-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is one of the hazards of plastic framed pistols; blow a case head in a 1911 or other metal framed gun and the gun usually survives; usually not with a plastic frame.

If the charge varied a lot, probably either some of one charge got carried over into a 2nd charge, but also possibly it fired out of battery.

But anyway...Did the OP ever buy one of the AR57 uppers? I've been interested to hear how they shoot.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is one of the hazards of plastic framed pistols; blow a case head in a 1911 or other metal framed gun and the gun usually survives; usually not with a plastic frame.

I agree 100%.
My first and only plastic gun.
The plastic is also what drew blood, the plastic IS what could cost you an eye or worse. It was scattered right around 25 feet in both directions from where the shot was fired. Our saving grace was the hay stack we were using for a rest, it shielded us from the bulk of the debris.

So - you bought someone else's handloads and fired them in your gun? That violates one of the primary rules about ammunition - don't use someone else's handloads.

I frequently see people selling their reloads, or grampa's reloads they found in the attic, and am always amazed when people buy it. IMO it's absolutely foolish to buy stuff like that, but you know that now of course.

I don't want to debate reloading, I know many have great results, I also know many are hesitant to share their failures when speaking of their experiences. I had one poor experience 30 years ago and decided then I had no reason to use them....until I got impatient having a new gun that I couldn't buy rounds for. At the time, I let the quality of the shop I was in give me confidence or an excuse to go against my better judgment. I'm a rather detail oriented individual, if I were reloading my own I'd probably feel completely different about it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Reload your own Jeff! Its much safer for a person like you!

Haven't seen you posting in some time...

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Too bad it wasn't a Ruger! Or a Star. Those don't blow up.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by JeffA

I don't want to debate reloading, I know many have great results, I also know many are hesitant to share their failures when speaking of their experiences. I had one poor experience 30 years ago and decided then I had no reason to use them....until I got impatient having a new gun that I couldn't buy rounds for. At the time, I let the quality of the shop I was in give me confidence or an excuse to go against my better judgment. I'm a rather detail oriented individual, if I were reloading my own I'd probably feel completely different about it.

That makes sense, and I do understand the urge to go shoot a new gun with whatever ammo you can find. Obviously though you've discovered the danger of using someone's reloads of unknown quality.

I'm not against reloading; almost everything I shoot is reloads. I'm against shooting ammo that someone else reloaded, unless you really trust their quality control. Even the commercial reloaders fall in that category for me.

Last edited by Yondering; 03/30/16.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

If the charge varied a lot, probably either some of one charge got carried over into a 2nd charge, but also possibly it fired out of battery.

But anyway...Did the OP ever buy one of the AR57 uppers? I've been interested to hear how they shoot.

Tex, have been ill for a while and not following this.
yes i got the upper and it shoots great. the draw backs to the ar57 uppers is the long magazine makes it hard to mount optics. other then that it is a fun platform. can't wait for the ground squirrels to wake up.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
well the ground squirrels woke up and the 5.7 is a hoot. i mounted a burris fast fire on it and loaded some 35g varmageddons(sp). crono at 2300+/-
today went to the farm and burned half a mag on dike rats.
20 squirrels for 25 rounds. ranges from 30 feet to 100 yards.
terminal ballistics .... messy!!
[Linked Image]

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
they are a hoot to shoot. I have reloaded some no problem just a few more steps. A Little crow WTF is your friend trimming after sizing. Headspace gauge and new brass available from Elite Ammunition. I had an issue with there brass and RCBS dies flash hole to small for decapping pin. Need to ream out flash hole.
brass out of stok now
http://www.eliteammunition.com/#!/E...ass-100-Pcs/p/64115523/category=18650027

Neal
NRA Endowment Life Member.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Do the uppers include mags?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
none came with mine. it was a blem from Midway. be warned it is an ammo hog in the hands of children and Nate(HawkI). 50 round mags empty to fast i suggest 10 round mags

Neal
NRA Endowment Life Member.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
mine came with 3 mags, but it came second hand.
i have seen them for sale but don't remember the price. one mag with 50 rounds last me all squirrel session. one problem i am having is ejecting a live round sometimes pulls the bullet leaving it in the barrel. i just carry a sectioned rod in a pouch for when i forget. i think this problem is just the bullets i am using which are 35g varmaggeddons from nosler. far forward ogive. i would change but they shoot so accurately and make sauce out of the squirrels.
i was really going to get rid of this upper but it is just too much fun. True Blue powder is your friend. HS7 was better but the mooks discontinued it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dave, the mags are 37.95 from the manufacture.
www.57center.com/

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
seating bullets shorter is so easy, and it usually doesn't change accuracy much... if the throat is done correctly in the barrel.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
except when the ogive is placed where you cant get any tension. one of the problems i have encountered is neck tension. at first i thought it was my dies which were RCBS.
got a set of Redding's and it was the same. got a set of Lee's with a collet die and it made a difference.
by the way, i have a few years reloading too. started Christmas day 1958.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FWIW, CDNN has aftermarket 50rd mags for less than $10...

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My best advice is to do your best at duplicating the factory offering.

This means getting some TrueBlue and some 40 gr. V-Maxes, a die that melds the contorted once fired crap back into the semblance of form and a trimmer that makes the cases the length they started at.

Use lube as liberal as possible, as the cases are soft on purpose.

A major factory has dished out as close as an unreloadable piece of bunk as they could. But it behaves when trained with a patient hand and by not trying to make it something it isnt.
Its definitely at home in an AR.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by deerstalker
except when the ogive is placed where you cant get any tension. one of the problems i have encountered is neck tension. at first i thought it was my dies which were RCBS.
got a set of Redding's and it was the same. got a set of Lee's with a collet die and it made a difference.

Hmm, do they make bushing dies? Or can you crimp enough?

I don't have a clue about this round.

I know I have enough case neck tension with 75 amax in 223 at mag length, and the case neck, end of it, does NOT touch the bullet, but there is enough neck contact lower down that its fine... looks weird, shoots fine

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by njs1230
none came with mine. it was a blem from Midway. be warned it is an ammo hog in the hands of children and Nate(HawkI). 50 round mags empty to fast i suggest 10 round mags

Nate's a whore.

I love him.

Clark

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Sell a kid and buy a case or two of the factory stuff.

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave

Sell a kid and buy a case or two of the factory stuff.

Dave
now that sounds like a real plan Deflave!
only problem is they frown on stealing kids and selling them. my only kid is 46 and i couldn't get 10 bucks on a good day.

i finally got a fcd from lee and it took the pain out of loading. other then the problem of neck tension loading these little buggers is like any other bottle neck.
it is just a hoot to shoot. i love the bottom discharge. i gutted a pos plastic ar15 mag pop it in and all brass is right there allowing me to keep my eyes on target rather then looking for thrown brass. i think the gen 2 uppers may be priced to high but for anyone wanting a fun small vermin center fire with almost endless rounds at hand needs one of these.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 68 invisible), 2,496 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.