-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My favorite centerfire is also a tang-safety. It was my first centerfire and I bought it at the same time I bought my first reloading kit.

It's a round top in 25-06.

Last hunt with it before it was re-bored to 9.3X62. It's laying in the front but you can barely make it out.

[Linked Image]

This is how it sits today. I rarely hunt it anymore.

[Linked Image]

I have a McMillan S/A waiting for just the right tang safety build. Will probably give it to my daughter when it's done.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Sweet rifle Travis

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I like to put my pinky in its chamber.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Do you lube it first?

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I traded a used Rem 760 for a second hand NIB 77R in .280 in 1980 straight up. Best trade I ever made. After bedding it and free-floating the barrel it turned into a real shooter. I shot a number of deer with it but it rode the safe for many years after I had purchased a pair of M70 Featherweights (308 and 6.5 Swede), but decided to use it this past deer season. It was right on the money when I sighted it in and I shot a nice 8 pointer with it on opening day.

ps, I heard about the recall years ago and switched out the screw. Never marked the bolt though.

Last edited by cooper57m; 04/25/16.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice looking Ruger Travis. My screw, allen wrench and instructions came in today's mail, looks like a fairly simple job.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Had a 22-250. Most accurate rifle I have ever owned but I stupidly sold it. I now own a 250 Savage. Not as accurate but good enough. My oldest son has a 7x57 and it is a thumper. Nice rifles.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Oheremicus

Today it's a 280 Remington in a McMillian stock with a Pac-Nor Super Match barrel. I will never sell it. E

Bravo! Great choice.

Originally Posted by cooper57m
I traded a used Rem 760 for a second hand NIB 77R in .280 in 1980 straight up. Best trade I ever made.

Another great choice. grin

Last edited by Reloder28; 04/25/16.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
My Ruger 77 story is sad.

Bought one in '77 in 220 Swift. The gun put 10 rounds into one ragged hole at 100 yards with 50 gr Norma ammo. The round was a lightning bolt on Whitetails.

Have no idea why I was so stupid to have traded it away.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bought alot of rifles over the years but my Swift has been the most accurate out of the box..did some trigger work but it has stayed as is even with the vintage Redfield glass.When something works and works well I don't mess with its mojo.

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Do you lube it first?

Nah.

It's a Ruger.

Dave

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had mine since the late 80s best I can remember. Bought it from my brother basically new for $100 so he could take his new girlfriend out on a date. My first bolt action centerfire rifle. I hunted with it killing much game as my only rifle and always tight groups at the range unitl the early 2000s when I discovered 30-06 was not a flat enough shooting caliber to be of much use and that rugers were generally were not accurate and made of cast iron. Since then I spent thousands collecting more expensive but lesser rifles always comparing them the tanger. Im thinking about a mcmillan for it as well.
I recently put a m700 xcrii in an edge and it might be the one rifle I own that l enjoy as much as the old ruger.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Bought alot of rifles over the years but my Swift has been the most accurate out of the box..did some trigger work but it has stayed as is even with the vintage Redfield glass.When something works and works well I don't mess with its mojo.

[Linked Image]

Woody,

Nice rifle!

I put a new Redfield Revolution 3x9x40mm Accu-Range on mine a couple of years ago. I like it quite well. Since Leupold started making them, they are pretty nice scopes IMO.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
I love tang safety Rugers. I've have a .30-06, and a .270 Winchester. Most recently I built myself a 7x64 Brenneke on one.
[Linked Image]

That is a nice lookin girl too!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've never seen a bad tang-safety Swift.

Travis

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 44 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,180
Posts18,465,632
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.