Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
fg,

nice touch with the classic pocket knives in there.

Geno

PS, I didn't know the neighbor was "artsy fartsy". grin

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by jaytee
Awesome pics. How many quail chicks hatched out and what species of quail were they? I'm currently in the process of restoring a huntable population of wild bobwhite quail to my farm. I've had one covey for the past 5 or 6 years but I'm hopeful I'll get another covey or two to call my place home.

Some years back, during a protracted "Spring Cleaning" , my little cattle dog started showing interest in a truckload of construction debris, slated to go to the waste disposal site.

[Linked Image]

A goofy young Gambel's Quail had set up her brood therein. I tarped the thing up and let it sit for quite a long time,...and just waited 'til they moved out into the habitat brushpiles they're "supposed" to nest in.

[Linked Image]

Funnier n' hell to have folks picking berries early of a Summer's morn, and a young covey explodes out from under,....that's a GOOD lurk for them, and I don't begrudge them the little bit of crop they eat.
The place is crawling with em', at this time.

GTC

Greg,

I'm going to remember that tern, "protracted spring cleaning". My wife will at least know I'm getting a round twoit!

Cool that you had those cousins of my quail taking advantage of the habitat a nice guy like you provided. (Those Gambel's are just as tasty as their cousins from the west, too!)

One day I hope to get down there to the southern part of the state. You must have it pretty well figured out to get that nice produce down in that heat. I know I had a lot of learning when I lived below Hoover dam and Laughlin. Had to put shade cloth over the tomatoes and peppers. Grew the dangdest serrano plant ever though (well for me at least). About 3' tall with a stem as big around as my wrist and about as hard as some of the yahoos around here think their willies are! It lived thought three winters, under the shade cloth and blankets when necessary for the few freezes we would get.

For those in "regular" gardening ares, this is why I needed shade cloth. It was taken under my carport about 6' off the ground. Taken somewhere around Aug 2005. And it was not the hottest day I saw in my 5 or so years there, rnager station down the road a 1/2 mile had 126-128 recordings one day while mine was "only" in the 124 range:

[Linked Image]

And no comments about "but it's a dry heat". I call BS. You folks down south with your heat indexes. No need for an "index where I was. When the thermo said 125 ......it was 125.

Went outside for something around 3 am once, it was still 113. I knew we were in for trouble the next day.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for those pics Geno. I was out yesterday afternoon running on the trails here on my farm and kicked up a pair of Bobs, first ones I'd seen since back in November! What a great sight and sound it is to hear birds flushing!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

344 members (1lesfox, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 30 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,748
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.