Hop To
Page 4 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 18 19
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Originally Posted by jwall
I've always REALLY like that pic.

Jerry

Yes I agree. Plus Phil ought to patent that camo pattern.

Thought that was muzzle tape?

Phil what bullets do you like in the 06?
180/200 Partition?

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I guess this shows the tremendous improvements in bullets in the last few years, as this is what Bill Pinnell, the "P" part of Pinnell and Talifson, the famous Kodiak Island brown bear guides, said about the 7mm on bears: "the .30-06 is the smallest rifle anyone ought to rely on for big bear hunting. Some years ago, many hunters touted the 7mm magnum as the cure-all cartridge. But you got to riddle the bear to kill it with a 7mm magnum. "

P&T outfitted from the early 50s thru the 90s so when the 7 came out, probably few bullets in the 7s were ideal for the big bears and I suspect very few of their hunters used handloads. P&T sure weren't gun men, but weren't short on experience with bears as they guided a total of 784 hunters, almost all after brown bears. So I suppose that when it came to factory cartridges and loads they'd pretty much seen it all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bill Pinnell carried this surplus 8mm on Kodiak until after WWII

[Linked Image]

I have a copy of their brochure and they recommended clients bring a 30-06 or larger.

My preference in the 30-06 ( and most any other 30 caliber for that matter) is the 200 Partition

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like the wool shirt....who makes that? smile

Old Filson? MilSurp?

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/09/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
My coworker spent a lot time with P&T his late brother guided for P&T had some great pictures, he said they had quite a gun room and had lots of guns. P&T got real upset at my buddy for shooting birds in the cannery with a 22 from the gun room. Something about xtra ventilation in the Tin Roof!

Went to a gun show on Kodiak around 84 and there were 5 or 6 Winchester 71 levers, that were P&T old guns, wished I would have bought one now!

Last edited by kk alaska; 04/09/16.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B2

yar Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Copied this from Alaskan Department of Fish and Game.

Big Magnums Not Needed

The rifle you bring hunting should be one with which you are comfortable. Because of the presence of brown and grizzly bears, many hunters have been convinced that a .300, .338, .375, or .416 magnum is needed for personal protection and to take large Alaska game. This is simply not true. The recoil and noise of these large cartridges is unpleasant at best and plainly painful to many shooters. It is very difficult to concentrate on shot placement when your brain and body remembers the unpleasant recoil and noise which occurs when you pull the trigger on one of the big magnums.

The two most common complaints of professional Alaska guides are hunters who are not in good physical condition and hunters who cannot accurately shoot their rifles. Because these hunters do not practice enough they cannot shoot accurately enough. They miss their best chance at taking their dream animal or worse yet, they wound and lose an animal. Most experienced guides prefer that a hunter come to camp with a .270 or .30-06 rifle they can shoot well rather than a shiny new magnum that has been fired just enough to get sighted-in. If you are going to hunt brown bear on the Alaska Peninsula or Kodiak Island, a .30-06 loaded with 200- or 220-grain Nosler® or similar premium bullet will do the job with good shot placement. Only consider using a .300, .338 or larger magnum if you can shoot it as well as you can the .30-06.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
yar -

Thanks for posting that.

Humm, 270 Win or 30-06......well I guess that says a lot by what all is not said.
smile smile smile

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by waterrat
175 Nosler Partitions through the lungs and you'll have your bear. Just accept the fact that your guide will be in full readiness to back him up if the 7 doesn't flatten his bear!

Some have a bit more experience than others... while I do not like Partitions as much as Waterrat I sure as Hell would not argue with him...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
175 Nosler Partitions through the lungs and you'll have your bear. Just accept the fact that your guide will be in full readiness to back him up if the 7 doesn't flatten his bear!

I'm not arguing about a bullet thru the lungs killing the bear.

Jerry

Sitka - I agree w/you and so stated in my post.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'm not arguing about a bullet thru the lungs killing the bear.

Jerry

Sitka - I agree w/you and so stated in my post.

Jerry

Sitka, jwall I'm not set in my ways too bad it's just that I have a friend that uses the 175 NP to great success and has a huge selection of expanded bullets that are perfect. In our house,
222 Horn SP
260 NBT
284 TSX
308 NP & SST
30-06 Horn SP
9X57 Horn RN
35 Gibbs NP
358 Norma Swift AF
400 Whelen Woodleigh
458 Northfork
500 S&W Woodleigh

We have used most other bullets in the past but these just seem to work the best for us now.
300 Savage NP

I tend to use more than enough gun
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
waterrat-

I think there was some mis understanding of my first response in that I was thinking and tried to say that...

there are occasions when the hunter is not given the opportunity to aim at the lungs. I didn't disagree with any of your post, cartridge-bullet.

I was simply emphasising the importance of 'a bullet strong enuff' to anchor a bear in BAD circumstances.

I'm familiar with a few circumstances where hunters were 'surprised' by toothy critters and some of the hunters did not survive the 'worst case scenario'.

OTOH

yar -
Humm, 270 Win or 30-06......well I guess that says a lot by what all is not said.
smile smile smile

Jerry

This quote was not aimed at THIS discussion at all.

I just noted that several cartridges "just as good as" the 270 W are not mentioned.

Separate subject and point.

I hope this clears any misunderstanding. Let's have fun.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I haven't read all the posts but why do we continue to have all these threads about using marginal cartridges on game? A brown bear hunt costs $15,000 to $20,000, so why chintz out and not buy a decent rifle for it? Anyone who can't hit a brown bear in the vitals with a .375 has no business hunting them.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Anyone who can't hit a brown bear in the vitals with a .375 has no business hunting them.

*sigh*

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, bullets from any cartridge smaller than a .375 H&H just bounce off brown bears.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Indy,
how many brown bears have you shot?

LC

yar Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
30-06 marginal ? frown

yar Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All about placement and proper bullet ... shouldn't be taken bad angle shots anyway no matter what you use. It's That simple the way I see it. I would have no qualms using a 7mm Rem mag with the RIGHT bullets myself.

Last edited by yar; 04/09/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I haven't read all the posts but why do we continue to have all these threads about using marginal cartridges on game? A brown bear hunt costs $15,000 to $20,000, so why chintz out and not buy a decent rifle for it? Anyone who can't hit a brown bear in the vitals with a .375 has no business hunting them.

What's really amazing, is the number of people who spend the money, but won't spend the time. Money can buy a good guide, it can buy a good rifle, it can buy good ammo, but it cannot buy you a healthy heart, strong legs, or good rifle skills.

The bigger question is why are people who are willing to spend so much money not willing to spend the time (or understand the need to)?

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Some folks cannot handle the larger recoil. Just a fact of life. Some are much more senstive. Some get sensitive as they get older.

Its all about shot placement in the end, as long as it has enough power and the right bullet is chosen.

My guide buddy stopped I can't recall how many of the rascals with a measly 338... thats not supposed to happen.

Generally when it comes to what to bring, as long as its "enough" then I'd just as soon you pick a good bullet and bring a rifle you can shoot if you go with me.

That minimum caliber varies from game to game obviously....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
How heavy is a brown bears shoulder bone structure compared to an elk or a moose?

Page 4 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1moredeer, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,263 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,395
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.