Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
The course of my project changed a bit but I have a 6.5CM Ruger M77 Predator on the way along with a standard fill McMillan Game Scout to drop it in to. I know there is the Weigand base that mounts to the Ruger rail as well as the option of drill and tapping for one of many bases on the market. Any opinions on the better option or other choices that I'm missing? The reason for the question is probably a bit illogical but I have a strong preference for rings that mount this way and I already have the 30mm rings I will need as well.

The Weigand working loose is my fear but I have no first hand experience, that said it is simpler than getting it drilled.

Gun will be used for informal LR steel, deer, and maybe the occasional PRS match that I have no intention of performing well in. If it matters the scope will be a 4.5-27 Athlon Midas BTR.

Thanks,
Nick

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Those picatinny rails for rugers are worthless...they sit up way too high. It will be compounded by the low comb of the Game scout. Get some warne rings...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
boolchit..... a little high maybe, but not 'way too high'. EGW 20 moa D&T base works great.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Look at the gap under your scope bell. Not even close to optimum, and that isn't Game Scout.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The Wigatinni is a POS. Certainly for 30MM you'll not get lower than Ruger Rings. If you are going to tap your receiver for a rail, buy extra taps, drills and a punch for chipping broken taps out. It was like turn 1/100 inch back out lube turn backout lube turn break chit sob chit.... Enjoy that rifle.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ruger rings may not be the sexiest ring on the market but they are a solid mount, I don't understand why someone would get a base that clamps on the Ruger bases, that just gives another joint that could loosen up. Or D&T a Ruger, what advantage would D&Ting a Ruger and putting on a Pic base over just using Ruger rings besides killing the value of the gun.

It's your gun so do as you please but IMO either use Ruger rings or get a rifle that you can easilly put a Pic base on like a Remington or Winchester.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
The only reason I was looking to do this was to add a 20moa base. I have come to the conclusion that while I would like to learn enough to actually need that base it likely won't happen.
Though when I ordered the stock I made the assumption that comb height wouldn't be an issue, I'm wondering now after reading some reviews that even using the factory rings I may be wanting for a bit more height... Should I move to an HTG or Ruger hunter?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have two Game Scouts. One on a remmy, one on a tikka. Comb is OK. I'd want adjustable comb if going with a 56 mm scope though. On my Ruger I have the "hunter." It is the sako pattern. Nice comb, and palm swell, but I wish the forearm was a tad wider. I'll snap a pic.

Ps, I didn't know they offered the Game Scout for rugers???

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Ruger Hunter:

[Linked Image]

Warne rings, 50 mm scope.

[Linked Image]

Forearm with factory spotter contour.

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for the pics! I like that hunter better than I did when looking at pics on McMillan's site. Thinking i might call and change the order as I'm just not comfortable without my head buried on the stock.

I didn't know that would inlet the game scout for it either, I just called and it was mentioned as an option when talking to Heather. I like the vertical grip and thin fiend but I think it's the only stock that combines those two things, nothing with any more comb.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I like the hunter a lot. Very comfortable to shoot.

PS, if you get a scope with a good adjustment range, you can do without a 20 moa rail.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for the help, I'll call and get the order changed tomorrow. The scope has an advertised 60 MOA of total adjustment, looks like I need roughly 29 to get to 1k so it will be close.. Went out on a limb an ordered an Athlon Midas BTR 4.5-27 that will be here next week.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

If Ruger had built-in low Picatinny slots it would be awesomist. Or a design that allowed a 1/8" rise 30mm.

I did not like the height the lowest Ruger 30s (#4/#5) ended up so got a EGW rail. Liked the 20moa but not the darned extra 1/8" height. Had to use a stock pack with cheek pad, in the original stock. But then again, a 6.5 Creedmoor with 20moa and a 10X SS will get you out a mile...

Or they could just have D&T receivers like normal rifles....
[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
You would think these d&t based could be milled out on the bottom enough to at least sit flush with the top of the receiver, completely covering the integrated scope mounts???

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Its a shame Ruger didn't come up with a better base option. They have the best short action magazine latitude at 2.900", so its begging to shoot long range.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Well I changed the stock order to an HTG. Never owned one but handled HTG stocked rifles in the past and always liked the way they filled your hand without the over the top, almost prone only A series stocks.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
HTG combs aren't very high either. I see a lot of stock packs on those.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
The guy at McMillan mentioned it would be noticeably higher than the game scout though I know what you mean about seeing a lot of stock packs on them. At this point I'm just going to wait and see how it turns out.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1234, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 66 invisible), 2,155 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,099
Posts18,464,161
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.