-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You don't want to look, but can't help it. That is a miracle.

LOL
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good God have mercy. It would take a man w/a claw hammer a half hour to do that to a man. A grizzly does it in less than 10 seconds w/one swipe. powdr

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I pray the man recovers. That looked horrible.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

On this big pic there IS a lot of flap there that can be brought over and thankfully the face is well perfused so the tissue though partially shredded could still remain viable. And on the left side of his face, to the left of where the bridge of the nose would be there might be an open sinus which means facial bone was opened and there is only a small part of an inch to his brain pan. That would make sense since that left eye is also gone. As far as faces go he couldn't have lost much more. Thank the Lord for to be left an eye. Truly a literal miracle.

Also the nose is completely missing unless it's on the back side of that flap which is possible.

I still find 17 days almost un believable as he still should have swelling there and a lot of discoloration minimally I would think.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 05/06/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So what is the story????

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To All:

On a side note, think about that pic next time you think poorly of a person with PTSD or think we should rush our boys off to war without a really good reason.

Glad the fellow is as well as he is.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by GrizzlyKid
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Lotsa things wrong with the pics associated. People don't heal that quickly.

And besides, I don't think it would have happened since he was driving a Ski-Doo! wink

Props for the timeline/ photo layout thing they did though. laugh

I can assure you the pictures are true. I don't know how those surgeons performed the miracle they did, as that is what it is, nothing short of a miracle. I was the first person to see the man, other than his hunting partner, after the attack. The date was april 15th. It was the most horrific thing I have ever seen in my life, as you can see from the pictures.

Is there a story? The dude is obviously blind now correct?

He lost one eye, but can see out of the other. He is the toughest SOB I have ever known.

These pics look horrific to the layman, but in fact the injuries aren't that bad, speaking from a medical trauma perspective. The facial injuries basically amount to nothing more than a large flap laceration, and as the "after" pics show, it was clearly repairable. The loss of his eye was/is really the only serious permanent injury. I've actually seen worse facial flap lacs on people who've gone through a windshield. When you consider the fact that that griz could've killed him by biting through his neck/throat, ripping open his chest or abdomen, etc, all of which are within a grizzly's attack repertoire, he came out pretty OK.

Good work by the surgeons, though, and I am in no way belittling the man. He must be one tough hombre. Glad he's doing better.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Lotsa things wrong with the pics associated. People don't heal that quickly.

And besides, I don't think it would have happened since he was driving a Ski-Doo! wink

Props for the timeline/ photo layout thing they did though. laugh

I can assure you the pictures are true. I don't know how those surgeons performed the miracle they did, as that is what it is, nothing short of a miracle. I was the first person to see the man, other than his hunting partner, after the attack. The date was april 15th. It was the most horrific thing I have ever seen in my life, as you can see from the pictures.

Is there a story? The dude is obviously blind now correct?

He lost one eye, but can see out of the other. He is the toughest SOB I have ever known.

These pics look horrific to the layman, but in fact the injuries aren't that bad, speaking from a medical trauma perspective. The facial injuries basically amount to nothing more than a large flap laceration, and as the "after" pics show, it was clearly repairable. The loss of his eye was/is really the only serious permanent injury. I've actually seen worse facial flap lacs on people who've gone through a windshield. When you consider the fact that that griz could've killed him by biting through his neck/throat, ripping open his chest or abdomen, etc, all of which are within a grizzly's attack repertoire, he came out pretty OK.

Good work by the surgeons, though, and I am in no way belittling the man. He must be one tough hombre. Glad he's doing better.

Doc, thank you for explaining the injuries from a medical trauma perspective. As being someone who saw this man after the attack, I have been absolutely astonished in how the doctors put him back together, and the shape his in today. He was also missing most of an ear, as we had that on ice, but I believe it was able to be reattached, though I am not certain.

When we were trying to help the man and provide first aid, we believed he was going to live as the bear had not gotten any major arteries, or his airway. But, my question to you Doc, when a person has facial injuries as such, what could be don to treat the facial injuries, if anything, to provide any sort of first aid until he could get to medical attention?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Griz, the best thing to do with ANY flap laceration is to flop it back where it's supposed to be. We call that a biological dressing. You might flush it with clean water first, if you have it, and if the patient can stand it, that would get all the bacteria from the bear's filthy mouth/claws rinsed off to reduce infection. Secure the flap in place with gently wrapped gauze or an IBD or a torn-up shirt, whatever you have on hand. Give him antibiotics and pain meds, if you've got 'em, and get him to a hospital asap.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Thanks for that info Doc. It was just such a mess, it was hard to know what went where.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for that info Doc. It was just such a mess, it was hard to know what went where.

What happened? Did he wound it first? Sow and cubs?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
He lived to tell the story. So what's the story? I assume either he or someone else shot the bear, because it's laying there dead.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
What would have happened if that crazy pet c-h-i-m-p was on the scene? Could he have stopped the bear? A Pitbull?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yep good info indeed Doc, thank you

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One of our own here was attacked by a bear, IIRC it was Ken Howell. Maybe someone can dig up his retelling of it.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
Did this guy heal up well ?

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That occurred six years ago. Anyone know the actual story on the attack? i've never read what happened, other than "he was bear hunting and a Grizz jumped him."

Anyone know??

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
That occurred six years ago. Anyone know the actual story on the attack? i've never read what happened, other than "he was bear hunting and a Grizz jumped him."

Anyone know??

L.W.
Some info here:
https://www.themeateater.com/listen...that-shocked-the-internet-with-bret-bohn

I didn’t click on the podcast, so don’t know if that will come up.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
The event in question occurred in 2016.

The 2012 attack in the link is a different event.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

246 members (360bull, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 416RigbyHunter, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,448
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.