not to interrupt a great argument here but going back to the Title of the thread...I take it "Coleman" was a past member here who you all lost?

If this is what I am understanding with this, a thread Title in his dedication would indeed be a very appropriate Gesture of respect. smile

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Not to interrupt a great argument here but going back to the Title of the thread...I take it "Coleman" was a past member here who you all lost?

If this is what I am understanding with this, a thread Title in his dedication would indeed be a very appropriate Gesture of respect. smile

Mickey Coleman was indeed a very well respected guy here that had been a member since the early days. He died unexpectedly last year.

Go back and read some of his posts. He was a great guy, and we all lost a lot with his passing.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
check into this technique for small areas:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=square+foot+gardening&t=ffsb&ia=about

Another method (I hope you're not a Francophobe, every once in a while they come up with some good stuff, like small bore smokeless cartridges):

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=french+intensive+gardening&t=ffsb&ia=about

Thank you, that's exactly the info I need!

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RickBin
I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by the response here.

Ok, let's talk about the name and topic breadth.

"Rural Living"

"Farms, Food Plots, Gardens, and Tractors"

????

My vote is for "Rural Living"

New members would be drawn to that title I believe.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rooster7

"Rural Living"

????

My vote is for "Rural Living"

New members would be drawn to that title I believe.

Rooster,

true that, however, some members in suburbia and (heaven forbid) cities might not realize what topics are being discussed, like small scale gardening and backyard chickens.

Just a thought.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great idea!

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, look.
They're already bickering.

grin

Farm and Garden should cover it all.
Dedicated to Coleman is good.

If someone doesn't want to read about restoring a 318 JD mower/tiller, don't click it.

Now, back to the bickering....

But first.
This needs it's own forum too.
How about "Get a Room!" with a motel sign flashing above it?
grin

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Gardeners/farmers: last week I asked Rick Bin about a separate Garden/Farm forum, bump this thread and send him a message if you want to see it happen:

"Float the idea and see what reaction you get. I don't want dead forums, but if it looks like it will get some traction, then why not.

Trial balloon time, I'd say."

Look how many reloading forums there are (five!!)......self-sufficiency, to any degree, is an equally worthy goal. It's hard to keep warm and shoot straight if your stomach is empty and your pantry is so bare that the mice pack up and leave. I'd like to see more than an occasional garden thread, there's a lot of information that can be shared, same as all of the experience with various firearms/cartridges/hunting techniques that's available here.

[Linked Image]

So,

I don't know a thing about gardening, but I would love to learn from those who do. In other words, one more vote for a gardening forum.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Absolutely Great Idea!

The beatings will continue until morale improves
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

So you take your ball and go home. Why don't you just try to politely disagree instead of posting insults? You just might get someone to change their mind.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

So you take your ball and go home. Why don't you just try to politely disagree instead of posting insults? You just might get someone to change their mind.

What specifically do you feel insulted about?

If that was what I inferred, then I do apologize.

When I see recommendations as to who can post within a forum, I see that as very restrictive and regulatory. I get enough restrictions and regulations with our government. Doesn't everyone?

It's kinda hard to take your ball and go home when the game hasn't yet started. Don't you agree? Or would anyone that chose not to post in a particular forum be taking their ball and going home?

If that's the criteria, then I took my ball and went home from most of the forums here but a couple in the past 24 hours.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Farm and Garden
Gardening
Rural homesteads
Self Sufficiency/DIY Ideas
Rural Living Equipment

I'd be there and sure to learn alot that I lack. I can contribute 30 years experience in irrigation design, repair, installation.

Last edited by Fireball2; 02/24/16.

LOL
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

"Rural Living"

????

I tend to read more than post here, but I do like the idea behind the overall theme of the forum proposal.

What ever you decide to call it (if), the sub forum name should attempt to reflect the types of topics that most any newcomers might expect to find behind the title imo.
Maybe something like "Aspiring to and sharing country/rural Living" or something similar... just a thought, Good luck with it...

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

336 members (1lesfox, 22250rem, 240NMC, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 1,963 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,320
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.