Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm asking approximately about cut and wrapped meat, more than a deep freeze could hold?
As much as two full deep freeze loads, or how many ice chests to bring the meat back as extra baggage?
Thanks in advance

BP-B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Stray, in 2014 I shot a cow moose in Wyoming.. They are a smaller species than up north.. We had to quarter her and bring her out in that form.. We took it to a processor near Pinedale and had her done up.. My wife said we got around 300-350 pounds of meat from that one.. Plus we lost what would have been some burger when we left the ribs.. It filled over half a 10 c.f. freezer.. Hope this helps, and best of luck..

Molon Labe
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've been processing moose for a long time.
An average moose in this country weighs 900 to 1000 lbs on the hoof which results in somewhere between 300 to 400 lbs of boneless meat.
I have several freezers here (Box Type--hinged lid on top)5ft long maybe 2ft wide and 3ft deep. An average moose will fill one about 3/4 full, cut and wrapped.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by kkahmann
An average moose in this country weighs 900 to 1000 lbs on the hoof which results in somewhere between 300 to 400 lbs of boneless meat.
I have several freezers here (Box Type--hinged lid on top)5ft long maybe 2ft wide and 3ft deep. An average moose will fill one about 3/4 full, cut and wrapped.

That's what we find too. Expect about 35%-40% of the live weight in boneless meat.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Cariboo

That's what we find too. Expect about 35%-40% of the live weight in boneless meat.

That has been my experience as well.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks guys that was precisely what I wanted to know.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Bear in mind there is no such thing as an average moose--an early calf might only be a hundred pounds. Biggest bull I cut up resulted in 790 lbs of meat and the biggest cow was 832lbs of meat.

I think moose from further west might be larger--the Shiras moose from the mountains are a bit smaller.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by troutfly

That has been my experience as well.

I think my experience has shown me that you get a little less than a third of live weight for freezer ready meat, but I wouldn't argue with kkahmann. He deals with lots of animals.

Only thing I can say is the older I get, the heavier the dead moose feels at the kill site, and the less it weighs at freezer time. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Where you are hunting in Canada makes a difference. In Northern BC moose are bigger than in the southern part of the province and eastern Canada. Moose in the Yukon and Northwest Territories are bigger yet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tuchodi
Where you are hunting in Canada makes a difference. In Northern BC moose are bigger than in the southern part of the province and eastern Canada. Moose in the Yukon and Northwest Territories are bigger yet.

That is very true, moose I've taken around my house average 300 to 400 lbs at the butchers, the ones 5 hours north average 800 to 900 lbs. My biggest up there was 986 lbs, just the 4 quarters.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have boned out a good many very large Alaska-Yukon bulls of 60 inch class......these are flown out in Supercubs and later weighed into a local meat processor at 600 pounds. There will be a bit more cleaning and trimming so I'd think we put 500 pounds in the freezer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
About 50% live weight. less than beef, or we would be raising them instead.LOL

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
cut and wrapped, 4 150 qt coolers, or 2/3 to 3/4 of a 6 foot chest freezers. Thats about average of what I have seen from my moose 950 and 975 live weight.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Some of these replies are IMO not boneless meat, but with the bones in. The largest certified live weight moose went, as I recall (my moose book is 600 miles away...), about 1700 lbs (1695?) at 5 years old. They did not weigh it after that, as it was getting cranky and hard to handle as it reached its full maturity. This was a Yukon/Alaska (largest subspecies) from Interior (largest within the subspecies!), bottle-raised at the Moose Research Center on the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska , with no lack of food or stress from winters and predators.

Now, the larger the animal, the higher the percentage of boneless meat, which is unlikely to go over 50% for a 1700 lb animal and possibly slightly under that. Bone in will add at least 100 lbs on the larger animals. A "yearling" bull moose will likely be closer to 40% boneless to live weight.

I will stipulate that I believe that bulls, which reach their maturity at about 7, may well get heavier than that pampered, but documented! live-weight 5 year old on record. I've seen some with the physique of a Hereford bull, which I wouldn't put money on not to exceed the documented record! And of course they are individuals, with different genetics, even in the same area. The last bull I shot a few miles south of here was tooth-aged at 7, and the cow with him was bigger - the biggest one I've ever seen. I guessed her live weight (at 30 yards) to be in excess of 1,000 lbs - and that's as tight as I'll put it! OK - I personally think she went 1200 to 1300 lbs - but I'm not claiming that. smile
By the way, I have killed 21 Alaska bulls, mostly on the Kenai, several in Interior, and two here in NWArctic. For a couple years I hung out as an occasional volunteer at the Moose Research Center - and even those guys that had the advantage of working with moose every day and weighing them (trained to step on the scales) said they were lucky to be able to guess a moose weight plus or minus 100 lbs. before scaling them. So there's a bit of salt involved here with anyone's "live-weight" guesses. Only a scale tells the unadulterated truth. And that's a difficult thing to get a wild moose to agree with! Dead or alive. smile

I have weighed the boned meat from my largest and smallest bodied 15 month old bulls ("yearlings"). 333 and 270 pounds, respectively. Both were taken on the Kenai, about 5 miles and 3 seasons apart. The largest one had 3 inch stubs for antlers, the smallest one had 16 inch spikes. Go figure! I have weighed the hinds (bone in, off at the knee and without the pelvic girdle) from two bulls that I figured were probably both 5 years old. One was from the Kenai, the other from here in NW Arctic. 110/ 111 lbs for the Kenai bull, and (IIRC) 95 and 97 for the Noatak bull. Just under 100 lbs, anyway.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VernAK
We have boned out a good many very large Alaska-Yukon bulls of 60 inch class......these are flown out in Supercubs and later weighed into a local meat processor at 600 pounds. There will be a bit more cleaning and trimming so I'd think we put 500 pounds in the freezer.

Vern nailed it,,,

I tend to use more than enough gun
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
A central Canadian bull moose & caribou completely filled my 15 cubic foot freezer. I'm guessing that 2/3's or 10 cubic feet was moose. All meat was boned out, butchered and wrapped.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I think that is what I found (35-40) when researching it before my Newfoundland hunt a few years back. I shot a large moose. I brought him back in 2, 200-quart Colemans and had plenty of room for ice. The meat weighted 300 pounds boned and vac sealed. We did not take neck meat, or strip the ribs, either (that is just how they did it). We did eat ribs and heart in camp, though.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The short answer is: if you're hunting Alaskan moose there is going to be more meat than you want to ship home. My medium sized SW Alaska bull resulted in 200 pounds of top cuts (sirloins, backstraps, tenderloins, roundsteak). I left all the front quarters and shank meat with my Alaskan relatives and the neck and rib meat went to the local food bank. If you're lucky you can find a fish processor to hard freeze it for you. A good thing because the airlines lost my "fish" ... but even after 3 days it arrived still frozen.

My Colorado bull moose was more the size of a very large bull elk.

"Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
For eating, bigger is usually not better, just more. Best meat is two or three year old dry cow, or a yearling bull. They're smaller, but nicer meat than some old sixty inch hamburger bull. For me, the trophy goes in the pot, not on the wall. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brother Keith
I like your approach to trophies, eating not mounting. Cheers NC

Last edited by northcountry; 04/21/16.

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
631 members (09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,531 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.