Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
SMACK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I finally got a chance to shoot the latests AR I built, I built this one for myself. This will be one of my primary RockChuck AR's. Back East I believe they call them Groundhogs, out west it's Rockchucks because they are almost always found in rocky terrain. Anyway I was more than pleased with today's results.

Since this was the first outing with this rifle but I own and have shot many Black Hole Barrels in various chamberings, .243 LBC, .264 LBC, 6x45, 6.5 PCC, 6x6.8 SPC etc. I did my standard break in. 3 shots clean with Butches, 5 shots clean with Butches, 5 shots clean with Butches, 10 shots clean with Butches and then go for it. All the shooting was done from the prone with a bipod and a rear bag at 110 yards.

Here are a couple groups shot today the group on the left was 5 shots with 105gr Hornady BTHP match and CFE223 powder with Lapua cases(Yes, I choked the last round!) The group on the right was 3 shots with the 95gr Berger VLD's and H4895 in neck turned Hornady cases. Both lit with a CCI BR4.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have noticed that my AR's that I use the heavy billet Maga Arms upper recievers. Side charger type or standard heavy upper receiver have always shot tight.

Today's set up, I didn't have time for a formal range session off the bench and I couldn't stand the wait. So next go round I'll get velocities. Right now I just wanted a zero.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Rifle Specs:

22" Black Hole Weaponry barrel, stainless, 3P (Polygonal).
Chambered in .243 LBC, simply the Grendel necked down to 6mm
Rifle length gas
Fortis "RED" brake/Compensator
Geissele Super gas block
Nitride gas tube
Lancer 16.25 carbon fiber handguard
Mega Arms side charger upper
NIB bolt carrier group with custom side charger machined and installed locally
Grizz Precision Billet lower receiver
Anderson lower parts kit
CMC 2/2 flat two stage trigger
Yankee Hill extended take down pins
Odin Works extended magazine release
MagPul PRS stock with .308 spring and buffer
MagPul Key Mod bipod adaptor
Spikes "Spider" grip
Viking Tactical Key Mod single point/clip sling attachment
Noveske 60 degree selector/safety
AADMOUNT 30mm with bubble level and 30 MOA built in
Leupold LRT, M1, 6.5-20x50 Mil-Dot reticle

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SMACK; 03/06/16.

All the best things in life, live on the other side off fear.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Nice,what is the weight ?

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

SMACK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You had to ask! So much for the Lancer handguard cutting weight on a build like this.

Almost right at 13lbs with a empty mag. Recoil is minimal and impacts are easy to watch, even on 20x.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Well its still nice
Setting up for a long stay in one place all that weight would make recoil very light .
Congrats on your build

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How do you like the Lancer handguard?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B2

SMACK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BarryC
How do you like the Lancer handguard?

It's quality built and stout. I have high end aluminum key mod handguards that flex more when you "Load" the bipod.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sweet! I have an upper/lower with a Geiselle NM match trigger, PRS stock and the same Lancer handguard sitting in my study, and was just researching the best 6mm cartridge for the AR15 platform. I had planned another 223 but have 4 already, and not a fan of the AR10 platform, just too big to me.

Seriously thinking about building a 243LBC VERY similar to yours! Was thinking 24" but seeing your pics has me questioning that.

Really appreciate the list of components, etc. Would love to hear any tips, advice, thoughts you might have in hindsight, etc.

SMACK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This rifle was built from hindsight. I first built one in a 6x6.8 SPC, it was fine for bullets up to 90gr or so but the 6.8 Cartridge is longer than the Grendel cartridge and I wanted to shoot the heavies 95gr VLD's and heavier Hornadys. So after 700 or so rounds and two mule deer with the 6.8 SPC.

I decided to build the .243 LBC which has the shorter parents case and can handle the cartridge over all length with the heavies loaded at magazine length. Which is 2.300 with my current ASC magazines(6.8 SPC mags).

The bullet I built the rifle for is the 95gr Berger VLD Hunting bullet. If I can get close to 3000 fps with them I will be extremely happy.

6x6.8 SPC

[Linked Image]

The 90gr Accubond(6x6.8 SPC)70 yards on a Mule deer.

[Linked Image]

The 95gr Hornady SST (6x6.8 SPC) 287 yards on a Mule deer.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Look's good.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by SMACK
This rifle was built from hindsight. I first built one in a 6x6.8 SPC, it was fine for bullets up to 90gr or so but the 6.8 Cartridge is longer than the Grendel cartridge and I wanted to shoot the heavies 95gr VLD's and heavier Hornadys. So after 700 or so rounds and two mule deer with the 6.8 SPC.

I decided to build the .243 LBC which has the shorter parents case and can handle the cartridge over all length with the heavies loaded at magazine length. Which is 2.300 with my current ASC magazines(6.8 SPC mags).

The bullet I built the rifle for is the 95gr Berger VLD Hunting bullet. If I can get close to 3000 fps with them I will be extremely happy.

6x6.8 SPC

[Linked Image]

The 90gr Accubond(6x6.8 SPC)70 yards on a Mule deer.

[Linked Image]

The 95gr Hornady SST (6x6.8 SPC) 287 yards on a Mule deer.

[Linked Image]

What velocity were you running the 6.8 SPC with those two bullets?
Reason I ask is I have a 6.8 AR Performance barreled upper(16 inch) that should be here in a week or so but will be shooting the 120 SST Hornady factory load.
Think the 120 SST will work all right on similiar sized deer for say 50 yards to 200 yards ?

IC B3

SMACK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Around 2980, I imagine I could have pushed harder but I was getting 1/2 MOA.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by SMACK
Around 2980, I imagine I could have pushed harder but I was getting 1/2 MOA.

Wow that is smoking !
What barrel length?

SMACK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
22" barrel

Here is the pic of the Magnetto speed after a 3 shot string, from a friends 24" barrel chambered in .243 LBC. Shooting the 95gr Berger VLD's over 8208 powder. The load shoots under 1/2 MOA .

[Linked Image]

SMACK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gave the 105gr Hornady A-Max's a go today. Conditions were less than ideal. Switching, gusty winds up to 10mph or so with a drizzle of rain here and there, 50 degrees.

All and all I was pleased with my initial results with the A-Max's. Definitely MOA of RockChuck. All groups were 5 shots at 100 yards. I fired the first group with a super clean cold bore using the 105 Hornadys. Then I shot the 105gr A-Max groups.

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
How many BHW barrels have you dealt with in .243 LBC? I've been real torn between a 6.5 Grendel and either a 6mmAR/.243LBC or 6mm V Fat Rat. I want a 20-22" barrel with the most payoff. I had been leaning towards the Grendel because I'm shooting a 6.5 Creed and could run a common bullet but I'm not married to the idea. Every time I see a 6mm version I start to sway.

SMACK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A Black Hole barrel in a 22" , 8 twist. Chambered in .264 LBC would be a exellent choice. I own three and have shot and built many others. They have their 8 twist, 6.5 barrels dialed in.

The .264 LBC has been their most consistent performer for me accuracy wise. With the 123gr A-Max and SST. They even shoot the 130gr Accubond well.

This is a 7 shot group at 100 yards with a Black Hole 18" SPR barrel. Chambered in .264 LBC with a 8 twist.

[Linked Image]

Same barrel at 100 yards with factory Hornady 123gr A-Max and 123gr SST 6.5 Grendel ammunition.

These were shot with a cold clean bore, the clean bore shot was always predictable.

[Linked Image]

Some .264 LBC's

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks for the feedback. Do you know if BHW will do rifle-plus length gas path or is rifle length gas as long as they go? How fast are you able to push the 123gn bullets? I have lots of 123gn SMK but only a few hundred 123gn A-MAX left. I would like to hit 2500fps minimum. My goal is to equal or beat a large frame .308 for DMM and have a companion gasser to my Creedmoor bolt gun for partner matches where we aren't required to shoot .308 rifles.

I know there are some variable but is #13 about what your builds end up weighing?

SMACK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A 22" barrel in a .264 LBC will give you 2500 plus with the 123gr A-Max's easy. Longer barreled AR's aren't light. You can keep them around 11lbs if you dump the PRS stock and go with a ACS-L.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
11# works just fine. That's where my current rig is sitting. I'll use a Luth AR MBA3 in place of the PRS since my lower has a carbine extension. I had also looked at Proof barrels for the Grendel but haven't decided. Not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze on that one.

SMACK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Took the .243 LBC out to 300 yards today to get my real world dope for drop from my 100 yard zero. I had a series of dots strung vertically at 300 yards. Slight right to left breeze and a slight rain/drizzle. With my 100 yard zero, I held the top dot and fired three. Drove out and measured the group and the drop. The 3 shot group (Bottom target in the photo) printed .925 and was exactly 12" low at 300 yards from my 100 yard zero. I then drove back to the bench dialed 4 MOA up on my turret and fired 5 at 300 yards for a group (Top target in the photo) the 5 shot group printed 1.388

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

255 members (01Foreman400, 257 mag, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 2UP, 10Glocks, 31 invisible), 1,335 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,550
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.