Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Squirrelnut
I am completely confused. He had two kids and his wife and he separated about a year ago but it seemed amicable and just saw them together last week and they seemed happy. Now this. He acted like nothing was wrong.

Sad.. So Sad.. In the 1980s I was making a payment at my regular gun shop on my .270 Ruger. The gun shop was my hangout.. I was on my way out and the beautiful girl walked in.. She was taping a checkbook on her shoulder... I spun right around on my heel. She was looking for a pistol to shoot a groundhog.. We talked and found out her soon to be husband was a Vet at the local Zoo.. She would go shooting with her father as a little girl.. They had just moved in a few months ago and now she had a groundhog problem.. Her name was Sue.. We/I talked her into a rifle,a 22mag.. She did not want the bullet to travel very far after she shot the GH.. She was stunning in her confidence and beauty.... We talked for a while.. She paid for the gun and left.. I noticed she left the receipt.. I offered to drop it by her house on my was home.. I knew where she lived.. Anyway a few days later I went to the shop and the Late Howard Lane, a Korean war vet, said "What in the hell did you do, ask her out"?? I ask wtf are you talking about.. He said Sue drove home about a mile away and killed herself as soon as she got home..... I was the last person to talk with her.. This rocked me.. A few years later I was Skeet Shooting with a shrink that became my friend.. He said once they make decision to take their life the confidence level go's thru the roof and there is no way in hell you would have seen it coming.................. This is so sad..

Keep the kids in your life !!!

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. Make sure to take care of yourself as you go through thiws.

Keep your eye on the fruit........
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Though it seems incomprehensible to most of us, those that come to the conclusion that death is their only answer are usually severely depressed or ill in one way or the other.

So sorry for you and his family.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
True.

Keep a watch on everyone's mental state.

Even a mild depression can trigger a chemical imbalance and there they go down the vortex.

It's usually a temporary problem that's easily corrected by serotonin-re-uptake drugs so don't allow anyone to put off treatment.

The issue is never the issue. The issue is always the revolution.

David Horowitz, Saul Alinsky and every woman I've ever argued with.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very saddening, and another sober reminder about our individual complexities - that we can and do hide such things away in secret chambers, places where others cannot go or see. Often those secrets leave with the person - not ours to know - never were. Best to not try.

My heart goes out to you. Some above give very good advice. Do remember the best things about him and the good shared times - and try to leave the best mark through what you can do with and for those youngsters.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Sadly, we simply do not know what others struggle with. Just be assured, it is not on you. God's peace.

Well said.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
This is sad and my heart goes out to you and the family.

I have had to deal with a number of suicides with students where I work. We never really know why a person with so much to live for and give, takes their own life. Some have signs that when you look back they started to act different - less contact with friends, poor finances. The thing is that you cannot punish yourself over the unknown demons that they choose to carry inside.

All best. Friends, family and time will heal the wound.

Hugh
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank your for you kindness fellas, been a rough weekend. Someone asked if there was a note, there wasn't. As someone posted earlier I am now firmly convinced that if one contemplating this could know the pain and carnage for those left behind they wouldn't do it. I have gained an entirely new perspective on this in the last couple of days.

God bless.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Be strong.

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Sad news, sorry for your loss.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
IC B3

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
We will never know why.

On April 1 last year I got a text from his wife that a very good friend and neighbor had shot himself.

We didn't think it was all that funny.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Be aware that these things can be catchy. A friend, wife, or children will keep dwelling on it until they try it themselves.

Talking to friends (like here) helps, see a counselor, grieve openly, do not hold it in.

There may be an unspoken worry, health problem, money trouble which trigger it.

I have heard that "everyone" changes their mind when it is too late. (unsuccessful attempts). You don't get to see the chaos and troubles you cause.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have experianced this a few times in my life
Its horrible
I am sorry for all

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ya know, suicide is very common, yet rarely gets the attention it deserves. I can think of several people I've known who have gone out that way. Can't think of a single person that has accidentally OD'ed, save for an aunt who drank herself to death, which is similar, I guess. Car accidents have taken a few. But by and large, suicide has gotten most of them. Hadn't really thought out the numbers until now, but they're tragic.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
One of my best friends lost his oldest son to it last year. He left behind a 4 year old boy that was his world. He had been depressed over his ex and his parents talked to him just before it happened. He assured them he would never do anything crazy that because he had too much to lose with his boy. He did it later that week. I've hunted with him since he was a kid. Truly tragic and the family is still devastated.

Depression is a physical disease that can be as deadly as any cancer. It's impossible to understand until you've had depression yourself. It can be treated if caught but it's not always easy to spot. Some of the nicest people that seem happy on the outside are really struggling underneath it all. Always try to treat people, even strangers with kindness because you never really know what they're dealing with. In a dark spot it can sometimes go a long ways but sometimes like cancer there is nothing anyone can do or could have done.

Bb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Sadly, we simply do not know what others struggle with.

fwiw & imho,
Truer words have never been spoken...

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Happens far more often than it should and knows no boundaries. Sorry for your loss.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Andy,

was your friend a military combat vet or LEO by chance?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Nebraska

Sorry to hear about your friend, my heart goes out to you and your family. As far as moving forward, I'd take that advice. frown
Best said, that...

Even more tragic for the poor kids..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Squirrelnut
I am completely confused. He had two kids and his wife and he separated about a year ago but it seemed amicable and just saw them together last week and they seemed happy. Now this. He acted like nothing was wrong.

There is no why and I'd not focus on it or worry about it, because it will get you NO WHERE.

Do what you can for his kids and live a good life.

Its normal to ask why.... it'll never be known, he took it with him, they why part.

Follow the advice above the best you can. Be there for his ex wife and kids as they need it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 61 invisible), 3,033 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.