Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I have installed hundreds of Shilen barrels over the last 40 years and have always been happy with them. When I started gunsmithing, the most popular aftermarket barrels were from Shilen or Douglas. Both were and are excellent barrels.
I have re-contoureda ton of Shilen barrels and have never has one warp or change measurably. The same goes for those I have machined octagon or half octagon; no apparent distortion and they shot well. GD

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine is a Shilen 30" 264WM 1 in 8 twist and 6 grove shoots great.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

[Linked Image]

Randy,
Can you tell me where to obtain some of the targets you depicted? I like.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I was able to read the website on his target.

http://www.precisionplustargets.com/hiviztargets2.htm

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hiaring8

You wouldnt by chance be willing to share a picture of the rifle? Like to see what a finished #3 contour is looking like.

[Linked Image]

This is a #3 finished at 20" on a Model Seven. It's perfect, IMO, for a 35 caliber bore.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

[Linked Image]

Randy,
Can you tell me where to obtain some of the targets you depicted? I like.

Looks like mathman helped out with your request.

Here is the Link
I really like those targets.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I will be hosting the annual Shilen Swap Meet on April 23rd. I will post an announcement in a week or so.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Have a few Shilen barrel rifles and quite happy with them. Gents I shoot with on a regular basis at range we're members certainly don't hesitate to buy one. Couple of years ago we went to the Shilen Open house held in February. When walking into their place, a couple of other range members were leaving and each were carrying at least four barrels they'd purchased off Shilens rack of barrels accumulated since their last open house that were canceled orders, kinda rejects and etc. I would buy two of them....yep, they shot well for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I will be hosting the annual Shilen Swap Meet on April 23rd. I will post an announcement in a week or so.

I'm sure this thread should help with the Swap Meet.

I'm a fan of their barrels. I have wore one out, and have five rigged and ready to go in my safe.
I've never seen one that didn't shoot. I'm sure there might be some out there, I just haven't seen them.

Take care.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
When I purchased a Shilen prefit for a Savage Precision Target Action, it arrived after a few months, but I found it wouldn't fit the action threads. Apparently Shilen cut the threads a bit oversize (maybe for a trued action with 0.010" oversize single pointed threads). The recoil lug also wouldn't fit. I called Shilen, and they asked that I send the barrel back and include the action so they check what went wrong. They returned it in about two weeks, assembled, with the caliber designation engraved on the barrel (federal regulation). When I ordered a subsequent barrel, I mentioned that the first return cost $95.00 UPS fees, which they said was their fault, so they discounted my order by that amount.

It's when things go wrong you can judge a company, and Shilen certainly lived up to customer service. Both barrels, and those I had from earlier builds are great shooters. Shilen, Hart, Brux, Krieger, and Pac-Nor are all among the better barrels in my experience.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doug ,I think Sincair has some real similar.

I having my favorite 270 wby rebarreled as we speak with another shilen. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by huffmanite
Have a few Shilen barrel rifles and quite happy with them. Gents I shoot with on a regular basis at range we're members certainly don't hesitate to buy one. Couple of years ago we went to the Shilen Open house held in February. When walking into their place, a couple of other range members were leaving and each were carrying at least four barrels they'd purchased off Shilens rack of barrels accumulated since their last open house that were canceled orders, kinda rejects and etc. I would buy two of them....yep, they shot well for me.

Huffmanite,
There are no rejects in the barrels sold at the swap meet. They are kind enough to replace barrels that people change their minds and want something different. They are not machined and carry the same warranty as all their barrels

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Have one shilen on a semi custom 7-08 rem 700. Blueprinted, Timney trigger Hs Precision stock, shoots like crap. All my other guns will out shoot this one whether a factory or semi custom. I have a couple Kriegers, and soon a Lilja and a couple coopers. The Coopers, Kriegers, all clean very nice. That shilen is rough and nasty. It's going to get a quality barrel soon. Just have to decide on a Kreiger or Lilja. You could pay me to take another Shilen!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Stainless or cromo?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Pstores
Have one shilen on a semi custom 7-08 rem 700. Blueprinted, Timney trigger Hs Precision stock, shoots like crap. All my other guns will out shoot this one whether a factory or semi custom. I have a couple Kriegers, and soon a Lilja and a couple coopers. The Coopers, Kriegers, all clean very nice. That shilen is rough and nasty. It's going to get a quality barrel soon. Just have to decide on a Kreiger or Lilja. You could pay me to take another Shilen!

So you contacted Shilen and they said what? Kinda like you and Manner's stocks.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 03/01/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sample of one from 1985, #3 CM .22-250 is still rolling along. It shot bug hole groups for years, now about an inch and a quarter. Thinking that i might need a new one ....

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P

Contacted the Smithnand never heard back. I am going to have another recrown it and see if it shoots. If it doesn't it'll be rebarreled to a better quality barrel. They are rough inside compared my other barrels. Not sure what I said about Manners stocks. With except Tom Manners was great to deal with even though I didn't buy one from them based on price. The box mag added quiet abit. McMillan Edge at about 19oz for $644 was hard to beat. I did try to order a manners for my Cooper but they won't inlet one for them.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Well, I appreciate all the feedback. Really sounds like Shilen makes some good barrels. My project is underway and should be completed by end of March.

I am having the barrel finished at 24.5" but we are taking .50 off the shank and the rest off of the end. That way even at a finished length we should be around .635-.640 at the muzzle which should be perfect.

Barrel is going on an a blueprinted Remington 700 sps action, timney trigger, and setting in a BDL McMillan Classic Edge stock. Barrel is going to be bead blasted for a matte stainless finish.

Simple, yet hopefully accurate, and will be an amazing loaner rifle to whoever needs it. Will top it with a 3-9x40 euro optic zeiss conquest.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you shoot that new rifle very much, It might not become a loaner.

It just might shoot some small "Bug-Holes"

Wishing good luck with your rifle.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Contacted the Smithnand never heard back. I am going to have another recrown it and see if it shoots. If it doesn't it'll be rebarreled to a better quality barrel. They are rough inside compared my other barrels. Not sure what I said about Manners stocks. With except Tom Manners was great to deal with even though I didn't buy one from them based on price. The box mag added quiet abit. McMillan Edge at about 19oz for $644 was hard to beat. I did try to order a manners for my Cooper but they won't inlet one for them.

Sounds like you have a great smith. I don't anybody has a right to bitch about a product until you give the mfg. a chance to address any perceived problem.
Yes, I read all your crying about Manners and company.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 222ND, 76 invisible), 2,793 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.