Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
Looking to purchase some goslings to look after our chickens. I want them to be a good alarm in case of coyotes or wolves and tough enough to handle smaller predators until my wife or I can back them up. My wife also wants them to be neutral towards others as she does have people over often. She doesn't want to have to lock them up if company is expected.

I would consider swans but had some bad experiences with them as a small child. Relating those stories to my wife has soured her on that idea.

We don't have a pond or other water close by but was thinking of digging a smallish pond for them. If I do it close enough I can use the hose to keep it filled. Or I could sink a shallow stock tank into the ground for the same purpose.

Any suggestions as to breeds would be greatly appreciated.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WE used to have a couple of big white ones...don't know the breed...the Gander loved my wife but hated me and my dogs.....the wife finally let me kill the miserable SOB after he half killed a pup of hers....I didn't have any thing against the female so I "relocated" her to the city park to live happily ever after in a pond full of other inbreed fowl.....

NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
Sorry about the title, it did not look like that when I hit Send.

Also, sorry to hear about that gander, it is pretty much a mirror of what happened with swans. I have heard ganders were pretty protective and have been shying away from them. A couple of females wouldn't be bad and the advantage of some eggs would help things along.

I still have some time before ordering, it seems the white ones and the greys are the most common. If I could get a couple of Canada's to take up residence I would probably be set.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yea....the eggs were the only plus but we had chickens sooooo...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The White Breeds are Chinese Geese or Embden Geese. Something to remember about Geese is that they are like Doberman Pinchers, They can be handled frequently when young to become docile and nonaggressive towards the Owner but they almost always tend to remain aggressive towards all outsiders. Sebbies or African Geese tend to be more gentle but they still like to protect their territory just like the rest.

Curious if you have ever given any thought to adding Guinea Fowl instead? Guinea hens can also tend to be aggressive at times but the Bird coming at you is not as LARGE and intimidating. Guineas can be tamed pretty well if handled very frequently when they are young Keets.

Guineas are a GREAT Fowl to warn of predators and will eventually even train your other Fowl to jam for the Hen House when a Predator is around. They are low maintenance and are about the best there is for eating Ticks and other Insects in your yard and love to kill Snakes.

http://www.guineafarm.com/guinea-farm-products/guinea-fowl/

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 03/06/16.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
The White Breeds are Chinese Geese or Embden Geese. Something to remember about Geese is that they are like Doberman Pinchers, They can be handled frequently when young to become docile and nonaggressive towards the Owner but they almost always tend to remain aggressive towards all outsiders. Sebbies or African Geese tend to be more gentle but they still like to protect their territory just like the rest.

Curious if you have ever given any thought to adding Guinea Fowl instead? Guinea hens can also tend to be aggressive at times but the Bird coming at you is not as LARGE and intimidating. Guineas can be tamed pretty well if handled very frequently when they are young Keets.

Guineas are a GREAT Fowl to warn of predators and will eventually even train your other Fowl to jam for the Hen House when a Predator is around. They are low maintenance and are about the best there is for eating Ticks and other Insects in your yard and love to kill Snakes.

Guinea's are great......if you hate your neighbors....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by Bugout4x4

Guinea's are great......if you hate your neighbors....

Lol...True! we raised them for awhile, I thought they tasted pretty good.

I have to share a story about a Friend's Guinea. My Buddy had a Wrecking Yard and after almost being sued by a THIEF because his Junk Yard Dog Bit the Guy he decided to get some Guineas as alarm animals instead.

They were all LOUD but fairly Docile except for one Cock named "General Peckerhead". This Bird would wait until we were under something, where it was hard to move quickly, and then sneak attack us.

Old General Peckerhead didn't last long and ended up in the pot. smile

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
Have neighbors who had guineas and peafowl, ain't gonna work around here as they are too loud. Maybe if we had only hen guineas it would work but it would have to clear the wife.

We had geese on the farm (along with the swan mentioned earlier) and they were not nearly as aggressive as many have stated. It might have been in comparison with the swan but I remember always getting along with them. I am looking at geese as we have a fairly large problem with predators of all shapes and sizes from weasels up to wolves and black bears. I was hoping for something that could handle the smaller predators (up to raccoon and fox, maybe coyotes) themselves and be a good alarm for the larger ones.

I will probably order some African geese as they seem to have the most comments regarding gentleness or maybe some greylags as I like their look. Thanks for the suggestions.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 53 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,831
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.