-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
OP Offline
V
I'm slowly building a custom bolt action rifle and will soon begin working on stocking the rifle. I've heard of starting with an old beater stock, shaping it with sanding and bondo, then sending it off to be duplicated. Of course, it will be duplicated using a walnut blank that I select. Has anyone used this approach, and if so how challenging is it? Also, can anyone recommend an outfit that does a good job duplicating stocks? I've seen several on the internet, but it's always helpful to recommendations. Any input is appreciated!

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Boyd's use to do it,not sure now. It would be worth a phone call at least

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a duplicator and I have done what you are talking about. Mine uses a stylus that matches the router bit being used and will rub on the entire stock so the finish doesn't matter if it's wood, bondo or ice.....it just follows the surface. The very forend and butt are the attachment points and should be structurally sound.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
high country,

Would it work if you started by gluing on a urethane foam block, cut and sand it to shape but undersized, then finished up with Bondo or the like for a hard shell? Or would a duplicator exert enough force to make a mess of it?

---------------
Not styrofoam, not sure but I think Bondo would eat it. Urethane shapes better anyway.

Last edited by nighthawk; 04/03/16.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On my machine I'm 100% in control of the pressure applied to the pattern. My rig is very close to the the one Les Brooks built @ Trinidad State.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Bondo is the pattern makers friend. Forget Urethane, a waste of time.

After I have the pattern and bondo shaped I spray the whole works with a hard setting black epoxy for a smooth surface for the tracer. Works like a champ.

On the stock below I am extending the pistol grip. There is a piece of 3/4 inch thick oak under the bondo, screwed to the stock. Build up your thick areas with wood for a good structural support, then fair in with bondo. Thick gobs of bondo will fracture.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Regarding pressure, on my machine, the operator is completely in control of the pressure applied via the two handle bars shown in the below photo.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cabriolet; 04/04/16.

Survivor of the 13th Original Colony, I escaped on December 17, 1968.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cab, have you found any bits to work better than others?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yep I will put up a photo later tonight.

The bit shown is a 3/4" diameter made for the furniture industry by Forest City Tools in North Carolina, it cuts much better than standard router bits. I use it mainly for roughing. Although I also use standard carbide router bits.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The Forrest City 3/4 bits are in the 2 front rows center both square and radius. Carbide bits, tracers and setup tools also in the block.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cabriolet; 04/04/16.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. It's always a pleasure to see you tooling pile.

IC B3

V
OP Offline
V
These responses have been incredibly helpful! I appreciate everyone taking the time to chime in. This is definitely the route I'll go.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I don't think it has been mentioned and forgive me if I missed it, but when I was doing stock work, my template stocks were always fully 'glass' bedded to the rifle, including the barrel channel and bottom metal - usually I would have several layers of elastic tape on the barrel to provide a little space for floating. Pre-bedding would make things so much easier when doing final fitting.

After all said and done, I would save the template stock for the next build and just hog it out as necessary to bed the next project barreled action. I had one template stock that I know went back and forth to the duplicator at least ten times - each time fitted for a different rifle.

I always like classic stocks, primarily the Sundra-style and for inexpensive template stocks, would buy plain walnut, unfinished Boyd stocks and re-use as above - the only problem I have with Boyds is they only make the stocks with a cheek-piece which I personally do not like so I would have to grind and re-contour that side of the stock. I also modified a beat up Rem Classic stock moving the pistol grip rearward more like a Dakota style. Winchester Ranger stocks are birch wood or similar and easy to modify as a template stock. You can also use composite or 'plastic' stocks for templates, if you find one with the shape/style that you like. If the template stock was checkered, I would fill in the checkered areas and sand smooth.

If you have similar action and bottom metal dimensions but different guard screw spacing, you can convert a stock, for example a Rem 700 template to a M98 by hogging out and rebedding.

A final suggestion: there are several brands of inletting/bedding blocks for trigger and magazine spaces. I find these to be extremely helpful for both templating and final bedding of the project stock - well worth the investment even if you're doing only one gun - you can always sell the bedding block online here when done smile

Last edited by Offshoreman; 04/09/16.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Offshore, give a thought to bedding with bondo. It cures in no time, is cheap and quick to remove.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Offshore has good points.

Below pattern stock is being bedded to provide a smooth hard surface for the duplicator tracers.

Note the cut through the pistol grip that is filled with epoxy: This is where I "bent" the pattern stock to put in cast off.

After all bedding is complete I spray the pattern with hard black epoxy to provide a smooth surface for the tracers.

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Great point Cabriolet - I always sand smooth the template stock after re-bedding, etc.

High Country, I will try bondo next time. Thanks

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Which "hard black spray epoxy" do you use/seems the best?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 56 invisible), 2,090 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,078
Posts18,463,841
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.