Print Thread
Hop To
X
x2mosg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
So are these things square and straight enough to skip lapping them, or should I go ahead and square em up?

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't think it would hurt anything either way. I usually don't lap one piece mounts. Good ones are usually machined well enough to not need it.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
X
x2mosg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
I may just give it a good look with the lapping bar, see if it's fairly concentric. If so, throw it together. If not, or obviously off, put the putty to it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agreed........never hurts if it makes you feel better.

You could also buy better mounts, Aero's are OK, but nothing special.

MM

X
x2mosg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
I've had rings and mounts from all price points, and the one thing they pretty much all share, is they aren't 100% true. Some may be a little more consistent than others, but saying buy better mounts is BS. Most all need lapping, regardless of the name stamped on em, IMHO. I realize not everybody laps rings, but I fall in the camp that typically does.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lapping rings really, really matters (unless the mounts are truly,truly bad) on a gun that's capable of bughole groups & very damn few AR's meet that criteria.

So if it soothes your mind, lap away. Likely your AR will never know the difference.........if you don't think better mounts are more concentric & straight, & you intend to lap them anyway, because they're all bad, then just go buy some Tasco's & lap 'em in.

MM

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
never lapped a set of AR rings.

But then again I was only aiming for .5 moa accuracy. Best group unlapped ever was 5 at appx 1.25 inches at 600.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, hell, Jeff, you prolly coulda wrung another 1/4" outta that 1/2" gun if you woulda lapped the rings...........you left money on the table. wink

MM

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I think lapping rings matters more when mounted on a receiver that is not always true front to back like on a bolt gun. Given a one piece mount, I don't think it would make any difference.

X
x2mosg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
Glad you all have had such positive experiences. Mine hasn't been quite so rosy. But, admittedly, my experience with AR mounts has been limited to only one mount, which was the boat anchor that Burris markets, before I knew better. They were pretty bad, but squared up and worked fine with some elbow grease. It's been consistent as far as returning to zero, or scary close, but the machining isn't great by any means, and it's heavy as all hell. Just cheaply made.

I lap bolt gun rings without fail. But I don't run any one piece systems or any on pic rails. I had a local "smith" mount a scope several years ago while he had the gun to fix a bad base hole. He didn't lap the rings, or even use a bar or anything to align them correctly. Turned out to be a mess. I've mounted all my own since then. And had no issues. Unfortunately we have a serious lack of talent around here, for "smiths".

Hopefully this Aero mount will be pretty good. If not, it'll get the bar and slop put to it. And yes, I am a bit anal about some things. Not all for sure.

IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Chinese Burris vs. a quality mount...

"Parts is parts" is a lie.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I also don't see the need to lap the Aero mount.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TWR
Chinese Burris vs. a quality mount...

"Parts is parts" is a lie.

Best group I"ve ever shot with an AR was with a cheap leatherwood scope mount.....it satisfied all my testing for years.

FWIW.

There is no doubt that better built can't hurt. But it isn't always required.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
X
x2mosg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
Mounted it up last night. It was pretty true. I didn't bother lapping. Only ding on the Aero mount is that it "twists" the scope a bit when you start tightening the ring screws. Easy enough to allow for though. Not a big deal at all. Overall I'm happy with it for sure. Lightweight, and seems solid enough for most anything I'll throw at it. It's not Larue strong, but not much is. LOL

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I just treat the Aero mount like the older Weaver scope mounts that twist the scope when you tighten them up. Like you said, easy enough to account for it.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Depending on the contact points, it may be stronger than LaRue.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have not lapped the two that I have. Its a pretty good mount. Regards parts is parts, its all in the odds, with cheap stuff your more likely to get an out of spec part.

How many times do we need to see "my gun is not firing, not cycling, not locking back" etc. etc and every time its a very low cost component.

I have not had an AR-15 not work 100% correctly since I bought a Colt SP-1 when they were fairly new on the market, it was an expensive purchase at the time. (Edited to add, one bushmaster that somehow the FSB was misaligned with upper receiver but it worked and one RRA with the gas key not staked but I staked it.)

On the other hand I guess some people who simply just like Fiat's, Chia pet's, ginsue knives, spray on hair thickener, and frontal lobotomies.

Last edited by jimmyp; 04/10/16.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp

On the other hand I guess some people who simply just like Fiat's, Chia pet's, ginsue knives, spray on hair thickener, and frontal lobotomies.

TFF

[Linked Image]

MM

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,876
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.