Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've owned prolly 200 bolt action rifles. Only had one "built". I buy used "purpose built" customs for 1/3 to 1/2 of what the original owner paid. I can get a Nosler in a couple days at a price significanly lower than a custom.
As far as bolt locking on safety. No big deal. I don't carry a rifle with a shell in the chamber. My type of hunting that's a factor that is no consequence to me.
As always, different stroke for different folks.
As I used to say with Coopers. Don't like em', don't buy em'. Leaves more for me to buy, cheap.

[Linked Image]

JAPPFT,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
If you think for one second they are, "Glorified Howas" please think again. Nosler Patriots are ten times the rifle a Howa is, in both asthetics and quality. Noslers customer service is also top-notch, which to me is worth every penny. The Nosler Patriots have a match grade barrel, and great trigger. They feed reliably and I am happy to say I own one of their rifles. I own many many top notch rifles, I tend to reach for my Nosler Rifle in 6.5x284 more than the others....just saying.

I think for one second you can't comprehend very well.

Re-read my comment. Jorge asked if it was a glorified 700 action.

I responded it was a glorified Howa action.... which it is. Not knocking it, just letting Jorge know it wasn't a 700 clone- That it was a Howa clone. smirk

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Actually, he didn't ask if it was a glorified Howa action. He posted:
"In other words, just another dressed up, glorified, 700 action."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
CZ_IN_AK,

The basic actions for Nosler rifles are investment cast near Portland, Oregon to Nosler's specs, and the final machining done by Nosler at their facilities. So no, they are not "out-sourced."

The barrels are Pac-Nor (also made in Oregon) and the stocks from various makers, but the final fitting and assembly is all done by Nosler.

You can do whatever you want, but if you add up all the parts in a Nosler, plus the Cerakoting, triggers, "blue-printing" of the action, etc. they are a pretty good deal.

Of course, you are free to build whatever you want. But Nosler rifles are more efficiently produced than anybody can build one rifle at a time, so do represent a good value. Which is what people who have actually owned and shot them have been saying here.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just an FYI, if anyone is interested in a 7mm-08 TGR, I just posted mine for sale in the classifieds.

Thanks,
Craig

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
I agree. They are a very nice rifle.

The stock doesn't seem to fit everybody well, but I had no issues with it on the Outfitter 338WM that I had.

Barrels are PacNor, and fit and finish are top notch.

I would buy another, without a doubt.

BTW, the 338 Outfitter I had didn't go far.

My son wanted it for an elk hunt as soon as he saw it, and he bought it at my cost.

He has a way of adopting some of my best rifles.

Kind-of a standing joke; I do all the shopping, and he reaps the benefits frown

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How generous is the the mag well on Nosler short actions ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Actually, he didn't ask if it was a glorified Howa action. He posted:
"In other words, just another dressed up, glorified, 700 action."

If you can't understand my response either, then I'm afraid your schit out of luck too mule head.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
So I take it one can order one with a safety that locks the bolt for extra cost?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
It looks like that's the case, but then only if you order a custom Nosler rifle ($2500+). I can't find where you can get the bolt lock option with the $1800 stock rifle (even with a pre-order).

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
OK, thanks. That's too bad, they look like pretty nice rifles. For Tuperware types anyway smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jorgeI
..but the non-locking bolt is a no-starter for me.

Why is that? I have friends who believe the opposite.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Personal preference, virtually every other rifle in the bcivilized world works that way and because too many times I've witnessed bolts come open whilst walking in the woods and the chambered round come out.

Last edited by jorgeI; 04/20/16.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Reloder28

For my 2 cents. I am left handed but right eye dominant. I feel more comfortable with the rifle slung over my left shoulder. A non-bolt locking push feed rifle ends up with an open bolt and an empty magazine.

I had to carry a borrowed Rem 700 .30-06 on a moose hunt a couple years ago after United routed my rifle to east BF. It cemented my opinion on this.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Pugs

For my 2 cents. I am left handed but right eye dominant. I feel more comfortable with the rifle slung over my left shoulder. A non-bolt locking push feed rifle ends up with an open bolt and an empty magazine.

I had to carry a borrowed Rem 700 .30-06 on a moose hunt a couple years ago after United routed my rifle to east BF. It cemented my opinion on this.

I have never been able to make that happen on the push feeds I have owned. Also, it is a rare time when I am walking with a round chambered.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Pugs

I have never been able to make that happen on the push feeds I have owned. Also, it is a rare time when I am walking with a round chambered.

Ed. I can only pass my experience. I don't hunt with a round in the chamber either. After it happened I ended up hunting with an empty magazine with the rounds in my pocket. Worked out fine for me, not so good for the moose grin but with solid alternatives I see no reason to go with a non-bolt locking rifle.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Reviews are very good, and they have some interesting cartridges. I was looking at a new rifle about 2 months ago and considered a Nosler. I got to handle one a an LGS, and it did not work for me, a bit heavy, front heavy, and the stock fit was a bit off for myself. Seemed well made and everything looked good. A bit expensive as well. It was a Patriot model.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I ALWAYS hint with a round in the chamber and safety engaged. In Africa, not only does the PH insist on it, but when you are hunting big stuff, the reason is obvious. Still, I am considering one of these, as long as I can pay to have the locking bolt option installed. No issues whatsoever with a PF action.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I assume folks who never walk with a round in the chamber hunt strictly from stands/blinds, and don't care about missing an opportunity at game walking to/from said stand/blind.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Techsan
I assume folks who never walk with a round in the chamber hunt strictly from stands/blinds, and don't care about missing an opportunity at game walking to/from said stand/blind.

Good call bringing up a noncontriversal topic. grin That's a pretty long thread from some time ago.

I have not lost a shot still hunting with a cold chamber in WA, ID, KY, MD, VA, TX, FL or TN. I'm sure there are places that it's a factor but I haven't seen it yet. I often do chamber a round if I am in a stand.

Once I start hunting in the deep woods in NH/ME I reserve the right to change my opinion. whistle

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (007FJ, 270winchester, 22250rem, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 3040Krag, 49 invisible), 2,201 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,239
Posts18,466,760
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.