I Wear the Black Hat -Chuck Klosterman

This is a good read-it's not what I expected. If you can get over the fact that it's not a conventional collection of similarly themed essays converging on a single point and tied together with a neat conclusion then I think you can appreciate it. His essays typically don't fit the "proper" format and that's what make them unique and fun to read.

I didn't agree with him on everything (Joe Paterno/McQueery for example) and not all assertions were as solid as others. However, there's a lot of good stuff in here and I found most of it intriguing. Our culture is obsessed with villains and Klosterman's take on that is at least entertaining if not always compelling (much of it is compelling). I especially enjoyed his thoughts on O.J. Simpson, the Clinton/Lewisnky scandal, Muhammad Ali, Nickelback, Ted Bundy and Adolf Hitler.

If you've never heard of Chuck Klosterman I highly recommend him. His forte is pop culture and sports. Here are some examples, if you hate these you probably won't enjoy the book:

On Mountain Dew

On Baseball and Steroids

On Football and Steroids

On Harry Potter

On Fighting