Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

glock 20 need a holster when out riding that will retain even if thrown off.

bob

GB1

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I just got this Simply Rugged CUDA for a 10mm Glock 40. Didn't get a safety strap but I think any fall that would knock the gun out of the holster would kill you anyway...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BobMi
Do you ride with chaps? If so do like the old timers did and and have a pocket put on the chaps and carry it in the pocket. Cheers

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've used a HPG Runners Kit Bag the past year while riding with several different handguns and really like it. Works great for a Glock with a trigger cover. Didn't know how many things I'd use that HPG kit bag for until I got it....gets used all the time.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I also have the cuda for a glock 26. If I could do cart wheels, it still wouldn't fall out. I give it a thumbs up as well.

Also have a pistol pocket in my chaps which works great as was stated above

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you want it to stay in the holster under the conditions you stated then get a holster with a retention device or strap.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Serpa. I don't ride horses, but I do hike and four wheel and fish and hunt with a G20 and bought a Serpa for the loss prevention/retention.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If I got thrown off at my age, I'd need the pistol to myself out of my misery. wink

Getting throwed is for young folks.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BobMt

bob

Safariland ALS, avoid the paddle as it might break under certain circumstances.

Actually, a Hill People Gear Kit Bag would likely be even better.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by K1500
Serpa. I don't ride horses, but I do hike and four wheel and fish and hunt with a G20 and bought a Serpa for the loss prevention/retention.

Tex is a huge fan:

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, he is. Idiots can screw up almost anything. I have the safariland for a HK and like it too. I think the Serpa (not sportster) is higher quality.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have the safariland for a HK and like it too. I think the Serpa (not sportster) is higher quality.

You're wrong. BTW, Tex was sportin' a SERPA. Rob Leatham, among MANY other trainers of note, will not allow you to train with him/them and use a SERPA. They are tolerable with a DA/SA like a 92 but dangerous as hell with anything with a short trigger stroke.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This Blackhawk holster should fit your needs.

http://tacticalgear.com/blackhawk-alaska-guide-holster

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I wouldent recommend a hip holster. If (when ) you take a fall
You sure don't want to land on it. I carry a revolver in either a shoulder rig, or a cross draw in front of my left hip Keeps the gun out of my way if I have to rope,or have to handle a lead animal.

Hang on tight !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Montana Shoulder & Holster Rig

Deflave had mentioned this one, and have been trying it out with a 4inch mountain gun. It is cross draw, fwiw. I like that it rides a bit higher which, on a horse, sits better and grip access is better for me. And has a retention strap. Now am a relative newcomer to horses compared to some of you but so far so good on them with this setup. The only downside really is a collared shirt is much preferable to a t-shirt, else it may eat your neck after a while. Depends.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bluemonday
I have the safariland for a HK and like it too. I think the Serpa (not sportster) is higher quality.

You're wrong. BTW, Tex was sportin' a SERPA. Rob Leatham, among MANY other trainers of note, will not allow you to train with him/them and use a SERPA. They are tolerable with a DA/SA like a 92 but dangerous as hell with anything with a short trigger stroke.

Yes, I know Tex was sporting a serpa, and I am aware that some trainers don't like them/disallow them. A guy at our range shot his leg reholstering a glock. Either his finger was on the trigger or something (toggle on a drawstring perhaps) got in there and did the deed. Point is, one must exercise care with a firearm, especially what amounts to a cocked and more or less unlocked auto like the glock.

I was incorrect on the ALS, I actually have the GLS Pro Fit. I like it well enough, although I have limited range time with it. The Serpa is built out of better material and is more rigid than the GLS pro fit. Maybe it's the one size fits most aspect of the pro fit. I use the Serpa for woods use and like it for that purpose.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Accidents can happen with any holster, but it's undeniable that the Serpa is more conducive to those accidents than other designs. Whether that matters to you or not is a different issue.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The plastic in that GLS is some space-age stuff. So far it appears to be "Marine-proof". Time will tell.

You are correct about care when reholstering a Glock. BTDT and got splattered with bullet fragments off of concrete from that. The guy DID NOT have his finger on the trigger, clothing got caught in the trigger guard.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ol'Tex shot himself drawing a 1911 from a Serpa, not while reholstering a Glock. He slapped the trigger, plain and simple.

I've got a Blackhawk Serpa for the Glock 20. It is undoubtedly secure and as safe as any other holster to use. It would, however, not be my first choice for horse back because it sticks out a lot and I think a hard fall could break it. A close riding leather belt/crossdraw or shoulder/chest rig with retention strap would be much better IMO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobMt

bob

There are 2 things life would be better off without, a Glock and getting thrown off a horse...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tanker or chest rig holster?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

That's the way I would go.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

That's what I was thinking as well. I have a couple of really nice chest rigs from 7x Leather. Very high quality at a reasonable price.

[Linked Image]

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Let me go on record right now as being 100% totally and completely AGAINST being thrown from a horse. Also I'm completely against having the horse stumble, fall, and roll on me as well. I'm also not a big fan of having them dance out from under me as I'm trying to swing up into the saddle.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I just went and looked at HPG's site. I like the looks of the kit bag. I could put my 45 Blackhawk in it along with two space blankets and some fire starters and maybe some other things in case I got separated from my horse and the couple of things that are in the saddle bags. That happened to a hunter and guide from camp a couple of years ago. Luckily the guide was a smoker and they were able to start a fire as it got into the single digits that night.

Stupidity is expensive
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've only used the runners kit bag (thinnest) but have been intending to order one of the thicker ones. They really are useful.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Apologies to John Wayne, but for horseback, a shoulder holster can't be beat.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use the simply rugged sourdough for my bisley blackhawk.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ditto...
Made a living riding daily for almost 20 years and always had my handgun in my shoulder holster. No mishaps ever.
Too many ropes and uncontrollable events to even consider using a hip holster for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just got a kit bag after more than a little skepticisim about the concept. Trying one on in the store changed my mind as it is comfortable and holds lots of essential gear.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Where did you buy it at?

Stupidity is expensive
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I just got a kit bag after more than a little skepticisim about the concept. Trying one on in the store changed my mind as it is comfortable and holds lots of essential gear (securely).

I screwed up last week and rode without mine. I wasn't packing so I skipped it. I usually empty my pockets and put the contents in the kit bag before I head out. Lost my cell phone somewhere on the ride. If I'd have carried the kit bag it would have been safe in it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pack Rat Outdoor in Fayetteille, Arkansas. They had the standard bag and the runners bag. I went standard. I will break it in on a hike this weekend.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tag

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Have you considered a cross-chest (tanker holster) holster. It works great with 4-wheelers! Easy, quick access, and out of the way for most activities! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Chest holsters will work if you don't have coat on,but are heck if you wear a coat and need the gun quickly.I prefer across draw worn on the left hip.Especially if you are leading a pack string. 2nd You need a retention strap of some sort.Don't rely on friction.The last thing you want to worry about in a wreck is if your handgun will stay put. You might have to give up your love affair with the Glock and get a 4" barreled revolver that deoen't impinge on the cantle. You can tell by the various replies who has carried a lot while riding and who has not

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I must be doing it all wrong because I wear my Diamond D Guides Choice outside and over a heavy coat or jacket all the time in the winter. I can wear it under the coat but I have to unzip about halfway and reach inside for the handgun. I don't typically do that unless it's raining or snowing. No big deal since the holster adjust so easily and quickly. Two year old thread...

Edit: Saddlesore, could you please explain the "impinge on the cantle" 4" revolver vs. Glock statement?

Last edited by MOGC; 03/30/18.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I generally tried to keep my big clumsy arse off of horses...but we had horses and I did ride from time to time. For the few times, I found just moving my holster much further back to the 5 o'clock position seemed to work just fine for me.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Like it was mentioned above cross draw at10:00. I was taught that by the old cowboy's what raised me in Montana years ago.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Chest holsters will work if you don't have coat on,but are heck if you wear a coat and need the gun quickly.I prefer across draw worn on the left hip.Especially if you are leading a pack string. 2nd You need a retention strap of some sort.Don't rely on friction.The last thing you want to worry about in a wreck is if your handgun will stay put. You might have to give up your love affair with the Glock and get a 4" barreled revolver that deoen't impinge on the cantle. You can tell by the various replies who has carried a lot while riding and who has not

The HPG kit bag can be worn under or over a coat...under would require unzipping the coat at least part way to draw. Any handgun up to a large 4" revolver is no problem to carry in the kit bag and retention is not an issue. Will work with multiple guns, no need for a gun specific holster. Comfortable, compact, and nothing sticking out to interfere. I like to use a kydex trigger guard for a little extra piece of mind with a glock. It really is hard to beat and can be used for a lot of different activities.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by MOGC

Edit: Saddlesore, could you please explain the "impinge on the cantle" 4" revolver vs. Glock statement?

Usually a longer barreled handgun will ride down on the cantle if worn on the belt. I guess a fellow could use longer one and tie the bottom of the holster down to the leg , but that is uncomfortable

.I meant,concerning the Glock that finding a suitable holster with a tie down or snap strap might hard.
I tried a chest rig with a Blackhawk 44 mag a couple times and it was uncomfortable for me.

OP asked about holsters specifically

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/30/18.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the answer. It seemed as if you meant a G20 was longer overall than a 4" revolver. A G20 is 8.22" overall and a S&W L-frame is 9.60" overall.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
No worries. I carry a Ruger Security Six in .357, 4 " barrel in Hunter leather holster with a strap/snap. Probably about 7"long. If I am leading a pack mule, it goes cross draw to keep the lead role from accidentally snagging it. If not, on the right side. If I am ML or rifle hunting, I carry a Smith J frame, 3 " barrel, in .357cross draw. Only relaying what has worked for me for years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Appreciate your experience ...

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by saddlesore

The HPG kit bag can be worn under or over a coat...under would require unzipping the coat at least part way to draw. Any handgun up to a large 4" revolver is no problem to carry in the kit bag and retention is not an issue. Will work with multiple guns, no need for a gun specific holster. Comfortable, compact, and nothing sticking out to interfere. I like to use a kydex trigger guard for a little extra piece of mind with a glock. It really is hard to beat and can be used for a lot of different activities.

^^^^^ My HPG recon kit bag is the most functional and comfortable gun toting device I have ever owned for everything except concealed carry.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have 2 glock 20s and I absolute likely love carrying them in gunfighters inc kenai chest rigs, in my opinion that’s handgun nirvana. I use that set up for hiking, hunting, rafting, ATVing, fly fishing etc. I really enjoy it. I have leather holsters for my bigger revolvers but for a g20 I love the kenai chest rig.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 7 invisible), 1,581 guests, and 753 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,557
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.