-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
why don't we make being lazy and stupid illegal?

then people could do what they wanted!

smile

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, Prohibition is a great example of what happens when the government tries to impose morality on the governed. Instead of stopping the problem, they created an avenue for the most ruthless people in the country to get super rich and spread corruption to levels previously unheard of.

Once Prohibition was repealed, the problems with crime associated with it went away. That's actually a bit inaccurate. The drive by shootings and bombing of rival bootleggers stopped but the mega-rich criminals used their ill gotten money and influence to gain control of other areas of society.

It was already said here, but the war on drugs has created more of a problem than the drugs themselves ever could. After billions and billions of dollars spent and untold numbers of people jailed, drugs are more widespread than ever and with pot the potency has gone way up. The War on Drugs is a complete failure and such will be the fate of any war on vice.

I'm not for alcohol, pot, nicotine, meth or any drug. I am againt hypocrisy and heavy handed government efforts to legislate morality - efforts which do nothing but enrich criminals, corrupt law enforcement and politicians (like politicians need any more corruption) while doing nothing to stop the vice they purport to control.

Lots of people take a drink or six every night, lots of people smoke a joint or three or four every night and still manage to be reliable, responsible members of society. Lots of people drink or smoke dope every day and are total losers. IMHO the common denominator is that the losers were going to be losers either way, the drug of choice is irrelevant.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well stated Jim!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Yes, Prohibition is a great example of what happens when the government tries to impose morality on the governed. Instead of stopping the problem, they created an avenue for the most ruthless people in the country to get super rich and spread corruption to levels previously unheard of.

Once Prohibition was repealed, the problems with crime associated with it went away. That's actually a bit inaccurate. The drive by shootings and bombing of rival bootleggers stopped but the mega-rich criminals used their ill gotten money and influence to gain control of other areas of society.

It was already said here, but the war on drugs has created more of a problem than the drugs themselves ever could. After billions and billions of dollars spent and untold numbers of people jailed, drugs are more widespread than ever and with pot the potency has gone way up. The War on Drugs is a complete failure and such will be the fate of any war on vice.

I'm not for alcohol, pot, nicotine, meth or any drug. I am againt hypocrisy and heavy handed government efforts to legislate morality - efforts which do nothing but enrich criminals, corrupt law enforcement and politicians (like politicians need any more corruption) while doing nothing to stop the vice they purport to control.

Lots of people take a drink or six every night, lots of people smoke a joint or three or four every night and still manage to be reliable, responsible members of society. Lots of people drink or smoke dope every day and are total losers. IMHO the common denominator is that the losers were going to be losers either way, the drug of choice is irrelevant.

Well said and spot on.... ^^^^^^^^^^

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So why ADD ANOTHER factor to the equation? did you not see my post RE: Holland?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, I saw your post on Holland. If adding another factor is bad then wouldn't removing a factor be good? MAKE ALCOHOL ILLEGAL!!!!

I'd very much like to see examples of countries where widespread use of alcohol made the roads in that country safer while lowering both violent encounters and divorce rates. While we're at it, I'd like to see examples of countries where widespread use of nicotine, both in smoked and smokeless forms, lowered the rates of cancer and emphysema.

Oh, wait, alcohol and nicotine are the drugs you use so we need to leave them alone.

Did you understand that I am not for drugs, but am against hypocrisy?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yep put me in the freedom camp

Lots of examples of successful folks that use weed regularly

Lots of examples of lazy folks that all they seem to do is smoke weed

Lots of different thimgs folks use to escape reality for a bit whether drugs or religion

Just know you don't hear of as many domestic assaults, bad car wrecks from the overuse of pot as you do alcohol

With this caveat HIDE YOUR OREOS

Imo&e alcohol is a far more dangerous drug than weed

But I'm not for banning either of them

I'm not for banning guns either

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Because it is already there, and not regulated in the least. Pot remaining illegal, means people will remain smoking it illegaly. It isn't going away whether legal or illegal.

The amount of money to be saved by not incarcerating minor criminals, major pot criminals, the police structure to fight it, and the jailing industry to house the minority of folks who are caught is staggering.

Tax it at 30+%, regulate the product, and you have a new industry for jobs and tax revenue. It is the exact same situation as alcohol prohibition. It empowers criminals and makes them rich, while the lower level criminals are the only ones at risk.

Do you think Mexico would straighten up their act with the drug cartels, if we had a legal trade and tariff on marijuana, to the exclusion of harder drugs? I think it would be worth a try, instead of spending billions in a failed war against it, we could control the situation with tax and regulation and create more revenue.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by stxhunter
well i know dr's, lawyers, judges and successful business owners who smoke pretty regular, even a few cops. it comes down to personal responsibility, people who are lazy are doing to be lazy regardless.

And I also know plenty of lazy ones that don't smoke....

Be responsible for you and your actions, don't make me pay for your issues. Thats pretty simple. Probably too simple.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Colorado sold a billion dollars worth of marijuana in 2015 and socked away 135 million dollars in state taxes.

It's just a matter of time until it's legalized nationwide.

States are hurting for money. They're not going to turn their backs on a billion dollar a year industry.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by davet

Because it is already there, and not regulated in the least. Pot remaining illegal, means people will remain smoking it illegaly. It isn't going away whether legal or illegal.

The amount of money to be saved by not incarcerating minor criminals, major pot criminals, the police structure to fight it, and the jailing industry to house the minority of folks who are caught is staggering.

Tax it at 30+%, regulate the product, and you have a new industry for jobs and tax revenue. It is the exact same situation as alcohol prohibition. It empowers criminals and makes them rich, while the lower level criminals are the only ones at risk.

Do you think Mexico would straighten up their act with the drug cartels, if we had a legal trade and tariff on marijuana, to the exclusion of harder drugs? I think it would be worth a try, instead of spending billions in a failed war against it, we could control the situation with tax and regulation and create more revenue.

There is merit in this concept but one must always consider the .Gov factor. When was the last time they actually did something correct and competent? I see the potential of this concept to fail in the end because like always they would OVERREGULATE it to death resulting in the very same or even worse Black Market we have now.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
Originally Posted by davet

There is merit in this concept but one must always consider the .Gov factor. When was the last time they actually did something correct and competent? I see the potential of this concept to fail in the end because like always they would OVERREGULATE it to death resulting in the very same or even worse Black Market we have now.

My House of Rep congressman Emanual Cleaver says that states would go bankrupt in a month without tobacco and alcohol taxes. The gov't has a rocky position on tobacco, and a better history with alcohol since the 1940's. Regulate it, stamp it, tax it, and quit wasting money on a vice that isn't going away.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're certainly right about the government, they could screw up a two person parade.

But we seem to regulate alcohol and tobacco fairly well. Not perfectly, kids can still get them from older kids and there is still a small market for illegal moonshine, but overall the system seems to work about as well as any revenue collection system. Although from what I read taxes drive the price of legal weed up so much, and since there is still a large illegal distribution system in place, that people still buy weed from the local dealer since it is cheaper than what the legal stores are charging - and just as good.

If marijuana is completely legalized at state and federal levels it might take a couple of years to get the bureaucratic details worked out but soon enough it would be just another age restricted commodity.

I don't keep close tabs on these things but I understand the pot business in the three states where it is legal is still a cash only affair. Because of federal prohibitions and other concerns banks won't accept accounts from legal marijuana stores. In a similar vein,as I understand it many state legislatures would pass legalization but are simply waiting to see how those bureaucratic details are handled in CO, WA and OR. That and/or a way to determine impairment in drivers during roadside stops by law enforcement.

From what I can see in these discussions, most aversion to pot is simply cultural; pot = dirty hippy commie homos while alcohol = something me and my good buddies do to have some harmless fun. I can see that attitude changing as people realize pot is just another intoxicant, different from alcohol in its effects but overall not the killer weed and destroyer of youth that the authorities (those oh so trusted government sources again) told us it was.

The times they are a'changin...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Of course I understand. My posts have nothing to do with morality, but one of practicality. IDGAF what anybody does, but WHY open the door to other drugs? Instead, REMOVE alcoholism as a disease because IT ISN'T and make killing someone if you drive drunk a capital offense. Same for nicotine. If it was a REAL drug, smokers would be killing people for a smoke like heroin addicts do. I smoked, forty years ago, decided to quit one day and that was it.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fine ceegars are still tobacco, junkie.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Obviously you didn't read my post regarding nicotine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I read the part where you said you gave it up 40 years ago.
Except for the fine cigars.
There is always an exception for an addict.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Backroads
I read the part where you said you gave it up 40 years ago.
Except for the fine cigars.
There is always an exception for an addict.

You're an idiot.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Backroads
It's the seedy, low-life drug of the masses. Disgusting and it stinks. Give me a good dram of Lagavulin in a Waterford Cut Crystal Glass, a good cigar, leather chair by the fire and let the animals smoke the dope.

What Hatari says is spot on. Further, it is a documented fact pot, even in relatively low dosages causes brain issues and even more critical, it is THE Gateway drug to harder stuff. For those of you that travel, take a trip through Holland and when you see what it has done to the youth over there, you might think differently of legalizing it.

Tobacco and alcohol are the gateway drugs to marijuana.

That would rate a BULLSHIT
So does all the gateway nonsense. About like guns kill.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can any of you make the case for weed without a moral equivalent? Weed as an issue by itself.

Not weed = alcohol, not weed = tobacco, not prohibitition was a failure. I don't want to hear "you suck because you drink but don't want to legalize weed". I don't want to hear stoners should have unfettered access to pot just because millions drink everyday. Discuss weed on its own merits and as its own subject. You can start another thread about booze and cigs if you want and I'll happily opine on those individual issues.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

275 members (16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 204guy, 34 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,171
Posts18,465,362
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.