Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Pretty sure our dog has ringworm. Can't get to the vet until Tuesday. We have another dog and kids, so I want to prevent a mess.

How contagious is it?

Any home remedy we can start with?

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
VERY contagious. We went through it last year with a cat. In short, every animal got it and so did the wife and I. I didn't get it too bad, the wife got it much worse.

If your sure it's ringworm, this will work. Get several tubes, cuzz you're going to need it. Took about 1 1/2 months before everyone was 'healed'.

Don't be tempted to put a bandaid on the humans to keep it from 'spreading'. That shiet loves being enclosed and sweaty. Air is a good thing, along with liberal doses of the cream.

ENJOY!

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Any of the anti-fungal athletes foot treatments will work. Get the cream version so you can apply it directly to the area.

Unfortunately everyone in the house has likely been exposed so just keep an eye out for spots and make sure they wash their hands after petting the dog.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Blu-Kote

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
lamisil

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Weird, because it almost looks like a tick bite, or other insect bites we see online. They all look so darn close. We sent a picture of it to a friend who is very familiar, but I think a trip to the vet is in order. When I get home, I'll try to post a picture.

We are at s campground and some folks said there's a type of ringworm that's contracted from ground contact, comes and goes on its own? Not sure I've heard of that.

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I haven't run into ringworm in many years. I do remember home remedies, none of which worked. I had a friend back in grade school who got it on his head. His mother smeared it with the juice from black walnut husks and made him wear a nylon stocking over his head. He had to wear that stupid thing for a month while the ringworm spread all over his head. She finally relented & took him to a doctor.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We are at s campground and some folks said there's a type of ringworm that's contracted from ground contact, comes and goes on its own? Not sure I've heard of that.
It's possible. It's a fungus and spores can probably be found about everywhere. Its fairly common for people to get it on their feet if they run around barefoot a lot.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
most just put me on ignore.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by ringworm

Done!

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The few times my mules have had it, I washed the area with Betadine soap w/rinse 3 times a day.Took care of it in about a week

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlesore
The few times my mules have had it, I washed the area with Betadine soap w/rinse 3 times a day.Took care of it in about a week

Yep....works on dogs too.....it's what my Vet recommends....

Last edited by FieldGrade; 05/28/16.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W

laugh

Tincture of Iodine works.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That's what I thought this thread was going to be about and what I was going to suggest. Thanks for the reminder as I thought I already had, but obviously hadn't...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

That's what I thought this thread was going to be about and what I was going to suggest. Thanks for the reminder as I thought I already had, but obviously hadn't...

I did. But your quoting him let me see his post grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

I did. But your quoting him let me see his post grin

I think the Poobah has ringworm, reason for the big ugly hat. whistle

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've adjusted my meds.. Obviously no one noticed. [Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Horseman's Dream Fung-A-Way

Cheap and effective...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If the dog has long hair, trim it from around the spot/s. UV light is very good anti-fungal treatment.

Any of the anti-fungals (lotrimin, lamisil women's feminine products etc.) will work. But they take time to thoroughly clear up.

I used to get it a few times a year. Cleaning regularly and treating it with something also to dry it out is helpful. On a small spot, I would use clorox. Betadine or alcohol can accomplish the same thing, to dry out the sore and tissue. Makes it hard for the fungus to survive and grow.

Montana MOFO
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
For a dog, this will work every time, but it is off label usage.

Get some injectable Ivermectin from the vet that is designed for deworming cattle. For a "big" dog, the dose is between 2 and 5 cc. It works on fungus, lice, worms, ticks, fleas--just about anything that grows or bites.

One shot and done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (257robertsimp, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 1_deuce, 23 invisible), 1,580 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,215
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.