Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I see these can be had for around $450.00.Are they any good.Thought it might make a nice truck gun.How are their trigger pulls?Thanks ahead ,Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
They are great for the money. I bought one a couple years ago and love it. Trigger pull is acceptable.

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
love that gun. I have an octagon, stainless barrelled one. shoots 38 spls great.

kids love shooting it, in particular. My boy has taken several pigs, deer, with ours.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't know how they are...but I am about to find out. I have just been putting it off...but gunbroker is calling.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What part of GA are you in? I know where a round barrel carbine is for $499 I think.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D

Huntz,

The youngest boy and I got one apiece last summer. Both of them have been great. Suprisingly good trigger pulls. Not as smooth as a real 92 but they are smoothing up. The sights seem a little crude though I haven't had much trouble hitting with them out to 100 yards. He does better. They are 20 inch carbines.

They feed all our usual handloads in .38 Special and .357 Mag without issues including semi-wadcutters. The point of impact does not change as much as it seems to do in a revolver FWIW. The are mild to shoot even with near book max 158 grain loads. They remind me of the .32-20 I had when I was a wee one when loaded with the High Velocity loads.

I am sending mine into a guy to have rear peeps put on and an action job. No real need but I paid for it when I got the rifle. After that it will get the scout rail and a scout scope in QR rings for some occasions.

They do have a quirk I'm not sure if i can get fixed. They don't like to feed tipped over on their side. I do not remember my .32-20 doing that but I don't remember a lot of things.

Gary

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Never shot a Rossi,but I will soon.I have a 20" .357 Stainless 92 on hold.Hope to pick it up in a few weeks.Heard many pros and cons on these.Rough action seems the most common complaint.

H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks for the info guys.I had one years ago in 44 Mag.I think they called it a Puma then.It had a tang sight that was kind of nice.I would have bought a Marlin,but they have gotten kind of pricy and I do not know if their quality control has improved yet.I figured at the price Rossi`s go for I can live with a less than perfect Rifle.Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always thought that if Winchester had adapted the Model 65 to .357 and maybe the 92 carbine likewise, that we might have had these right up to 1963.

Look how well the Rossi's are doing in 2016 .........

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought a 16" blued 357 recently and am darned impressed with how accurate it is. I can hit water bottles at 60 yds offhand. One of my buddies has been wearing out the big hogs with it. I am going to be adding another one of these to my stable soon in 44 mag or 45 colt. Mine survived the Argo sinking with it in the gun rack the other day.. only a little split in the stock that i can fix.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Just got a 20 inch blued .357. I just hope I can restrain myself from running down and buying a 45 or .44 mag for a week or two more at least.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
All you have to do to smooth one up is replace the ejector spring and cut two or thee coils off the hammer spring. That's it. The ejector spring is Mongo stiff and is the main cause of the stiffness in the action as that it causes resistance to closing the bolt. It also can cause some failures to feed. I replaced mine with a spring out of a Harbor Freight spring kit and that sucker is as smooth as glass now.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Can you put an aperture sight on one? Is there an aperture built to mount on one?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

good strong & accurate lever guns.......

Rossi C/S sucks big time........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Can you put an aperture sight on one? Is there an aperture built to mount on one?

Yes. It has this funky safety right on top of the bolt. There is a guy who sells what is basically a modified Skinner aperture that fits there once you remove the safety. You don't even have to dissassemble the gun. Open the bolt, drift out a pin, remove the safety, replace with the sight, and drift the pin back to its original position. For schits and giggles it doesn't even disable the safety. You can still turn the sight just like the safety did if you wanted to for some unknown reason.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by tikkanut

The best guy to work on the '92 is Steve Young. He can do magic on those guns, specializing in the Rossi.

http://stevesgunz.com/

Steve is all the CS you'll ever need.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/02/16.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by tikkanut

The best guy to work on the '92 is Steve Young. He can do magic on those guns, specializing in the Rossi.

http://stevesgunz.com/

Steve is all the CS you'll ever need.

DF

been there..done that with Steve....about $300 for tune/remove safety

Still have a $500 Rossi.......still not a Marlin...

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
You don't need to pay some $300 to work on a $400 gun. All that is wrong with a Rossi can be fixed in an hour by anyone who can turn a screwdriver.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JoeBob
You don't need to pay some $300 to work on a $400 gun. All that is wrong with a Rossi can be fixed in an hour by anyone who can turn a screwdriver.

Maybe.

But, bet your's won't be as slick as his...

A good way to buy a Rossi, is to get one already slicked up by Steve. It's a lot better deal than buying one, then getting it fixed up.

DF

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Slicking one up isn't rocket science. The are only so many moving parts. And it isn't the surfaces rubbing that causes them to be rough, it is mainly the ejector spring. Fix that and you fix most of the so-called roughness and the feeding issues. I think the spring I used cost me $4.86 as part of a spring kit from Hatbor Freight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (10Glocks, Akhutr, batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,527 guests, and 860 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,227
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.