Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Possibly a stupid question given that I've been measuring runout - where do you guys measure runout on the bullet? I always thought it was measured on the ogive. I noticed in the Sinclair video they run the indicator close to the ogive in one shot and closer to the bullet tip on another. Which got me to looking on the interweb. Some guys measure it on the ogive, at least one source in a Wolffe pub says run it on the "parallel sides of the bullet" (VanDenburg), while others are forward of the ogive.

What say you guys?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On the ogive very near the body. That's where it's going to go into the lands.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use whatever the instructions say that came with the tool. With the Hornady gauage it said to measure on the ogive, so I did. With the RCBS it said to measure about 0.1" in front of the case mouth, so I did.

What do the instructions for the Sinclair tool say to do?

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
bwinters,

I have a home made runout measurer. Since I got it from a friend I measure where I saw him measure; right behind the plastic tip.

What are the advantages of the other two places?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When do we get into making gold out of base metal? smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The instructions and/or the video don't say. I called them and they said measure the loaded round on the neck which doesn't seem quite right. The wolffe article may have a good point with respect to measure on the "parallel side of the bullet". The thought is that any movement of the case longitudinally will cause the dial to slide along the long axis of the bullet giving inaccurate run-out measurements. I think that is more of a theoretic argument. If your case head is that warped, you have bigger issues than a couple thousands of run-out.

I'll keep doing it at the ogive. Measuring it out towards the tip would magnify any run-out due to the further distance along the axis of the bullet away from the crooked neck. It seems intuitive that the most important point is where the bullet contacts the lands/grooves, not the bullet point.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (Akhutr, Berksbowman, batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, 14 invisible), 1,541 guests, and 842 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,208
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.