Tanker or chest rig holster?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

That's the way I would go.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

That's what I was thinking as well. I have a couple of really nice chest rigs from 7x Leather. Very high quality at a reasonable price.

[Linked Image]

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Let me go on record right now as being 100% totally and completely AGAINST being thrown from a horse. Also I'm completely against having the horse stumble, fall, and roll on me as well. I'm also not a big fan of having them dance out from under me as I'm trying to swing up into the saddle.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I just went and looked at HPG's site. I like the looks of the kit bag. I could put my 45 Blackhawk in it along with two space blankets and some fire starters and maybe some other things in case I got separated from my horse and the couple of things that are in the saddle bags. That happened to a hunter and guide from camp a couple of years ago. Luckily the guide was a smoker and they were able to start a fire as it got into the single digits that night.

Stupidity is expensive
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've only used the runners kit bag (thinnest) but have been intending to order one of the thicker ones. They really are useful.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Apologies to John Wayne, but for horseback, a shoulder holster can't be beat.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use the simply rugged sourdough for my bisley blackhawk.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ditto...
Made a living riding daily for almost 20 years and always had my handgun in my shoulder holster. No mishaps ever.
Too many ropes and uncontrollable events to even consider using a hip holster for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just got a kit bag after more than a little skepticisim about the concept. Trying one on in the store changed my mind as it is comfortable and holds lots of essential gear.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Where did you buy it at?

Stupidity is expensive
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by K1500
I just got a kit bag after more than a little skepticisim about the concept. Trying one on in the store changed my mind as it is comfortable and holds lots of essential gear (securely).

I screwed up last week and rode without mine. I wasn't packing so I skipped it. I usually empty my pockets and put the contents in the kit bag before I head out. Lost my cell phone somewhere on the ride. If I'd have carried the kit bag it would have been safe in it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pack Rat Outdoor in Fayetteille, Arkansas. They had the standard bag and the runners bag. I went standard. I will break it in on a hike this weekend.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tag

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Have you considered a cross-chest (tanker holster) holster. It works great with 4-wheelers! Easy, quick access, and out of the way for most activities! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Chest holsters will work if you don't have coat on,but are heck if you wear a coat and need the gun quickly.I prefer across draw worn on the left hip.Especially if you are leading a pack string. 2nd You need a retention strap of some sort.Don't rely on friction.The last thing you want to worry about in a wreck is if your handgun will stay put. You might have to give up your love affair with the Glock and get a 4" barreled revolver that deoen't impinge on the cantle. You can tell by the various replies who has carried a lot while riding and who has not

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I must be doing it all wrong because I wear my Diamond D Guides Choice outside and over a heavy coat or jacket all the time in the winter. I can wear it under the coat but I have to unzip about halfway and reach inside for the handgun. I don't typically do that unless it's raining or snowing. No big deal since the holster adjust so easily and quickly. Two year old thread...

Edit: Saddlesore, could you please explain the "impinge on the cantle" 4" revolver vs. Glock statement?

Last edited by MOGC; 03/30/18.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I generally tried to keep my big clumsy arse off of horses...but we had horses and I did ride from time to time. For the few times, I found just moving my holster much further back to the 5 o'clock position seemed to work just fine for me.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Like it was mentioned above cross draw at10:00. I was taught that by the old cowboy's what raised me in Montana years ago.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Chest holsters will work if you don't have coat on,but are heck if you wear a coat and need the gun quickly.I prefer across draw worn on the left hip.Especially if you are leading a pack string. 2nd You need a retention strap of some sort.Don't rely on friction.The last thing you want to worry about in a wreck is if your handgun will stay put. You might have to give up your love affair with the Glock and get a 4" barreled revolver that deoen't impinge on the cantle. You can tell by the various replies who has carried a lot while riding and who has not

The HPG kit bag can be worn under or over a coat...under would require unzipping the coat at least part way to draw. Any handgun up to a large 4" revolver is no problem to carry in the kit bag and retention is not an issue. Will work with multiple guns, no need for a gun specific holster. Comfortable, compact, and nothing sticking out to interfere. I like to use a kydex trigger guard for a little extra piece of mind with a glock. It really is hard to beat and can be used for a lot of different activities.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1OntarioJim, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 72 invisible), 3,001 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.