Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Anyone have experience with a model 63 smith 22?

I have a SR 22 for trail carry and really wish I had something as good as my 6" model 617.

Would the 63 be closer to the SR22 or 617 in terms of accuracy?

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an older M63 and a SR22. In pure mechanical accuracy the M63 wins. With the benefit of being a classy little S&W. I've packed mine around a lot, killing a bit of small game here and there, dispatching the occasional coyote, fox or bobcat that came to my hand calling and got knocked down but not quite out, clipping the head off venomous snakes that won't yield the trail, smashing pine cones along the trail, ect. It's a little pistol I truly enjoy.

With that said, I have grown really fond of my SR22. It's more accurate than I hear it's supposed to be. It fits the same role as the stainless kit gun above does. The SR22 is a whole bunch of plinking fun. The wife has really taken to the SR22 and she shoots it pretty darn well. I'm not getting rid of either one of those two handguns. The wife either... I guess. smile

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 63 Smith is one if not the best 22 revolver trail gun ever made

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had a 63 for a while and ended up trading it off not long ago. I never could find a kind of ammo that it liked, everything I put in it shot patterns. Hard to head shoot grouse when your trail gun won't hold a 3" group at 15 yards.

It was of course a nice little gun just wasn't put together right for accuracy. I'm sure someone who used it for shooting critters in a trap or just for plinking at cans and rocks would never notice but over the bags on the bench it just couldn't measure up to my SingleSix.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hum,

I've never had a SR22 so cannot comment on a comparison. I've got 3 Model 63's (actually I gave one to my teen boy and my teen daughter is getting one of the others)... with that many you can imagine I like the platform a lot, small handy and shoots anything (which is important as we are still in a .22 LR drought here). I can say that the S&W 63 can not hold a candle to my Ruger 22/45's.

I've never been able to shoot the S&W 63's as well as the heavier & bulkier S&W 17... I think primarily due to the weight of the gun. A lot of folks disparage the trigger when comparing it to the 17/617, I tend to agree but it can be tuned up to the point where it is quite fine.

Anytime someone says a .22LR handgun is inaccurate or not very accurate I always wonder, as I've had a couple of guns (Ruger single-six and a Ruger Bearcat for instance) that I thought were dogs until I tried a different round in them just to find they were quite accurate.

Some folks here have suggested a 4 inch barreled S&W Model 17 (or the S&W 18) as a handy revolver (compared to the 6 inch Model 17's I had) that is easier to hit well with.

YMMV

Jerry

edit; Kid, I would tend to think if it wouldn't hold 3 inches at 15 yards with a variety of ammo ... something was amiss with that specific gun.

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 05/03/16.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Accuracy with open sights is going to be effected by barrel length. I never got my hands on a 63, but I do have a Taurus 94 that I bought when the 63 wasn't being made and used ones were golden. Reason that I mention that is because my 94 has a 5" barrel and it shoots right in there with my MKIII Hunter - which is to say, very accurate. I see no reason why the same wouldn't be the case with a similar 63. If I was looking for a 63, I would try to find one of the 5" versions they made for a year or so. The extra barrel length isn't a bother on a kit gun, and should make the J frame shoot like a bigger gun.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had two Model 63 Smiths and one SR22. Based on that sample mechanical accuracy was about equal, 1 1/2" ten shot groups at 25 yards were about the norm for all of them, maybe shade that by 1/4" for the 63's on a good day. The original M63 has a front sight that almost completely fills the rear notch which makes it more prone to horizontal stringing unless you really concentrate on centering it.

The 63 has the better trigger pull, of course, but not as good as the K-frame .22's. But it's still a lot better than the SR22.

If you want the best of both you might look at a Model 34 with the 4" barrel, it's the original blued version of a 63 and has a thinner, all black front sight. I had a 34 and found the sight picture much more conducive to precision work.

The new 4.5" SR22 looks pretty nice as well and will definitely be cheaper than your average 63 or 34. Balance is a bit more forward, it does seem a tad steadier in hand and you get that extra inch of sight radius as well.

Now that's all splitting hairs, of course, since they're all capable of taking small game or what not as far out as someone is comfortable shooting.

The tiny grips on the J-frame smith were always too small for me so mine were all upgraded with larger wooden target grips or a Pachmayr Compac style. Grip fit is subjective but the Smith has multiple options available. To Ruger's credit they do supply different grips for the SR22 as well.

To be honest, I like the suggestion of the .22/45 Lite. It's midway in weight between the SR22 and 63, has a good hand filling grip and a decent sight radius. The triggers on those I've tested in stores seems about midway between the 63 and the SR22 in terms of lightness and crispness. They make them in some pretty weird colors, however.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I've had two Model 63 Smiths and one SR22. Based on that sample mechanical accuracy was about equal, 1 1/2" ten shot groups at 25 yards were about the norm for all of them, maybe shade that by 1/4" for the 63's on a good day. The original M63 has a front sight that almost completely fills the rear notch which makes it more prone to horizontal stringing unless you really concentrate on centering it.

The 63 has the better trigger pull, of course, but not as good as the K-frame .22's. But it's still a lot better than the SR22.

If you want the best of both you might look at a Model 34 with the 4" barrel, it's the original blued version of a 63 and has a thinner, all black front sight. I had a 34 and found the sight picture much more conducive to precision work.

The new 4.5" SR22 looks pretty nice as well and will definitely be cheaper than your average 63 or 34. Balance is a bit more forward, it does seem a tad steadier in hand and you get that extra inch of sight radius as well.

Now that's all splitting hairs, of course, since they're all capable of taking small game or what not as far out as someone is comfortable shooting.

The tiny grips on the J-frame smith were always too small for me so mine were all upgraded with larger wooden target grips or a Pachmayr Compac style. Grip fit is subjective but the Smith has multiple options available. To Ruger's credit they do supply different grips for the SR22 as well.

To be honest, I like the suggestion of the .22/45 Lite. It's midway in weight between the SR22 and 63, has a good hand filling grip and a decent sight radius. The triggers on those I've tested in stores seems about midway between the 63 and the SR22 in terms of lightness and crispness. They make them in some pretty weird colors, however.

You had me at "weird colors" ;-)

22/45 hmmm....

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Love my old 63. I had a walther p22 for awhile and found it to be innacurate to me. If I was going with an auto 22 I really like the buckmarks.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I'll give a two thumbs up for the Model 63. Mine is minute of squirrel accurate, and death on snakes. Accuracy has never been an issue with mine. I added the Tyler TGrip a couple of years ago. It has been a great help, since the grips are so small.
I have carried this one on the AT, the Florida trail, and while camping and hiking all over Florida, Georgia, and Virginia.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I prefer the S&W 422/622/2206 family of pistols to any revolver for "trail carry", UNLESS shooting snake-shot is your primary reason for carrying a handgun. The 422/622 with 4.5" barrels are lighter than a 4" J-frame S&W.

My most frequently carried handguns are the S&W 2206 (22 LR), Rossi 515 (22 Mag), S&W 620 (357 Mag), Rossi 720 (44 Spl), and S&W 329PD (44 Mag).

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
63's are ver nice. I have a newer Ruger sp101 in similar size, but heavier and I like it a lot

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I cut my teeth on a 4" Model 34, the carbon-steel sister to the Model 63, and made some superb shots plinking and on small game with it while I was a kid. J-frame Smith 22's are extremely precise little handguns, with emphasis on "little." I have medium-sized hands, but I find them hard to shoot well because they're so small. I much prefer a K-frame, but I consider the J-frames to be their near-equals in terms of accuracy.

If you really want an oddball, check out the S&W Model 35. It's basically a Model 34 with a 6" barrel. I had one for a few months. It shot like a K-frame because of the long barrel and sight radius, but the frame was too small for me to do my best work, even with oversized grips--the hammer and trigger were just too close together for comfort.

As with any 22, you'll have to find the load your weapon shoots best, and as with any S&W, you'll have to keep the chambers and extractor star clean. Don't scrub the bore--they never really get dirty.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by okie john
I cut my teeth on a 4" Model 34, the carbon-steel sister to the Model 63, and made some superb shots plinking and on small game with it while I was a kid. J-frame Smith 22's are extremely precise little handguns, with emphasis on "little." I have medium-sized hands, but I find them hard to shoot well because they're so small. I much prefer a K-frame, but I consider the J-frames to be their near-equals in terms of accuracy.

If you really want an oddball, check out the S&W Model 35. It's basically a Model 34 with a 6" barrel. I had one for a few months. It shot like a K-frame because of the long barrel and sight radius, but the frame was too small for me to do my best work, even with oversized grips--the hammer and trigger were just too close together for comfort.

As with any 22, you'll have to find the load your weapon shoots best, and as with any S&W, you'll have to keep the chambers and extractor star clean. Don't scrub the bore--they never really get dirty.

Okie John

The reason that I shoot the Rossi 515 (22 Mag) and 518 (22 LR) is because they have slightly larger frames and Rossi sold larger synthetic grips that fit the 515/518/720/721 frames and are a better fit for guys with average and larger size hands. It would be nice if S&W would make a copy of the 18 in stainless. I have a 617 6", but don't like the weight of the full-lug barrel, so it never leaves home.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I'll give a two thumbs up for the Model 63. Mine is minute of squirrel accurate, and death on snakes. Accuracy has never been an issue with mine. I added the Tyler TGrip a couple of years ago. It has been a great help, since the grips are so small.
I have carried this one on the AT, the Florida trail, and while camping and hiking all over Florida, Georgia, and Virginia.
[Linked Image]

Wiping drool off my key board... I want.

I notice the new 63's have 3" barrels and fiber optic sights.. may be tough for better accuracy.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
"The new 4.5" SR22 looks pretty nice as well and will definitely be cheaper than your average 63 or 34. Balance is a bit more forward, it does seem a tad steadier in hand and you get that extra inch of sight radius as well."

I've got a 4.5" SR-22, and it handily outshoots my new M&P .22C and my wife's 3.5" SR-22. It's combination of both a better trigger and sight radius. Mine will shoot 1.5" groups at 20 yards with the right ammo. It's a pretty darned good little pistol.

The M&P 22C is still too new to complain about, or laud, for that matter, although I do like the safety and the handling as much as the Rugers. It's not a bad choice, but I don't think it's going to shoot as well as the Rugers, due to the trigger being a bit crunchy. Maybe that will go away with use, I dunno, but it's a handy little stinker.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've had this 34 since before they made 63s --- and carried it a zillion miles. It's mechanically excellent and quite accurate but much harder to hit with than my Model 17 or 18 K frames. The grips help a lot, though.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I got my M63 the first thing I did was order a Tyler T grip for it. It helped and was much better feeling than the factory skinny grips alone. Then I got a set of Herrett grips and the gun immediately felt better yet. Those grips make the J-frame much easier to shoot accurately.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Humdinger: I love my Model 63's!
I have a pair of 4" Model 63's and a 2" Model.
I have used them from Alaska to Texas and from Oregon to the Dakota's.
They are handy (small), durable, reliable and easy to conceal if that needs be.
I have used them for Rattle Snake protection as well as Grouse getters and on all manner of Varmints and small game.
And on a couple of occassions as "signal" guns for lost Hunters.
These pistols are expensive nowadays - and thats the ONLY negative I can dream up about them. But that investment is pretty safe if the need to re-sell one should arise.
I have shot a couple of S&W Model 617's and "I" am slightly more accurate at modest ranges with them than with my lighter and shorter barreled Model 63's.
I say go with the 4" barrel Model 63 for "trail carry".
And maybe even consider the Smith & Wesson Model 651 - which is the Model 63 only in caliber 22 Magnum! These are also very useful guns (and very expensive as well!).
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've had a couple of 34s and a 63, but this one is growing on me.
Bob

German Walther PP in .22.
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 2500HD, 1234, 160user, 204guy, 60 invisible), 2,313 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,018
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.