Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
I need a .223 for plugging gophers and was looking for any comparisons of accuracy between the two rifles. 90% of the shooting will be gopher loads, usually with blue dot, so extra velocity of a 22" vs a 16" barrel is not a concern. I hear great things about the predator accuracy but have not heard much about the ranch. Any ideas on whether the 5.56 chamber on the ranch is a compromise for overall accuracy?

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My Ranch Rifle shoots WW factory 55s at really close to an inch. Older model was closer to 3". No predator experience.

Gophers, get a 17 HMR. Friends swear by them.

Best,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If I understand the OP, he is talking about the two Ruger American bolt guns, the Predator and the Ranch.

If that be the case, I think you'll find that the Ranch is likely to shoot as well as the Predator.

I believe Ed toomanyletters has one that he has been shooting varmints with and he is very pleased with the way his ranch bolt is shooting.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Except for the barrel length and color of the stock, aren't they identical?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Except for the barrel length and color of the stock, aren't they identical?

That is what I thought, same action different options.

Ted
IC B2

V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Yes, the question was in reference to the American series bolt guns. They note in the specs the ranch is a 5.56 vs the predator being a .223. I did not know how much looser a 5.56 chamber is and if it would wreck havoc with accuracy. I am hearing fabulous accuracy out of the predators but most of the ranch reviews I have seen have been on the .330 BO.

In my AR's I have run the .223 wylde as a compromise and been very satisfied with the accuracy but have never seen a bolt gun with a 5.56 chamber.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
So is it fair to say everyone with a Ranch is feeling pretty satisfied with accuracy?

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I have owned a Ruger Ranch for about 6 months now and couldn't be more pleased. I haven't tried anything heavy in it and have just been shooting a 55gr Vmax load I run in an AR for coyotes. From the beginning it shot 0.75-1.0 MOA. For what I am using the gun for, I never attempted any further load development.

V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Thank you for the feedback. I went with the rancher and really love the feel of it. Of course I cannot resist tinkering so I already started my friend fix to make it stiffer and increase the free float. I don't buy factory ammo so the 5.56 chambering will be inconsequential, everything will be fireformed and neck sized anyways.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Longer throat on the 5.56 chamber in the Ranch. I can't remember exactly, but seems I was able to load 75 Amax at 2.45" or 2.5"?? If you have one of the mag extensions, it's money!!

I haven't shot mine enough to know how good it shoots.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Found it. It's 2.525" to lands on my 5.56 Ranch chamber. Here's the thread.

Ruger Ranch length to lands thread - Click Here

I understand this has nothing to do with accuracy and probably doesn't matter for a non-long range gopher gun....but thought it was interesting if shooting heavy bullets.

Last edited by 257heaven; 05/14/16.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I know this is a bit off topic, as I have been thinking of either of these. I like the flexibility of the Ranch for the 223/5.56 chamber.

My question, how is the blast from the 16" barrel? Would it be something that would scare kids from shooting?

Thanks for your help.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Ranch's throat would SHAME Linda Lovelace and CM spouts suck ass as a constant. The S/S Compact 223 is THE way to fly.

Poke the S/S version in a MDT LSS chassis,'Horn ring the bitch,arrange POA/POI sanctity ala MQ FixedFhuqker and feed it AM steel 5-rounders as a utility default,with a coupla MDT poly 10's in the ruck,as reserve.

75 A-Max go without sayin'...just sayin'.

Hint.

Lose the fhuqking stupid trigger flipper bitch and re-spring to get well under 2lbs pull easily.

[Linked Image]

The OEM Milk Jug handle sucks heavy ass,whether Ranch,Compact or S/S Regular.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Plywood soothes alotta schittiness,but is well shy of a Chassis's Splendor.

[Linked Image]

Due the Rimfire's use of the unequalled Ruger rotary 77/22 mags,losing the flapper re-springing and going plywood with a inclined DIP rail,connects ALL dots there.

[Linked Image]

In the Ranch the SAS mag extension will not grant a 75A-Max smooch,though Hornie 75HPBT's will.

[Linked Image]

Anywhooo...avoid the Ranch at ALL costs,as it's fraught with multiple inherent concessions and cannot begin to touch the S/S version's mechanical advantages. It is a Magnificent Myth Misnomer to "think" that the 223 chamber,won't happily digest ALL things 5.56.

Hint.

You've been led to water......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You've been led to water......................

Then for Christ's Sake Stumpy....

Take a Friggin Bath for once....

Even on line you stink some days... whistle

Just messin with ya, ya little Cretin...

To the OP....Varmintsinc

Blue Dot Gopher Loads, will be accurate anyway.. regardless of which route ya go....

for short range work with the 75s, I actually got some pretty small 5 shot groups utilizing Unique...

68 grainers also take up less of the powder room, if you don't have one of the Modified Magazines....had two, and loaned one to a campfire member in Montana, and it sadly never made it back home to Oregon...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
my ranch BO with pit 5 touching. haven't tweaked a load for the 5.56 ranch yet.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 75 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,686
Posts18,456,386
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.