Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by shaman
The Kamp-rite is a lot different than a GI cot. It's a tent/cot or a cot/tent.

I don't have any direct knowledge of them, but I remember a conversation a few years ago regarding a similar request for information. The fellow had a compact car and was driving to state park campgrounds to turkey hunt and wanted something he could throw up quickly late at night.

Folks talked him out of it. As I remember the concerns were along the lines of

a) a pop-up tent was easier to set up.
b) sleeping with a foam pad on the ground was going to be warmer than sleeping on a cot

Having done a lot of what this fellow was describing, namely driving to state park campgrounds, arriving late and having to grab a quick bit of shut-eye before hunting, I have to concur. I also have to say that I've never been all that comfortable sleeping on cots like that-- much prefer being on the ground.
[b][/b]

This past hunting season I was camped in the Sierra Mountains at around 8500 ft. There was a camp down the trail were they had 8-10 of the kamp-rite tent/cots in a circle around their camp fire.

My first thoughts were that they had to be cold since it was cold and with strong winds. I know I turned my little buddy heater on in my Cabelas Extreme Weather Tent.

Ted
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The only way to use cot and backpacking together is to talk about those ultralight cots that sell for well over $200.

I agree with that. The comments between JSUART and I don't really address the OP's question anyway, they're from something he carried over from the fitness thread.

The piece of gear the OP mentioned is not a regular cot and weighs 34 lbs. so it's obviously not meant for backpackers.
[i][/i]

Oh I don't know. You probably could use it for backpacking but you'd have to leave the ice chest full of beer and steaks behind. wink

Oh, and the cast iron dutch oven.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Oh, that brings back the good old days. Several of us were camping at a lake in Idaho's White Cloud Mtns, about 8 miles in. A guy showed up with his 2 small daughters. They camped near us and we visited their camp. Get this: his pack included 3 sleeping bags, an old style umbrella tent (the one with the internal spider frame), and a 12" cast iron frying pan. His boots were leaving tracks 4" deep on solid ground.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
That's my cot! Well, mine is all metal! But I love that cot! Adjustable springs, crossbars on the ground... with a Thermarest on it I have the most comfortable bed that is possible.

If anyone knows where to get one of these I really would appreciate hearing about it. Mine is pretty well worn out.

There are no top crossbars, head or foot. I don't mind the one at the head (the pillow goes there anyway)but the foot bar on the army jobs kills my knees. My feet are pushed too high for my knees to touch the mattress. And it doesn't have legs that sink into the ground or kill your tent floor.

And the adjustable spring tension is a great thing. It allows compensation for cloth stretch with age.

It packs 38" long and 5" across. Weighs 13 pounds, so certainly not for backpacking (unless horses or llamas are involved.

But the stickers and paperwork are long gone... Can anyone tell me where I can find another??

Sam
and "Appy Trails, to you..."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh, that brings back the good old days. Several of us were camping at a lake in Idaho's White Cloud Mtns, about 8 miles in. A guy showed up with his 2 small daughters. They camped near us and we visited their camp. Get this: his pack included 3 sleeping bags, an old style umbrella tent (the one with the internal spider frame), and a 12" cast iron frying pan. His boots were leaving tracks 4" deep on solid ground.

laugh

Funny thing, probably pure hellish torture on him and they probably talked about it as a great memory from then on.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think this is about the lightest cot on the market, made by Therm-a-rest. It weighs 2lb 12oz and costs over $200.
Big Agnes makes a similar one, about the same weight and price.

[Linked Image]

I have one.
Very comfy.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think this is about the lightest cot on the market, made by Therm-a-rest. It weighs 2lb 12oz and costs over $200.
Big Agnes makes a similar one, about the same weight and price.

[Linked Image]

Pard has used one of these last two seasons. Says it makes a diff for his old bones

I'm still on a pad on the ground. But starting to think about doubling up on pads. Maybe exped on top of therma rest. But not for true backpacking. Then light is right

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A good combination is a light air mattress together with an insulite pad of some kind. I have a couple waffle insulite pads that I got from Wally's for about $15 each. They weigh almost nothing and work great to triple the insulation of an air mattress. They are a bit bulky, though.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have Cabela's version of the cot-tent. It's decent for car camping. However, with the fly on, it's tight enough for pretty serious condensation. If it's not too cold and windy, I like it better with the fly removed, just use the mesh for bug protection, and hang a tarp overhead a bit. I use it with Cabela's cot pad and a WM semi-rectangular bag .. best sleep I've gotten away from home, better than many good hotels' beds.

Backpacking ... NeoAir. If you don't mind another half pound to pound, a folding Z mat. Protects the NeoAir from puncture, adds warmth underneath, and I think it about triples the comfort despite only 3/4ths inch of thickness. Well worthwhile if you're not going truly UL.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Backpacking ... NeoAir. If you don't mind another half pound to pound, a folding Z mat. Protects the NeoAir from puncture, adds warmth underneath, and I think it about triples the comfort despite only 3/4ths inch of thickness. Well worthwhile if you're not going truly UL.
Something often overlooked is the affect of rocks and sticks on an air mattress. Even if a rock doesn't puncture it, it can put enough pressure on a seam to weaken it. A pad underneath can keep your mattress alive longer in addition to holding the heat.

― George Orwell

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
679 members (16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 76 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.