Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nothing of any real redeeming value here other than some really cool and relaxing cinema photography.... From birds to bees to bats and in between......Monsanto eat your heart out....

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/xHkq1edcbk4?rel=0

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I posted some on this in another thread but this seem like an appropriate place to put this. I received the OK from the State Plant board to put a beehive next to my garden. I already had the bottom section of the hive and received another super yesterday. I have bees ordered and should get them in April. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by milespatton
I posted some on this in another thread but this seem like an appropriate place to put this. I received the OK from the State Plant board to put a beehive next to my garden. I already had the bottom section of the hive and received another super yesterday. I have bees ordered and should get them in April. miles

I am curious what their reasoning is for making you get permission to do something good for the environment in whole? Is this not good for both Imported species and Indigenous?

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Miles, I just threw this out there to help maybe bring some foot traffic to the sub forum.
I'm curious about the state having to ok the bee hive. That just seems odd to me...
My dad always kept bees, there is quite the art to it imo...Good luck with your bees. Take lots of pictures!

Last edited by tndrbstr; 02/25/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Several reasons but the most important one is that they want to know where they are, so they can inspect them. With all the problems bees are having disease control is all important. This cost nothing but you do have to apply. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by milespatton
Several reasons but the most important one is that they want to know where they are, so they can inspect them. With all the problems bees are having disease control is all important. This cost nothing but you do have to apply. miles

Thank you! I honestly can actually understand this as justified and a possible good regulation.

We raised Emus for several years because the market was great at the time. But because they were not keeping an eye on Emus at the time somebody imported a bunch of diseased Birds into the Country. This completely destroyed the Industry and our investment.

Bees are so important to us that I can understand them wanting to make sure they are healthy and not going to harm other Colonies. smile

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Interesting info on the Bee Board. We used rental bees in our cucumber fields for a few years to aid in pollenation here in Michigan...and moved them around at will. Those bees were moved all over the country, one year we had to wait for them to arrive from Texas.

I wonder if the bee owner was dealing with some type of regulatory agency and we just weren't aware of it? We would get 10 colonies....put them on wagons and move them from field to field. At that time I grew about 700 acres.

Today we grow a sterile, seedless hybrid. No bees required. It was an answer to the shrinking bee population. The last year we had bees and conventional seed, we had 250 acres go unpollenated even with bees....due to the activities of local mosquito control.

What ya don't get into.....

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Bee inspecting came about when diseases like American Foul Brood. At the time the was no treatment and you wee forced to burn the hive and bees. Bee inspectors and fees for keeping bees came about because of the disease and once you have a fee you never get rid of it.

Then came regulations reuireing inspectors must be able to remove every frame in the hive. Today there are several better designs hour hives but they are not legal as the frames cannot be removed.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

572 members (1minute, 270wsmnutt, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 160user, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,145 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,287
Posts18,448,910
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.