-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking at RMR's cheap deal on these for my TC Venture truck gun to use for a thumper round on hogs and whatever else needs shooting at under 250/300 yards or so...anybody got any gripes about how they shoot or kill stuff at a little less than max loads, ummm about 2750 or so. Plan on using H4831, or RL 22, over WLR's.

Not seeing these bullets in my Speer books, but do find 'em in the Hornady pages at .289 BC's that show loads within the planned spec's.
Thx Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ron this may be of little value but I have and do shoot a good few of the Speer 150g Hotcor spitzers out of my 270 Win.

I usually run them at 2900+ fps and they are fantastic on game. There are very few pigs or deer that will stop one even large boars on double should shots or 3/4 lengthways shots. Expanded width is typically 0.5" and retained weight around 100-120g.

Sorry if that doesn't much help.

I'd be astounded if the RN Speers weren't very very effective at 2750fps or thereabouts. They'll probably be accurate too as you'll get the bullet near the lands pretty easily. The spitzers are certainly an accurate bullet for me.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Have used lots of Speer SP's over the years in several calibers with very acceptable results...just never used RN's before and want/need an inexpensive "thumper" bullet to try and wear out a new TC Venture with...that'll give reasonable minute of piggie accuracy out to 250/300 yards and hold together 'cause I ain't getting off the trail in the deep woods to go find'em in the piney woods of East Texas...tried that once in a North Florida Nat'l Forest in the early '70's with an 8mm Mauser & milsurp FMJ's and spent the nite up a pine tree...
Thx Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by verhoositz
Have used lots of Speer SP's over the years in several calibers with very acceptable results...just never used RN's before and want/need an inexpensive "thumper" bullet to try and wear out a new TC Venture with...that'll give reasonable minute of piggie accuracy out to 250/300 yards and hold together 'cause I ain't getting off the trail in the deep woods to go find'em in the piney woods of East Texas...tried that once in a North Florida Nat'l Forest in the early '70's with an 8mm Mauser & milsurp FMJ's and spent the nite up a pine tree...
Thx Ron

Would you be interested in some Remington .270 150 gr round nose core lokts? No one made a better round nose bullet

Doc

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Send me a PM with the details and I'll take a look at it, after we get back tomorrow from a trip to the VA clinic in Temple TX, 'tween Austin & Waco. I alwsys want to try out new to me bullets.
Thx Ron

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by verhoositz
Thx Ron

Ron I used heaps and heaps of RN bullets in several calibres particularly 308 in the 80s on pigs.

My view: they killed faster than spitzers consistently.

Ended up going away from them because they went out of vogue and became more expensive than pointed spitzers, and am happy of course now with spitzers due the better bc.

In the 80s I shot almost exclusively from a car or bike and ranges never exceeded 250 metres, most of the time under 150 under a light.

I probably only killed about 3-4000 pigs with 150g RN bullets so I have some insight! They'll work.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B-17, THAT! is what I'd call a strong recc on my ?? of the RN bullet's performance on game...and almost the profile of what I am looking to do.

Been using 150 & 165 gr inexpensive RP/Fed/WW SP's for 40-50 years in 270 & '06's for WTails & now hogs with acceptable results most of the time, but mostly in more open country where DRT's are not as critical for recovery. As always shot placement is king, but this is more like hunting rabbits in deep brush, and good bullet placement is not always possible
Ron

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (16penny, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,243
Posts18,466,884
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.