Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
The Cornish Cross is the breed of choice for meat birds. They go from chicks to butcher in 6-8 weeks. Very breast heavy, good legs. But they take some doing to grow them out. I don't have a huge pasture to let them roam or run a tractor in, only yard. And using a tractor in the yard gets very NASTY. By the time they get half grown, they are $h!tting machines! I made a "tractor" which is nothing but a cage you keep moving around. I made mine 5x5 feet square, 4 foot high. 2x4 framed and 1/2 inch rat wire around the sides, plywood roof with rubber roof. And a door of course. Made up a brackets with a shaft for wheels to roll. I mounted a electric box in the top for a heat lamp to get them through the first couple weeks. But like I said, doing this in the yard is nasty. Did that one year and that was enough. So the next time I did it different, my next post.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm interested in doing this some time.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Since I have the "cage" to keep the birds in, and it's on wheels, the light bulb went off. Went to the lumber store and bought a couple 12 foot 2x4 s and 7 eight footers, and framed an 8x12 and 3 sheets of OSB. Laid this down flat, blocked it up so it was level. Then a cheap tarp cover the whole platform. So my method is, put the cage up on the platform with the cage to one side. When the birds make a big enough mess, I roll the cage to the other side, that is "clean". I found a snow shovel works well for scraping off the mess. When they get big, this is a daily thing, they poop like crazy! That can be composted for use later. We get 25 chicks from Murry's at a time, and that's about all I can raise in the 5x5 cage. The butchering starts around 6 to 6 1/2 weeks. I don't do them all at one time, too much work to butcher and process. I'll post my butchering method next.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
OK, last post. In my view, plucking chicken feathers is about the worst thing to do, and dunking a chicken in hot water stinks like crazy. I don't do it. I skin.

Use a killing cone, best way to get it done. If you do it the old way, these heavy birds can flop around and break bones, no joke. I simply hang the bird upside down by their feet so they are spread apart. Peal down some feathers where the ankle skin meets feathers, and this is where I start the skinning. It's not that hard, while they are warm. Skin down to the neck, pull the arms through, and all this can go in a trash can. I bought a wire/cable cutter to cut off the legs and wing ends. The skinned bird gets laid on its back on a table, and the innards are removed. For ease of freezing, we have the carcus. I use kitchen shears down each side of the backbone, and the knife through the breast bone. Makes a nice half bird to vacuum seal.

Last edited by WayneShaw; 02/28/16.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 73 invisible), 3,044 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,259
Posts18,467,093
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.