Print Thread
Hop To
X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
I'm getting ready for some animals this spring, so gotta get the barn set up. I've got power and water, which is good but there is a problem with the water. Tts one of those deals where you pull up on the handle to turn it on, but when you do almost as much water comes out around the junction of the pipe and the head as out of the correct end! I have no idea if I can fix this, how to take it apart. I tried to remove it from the pipe to no avail. Anyone know how these work and what I need to do to fix it? [Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's called a yard hydrant. Google "Williams Adjustable Flow Yard Hydrant" and look for rebuild instructions. Is the red part cracked? If you closed the gate valve (in the left side of your picture) prior to pushing down the yard hydrant handle you would have created a vacuum preventing the yard hydrant from draining out and it would be susceptible to freezing.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image]

The above post is good advise.

This is a different brand, but they are much alike.

I think the rod to the valve, which is on the lower end, needs to be adjusted.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Thanks guys. The valve has never been closed by me, noteven sure it turns anymore but never know what was done in the past.No visible cracks, the water squirts down around the pipe and head junction. I'll see if I can find a way to take it off and seal it up.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would just about bet you've got a split or crack in the pipe or the faucet body. These usually dont start leaking that much just by coming loose because they really shouldn't come loose unless someone loosened it or installed it wrong. Could it have gotten bumped by something or someone in the past maybe? If they start leaking around the top its usually around the stem.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by kingston
That's called a yard hydrant. Google "Williams Adjustable Flow Yard Hydrant" and look for rebuild instructions. Is the red part cracked? If you closed the gate valve (in the left side of your picture) prior to pushing down the yard hydrant handle you would have created a vacuum preventing the yard hydrant from draining out and it would be susceptible to freezing.

^^^^^

This would be my first suspicion. Something as simple as not unscrewing an attached water hose when your done could cause this condition. If it has frozen and ruptured it's time for a new one imo.

These spiquots do come in different lengths. Remove the old one first or look at a new one and you will know how deep your going to have to dig down. I think the bottom fitting is a female 3/4 or 1" npt.

Last edited by tndrbstr; 03/04/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Much cheaper to make you own freeze proof hydrant. In your water line that is under ground put a ball valve and then on the hydrant side, put a tee with another ball valve on side line of the tee. I put a cap on this line and drilled small holes in the end,and placed gravel around this stub. Run your main line up with a regular faucet. You can get valves with a square key or do as I did and put a piece of pipe up from each valve with a cover for a way to turn the valves on and off. Anyway with the main valve open and the side valve closed you have water. Close the main valve and open the side valve and the water drains out of the faucet where it won't freeze. It does not drain every time, like the freeze proof faucet but only when you want it too. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Played with it a bit today to see if I could fix it, but I think you guys are probably correct and its cracked somewhere. Unfortunately its is in a concrete floor so don't want to bust up the floor to dig it out. Instead I think I will drop a pump into the bored well in my pasture, and run it off a switch in the barn, bringing a pipe in through the wall. That'll give me a second water source as well, so thats an added bonus.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You will probably want/need a tank to keep from messing up your pump motor, which brings back freeze up problems. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

202 members (300jimmy, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 2UP, 23 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.