Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Anyone ever try a Cabela's Outfitter Series� XWT-Xtreme Weather Tent?

This tent seems to have the best reviews of all their tents, I am replacing a eureka headquarters tent that I used as a 3 season tent for 8 years but I want a better tent for late season hunts.

I have a canvas wall tent but is too big for one person to setup (14x15).I hunt alone most trips and this looks like I could set it up alone if need be.

thanks.

Ted
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have one and love it. I have never set it up by myself but I could. I have set up both of my wall tents by myself, just use an internal frame.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an 8x8 and a 10x10, have used them both quite a bit; rain, sun, snow, wind.
Love 'em, would buy another in an instant (if pocketbook allowed).
Wrote my own instructions, at least for the 8x8 (though includes steps about some packing straps and carry bags I've added to the tent package, etc.). Can email to anyone.
I use a canvas tarp and Cabela's Dry Pitch sheet underneath.
Definitely use the Floor Liner.
With those accessories, needed an additional carry bag.

The vestibule has room for two people in camp chairs (and a third in the middle, just inside the tent itself) to sit and enjoy the view out the fly door.
With accessory poles, the fly door can be turned into a porch roof.

Only one warning- watch the tension around the door. With weather changes, the tautness changes. Loosen the tent-to-pole straps before you over-stress the door zipper.

The 8x8 tent needs a 10x10-foot space (including stakes). Add the fly, which is the heart of the system, and one needs 13x16 feet for a basic install, something more if using all of the possible tie-out lines (since I don't camp in hurricane territory, I've never bothered).

I'm a half-pint weakling, can do the 8x8 by myself easily. The 10x10 is a bit more difficult for one, but not bad; with two, it's a snap.

Has a center hook to which I attach a flying saucer-looking LED array as a tent light. Although I usually use a propane lantern as light/heat, the LED is a good accessory light (usually for when I have the lantern outside but dash into the tent to grab something), and cooler in warm times.

I lived in my 8x8 for three weeks last Oct/Nov in the mountains of Nevada on a deer/elk hunt, snug and secure.

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Thanks for the input. I am thinking the 10x10 should be about right. At 6'4" 262 I have always been able to handle most tents alone.

I would go 12x12 to replace my 9x12 Eureka if I thought I could get handle it alone long term but thinking I will be 58 and 5 years down the road or so the 10x10 being 30 lbs lighter it's the right one

Thanks about the info on the vestibule that is one option I could use in late fall early
winter.

Ted
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 12x12 would be a handful.
I know I couldn't do it alone.

IC B2

P
P
Do you still have the instructions you wrote?

I just bought this tent at a garage sale and it looks great!

Thank you!

: )

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Last edited by Ghostinthemachine; 04/17/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PM me an email address, and I'll send a PDF.
Which size did you get?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Not the same tent but I bought the Alaknak 12x12 and have used it twice and love it. Took some time but I set it up myself. I really liked the ability to have a wood burner in the tent. Borrowed a buddy's stove to see how it worked and really liked it. Feeding any tent size stove is a chore, but when I hunt the south rim this dec I will have a new four dog stove and they are supposed to be a little more efficient. There were some reviews that talked about condensation but it rained 2 of the seven days I stayed in it and I had no problems. But I did run the stove at night.

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
looks a lot like the 10x10 a buddy uses in AK. Sets it up himself. I think his is framed a tiny bit differently possibly.

Dry inside, lots of room, and stands up to AK winds and rain storms so far for probably 5 years of hunting IIRC.

We were going to buy one too, but he decided since the wife can't go anymore to buy a smaller one for him and let Carolyn and I use his...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another option for a lifetime tent that's made in the US....super easy to set up...and has an excellent service center should you ever loose a part or need a repair....

https://www.springbar.com/

Cabelas sells a knock off of the SpringBar too but I'm sure it's made in Chinaland and has ZERO customer support.....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 12344mag, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 55 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,891
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.