R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
turnips are huge also

FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have the radishes worked better than turnips after it freezes?

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You can throw a lot of money at plots. We always take the simple approach: wheat and 13-13-13. Cheap and deer/turkey love it. The soil in most of our plots is pretty terrible, it's mostly sand, iron ore, and red clay. Wheat and oats grow just fine with 13-13-13 and enough rain.

Almost got screwed this year due to lack of rain. I planted 2 days before a 90% rain prediction, but never got a drop. The seed sat for 3 weeks before we finally got a shower. The birds had a field day during that time, but it seems enough was covered.

I hunted this plot last week one eve and saw 11 doe and 2 bucks munching down on the wheat:
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My wife took a panoramic pic with her highfalutin phone. This stuff is ridiculous. We haven't had a night below 45 since we planted it at the end of August and it doesn't look like we're going to anytime soon. At the rate it's going the stuff is going to be 4 feet tall with turnips the size of basketballs by rifle season.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
You can throw a lot of money at plots. We always take the simple approach: wheat and 13-13-13.

This makes a lot of sense, especially in new fields. I think I'm going to go this route on our problem areas. It should also help a lot with soil conditioning.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RandyR

turnips are better after a freeze.

radishes just rot away

FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rockchucker
Originally Posted by RandyR

turnips are better after a freeze.

radishes just rot away

Turnips get eaten too early here and we haven't tried radishes yet. I had read that radishes aerate the soil better for a crop the following year.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
You can throw a lot of money at plots. We always take the simple approach: wheat and 13-13-13. Cheap and deer/turkey love it. The soil in most of our plots is pretty terrible, it's mostly sand, iron ore, and red clay. Wheat and oats grow just fine with 13-13-13 and enough rain.

Almost got screwed this year due to lack of rain. I planted 2 days before a 90% rain prediction, but never got a drop. The seed sat for 3 weeks before we finally got a shower. The birds had a field day during that time, but it seems enough was covered.

I hunted this plot last week one eve and saw 11 doe and 2 bucks munching down on the wheat:
[Linked Image]

Your plot is looking much better than mine. We went from the last week of Aug. til mid Oct. without any rain, so I waited and planted the morning before the Oct. rain. We got .7" and that was enough to get the wheat and oat up and going. It was suppose to rain 2 weeks ago, so I lightly top dressed with 8-8-8, but no rain came. Plot looks ok, but we need a rain.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My plots look really marginal this year. Only got one decent October rain on them. Going to have to overseed with rye and fertilizer when (if) the rainy season ever gets here. Hot and dry in the fall certainly stinks. We never even got to plant last year due to drought. Wet early summers both years, but dry falls. Go figure.......

Now with even more aplomb
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
OM,

I got lucky on that area pictured as we got several inches in a big storm a few weeks back.

JP,

My Union plots look just ok. They are really green in bottoms, but only a few inches tall on the hills. We've only had one light rain up there, not even enough to wet mud puddles.

It's definitely been a strange Oct for weather, but looks like Nov is going to be a little better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RL,

We missed that rain yall got a couple weeks ago, it all went south of us.

I saw yesterday where Union Parish is under a burn ban. I've been over there 1 or 2 days, every week for a month now, and it's really dry.

Its cloudy today and a 20% chance. Sure hope we get a shower.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like oats in the winter. Deer like it better than wheat or rye.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
We have not even planted yet; 52 days without rain and no precipitation outlook for the next 3 weeks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prm
Looking for advice on a spring food plot in Northern Virginia. I anticipate two small plots roughly 40 yd X 40 yd each.

Had decent luck with oats in the fall, this is my first spring at this location. It's mountainous terrain with plots cut out of the woods. One is along a small power line and the other over my septic system. Still need to do a soil sample on each.

How did your plots turn out?

We put clover mixes in 2 of our fields with the requisite lime and fertilizer per soil test. Started clearing them in late 2015, limed in early 2016, and fertilized and planted in September 2016. It came up right away but the deer were keeping them mowed down all winter to the point I started thinking they weren’t going to survive. Then went I went up in late April I got a pleasant surprise.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The mix we used had a bunch of stuff in it, but from what we’re seeing the red clover, chicory and trefoil either didn’t grow or got eaten to death. The crimson clover and white clovers grew good, but the Dutch clover is underperforming the Ladino and Alsike. We planted Balansa clover on a field in February that had brassicas last year and Durana on another one with annual rye mixed in and so far they look very promising. They’re both white clover.

Based on that, we’re going to start making our own mixes and spend our money on white clovers (Ladino, Durana, Alsike, Balansa), crimson clover, and use cheap annual rye as a cover crop.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Make sure that "annual rye" is grain variety, also known as winter rye, and not annual ryegrass. The latter can be harder to get rid of later.

Here's a few of my plots that were seeded with a clover mixture with rye and a bit of oats as a nurse crop this spring.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just a general question for you guys running spring plots. Do you still have game using the plots much after the spring green-up and into the summer months?

I run cams year round and deer almost completely stop grazing plots when the spring green-up comes in in April. They move to natural plants/vegetation here, but they will still come to mineral throughout the summer months. It's not even worth the hassle to plant anything other than fall/winter plots. It's very thick here with a ton of natural vegetation and ample rainfall, so I'm sure that plays a major role.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Depends.

Here, the clover doesn't get as much action first thing in the spring--thinking like you because it is just a big buffet out there and a number of wild plants are preferred. The fawning does are more reclusive, too.

Clover gets more more play we get into summer but they will walk across clover to get to buckwheat, if I plant it. After the first frost or so, they turn their attention to carbs and winter rye or winter wheat become the draw.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Use goes way down in the spring for us. I think because of the natural buffet at that time. If the winter rye is allowed to mature, I have found them using it to drop fawns. Exception to the spring "lull" is if I plant soybeans. Young soybeans get hammered at my place. I just wish I had the machinery/acreage to plant more of them...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Same here in the spring. The fields were full of tracks and they were eating the clover down to the nub all winter into the last week of March to the point I was getting ready to put up tape, then I went back up at the end of April turkey hunting and it was halfway up to my knees.

I can't even get buckwheat to grow more than an inch or 2 before the deer and turkeys mow it down. The deer snip it off and the turkeys pluck the whole plant out.

I'm starting to think that crimson clover will grow on blacktop.

Any of you guys ever try triticale?

Last edited by rlott; 05/23/17.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
130 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 16 invisible), 1,890 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,659
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.