Page 1 of 2 1 2
T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...to-plead-for-help-from-humans-after-bei/

Our Foreign Staff

2 June 2016 • 11:46pm

An injured elephant appears to be seeking out humans for help after it was shot by a poacher in an act which surprised Nick Milne and his guests in Zimbabwe, according to photographs.

Ben, a bull elephant, approached the Bumi Hills Safari Lodge and the manager quickly noticed that it had a limp and appeared to be severely injured. In photographs, the elephant is looking inside and it appears that he is indeed seeking assistance.

Unfortunately there was no in-house veterinarian at the lodge because the vet had gone for the weekend.

But one kind vet offered to fly 200 miles from Harare to provide medical assistance to the elephant and arrived within six hours. In that time, Ben apparently waited patiently, supping on water and grazing, MailOnline reported.
Ben looking inside the lodge
Ben had two bullet holes in one ear after apparently being shot by a poacher Credit: Bumi Hills Foundation

The elephant, believed to be 30 years old, was then tranquillised and soon it was discovered that Ben had been shot because of a deep wound in his shoulder.

It is believed to have been a result of a poacher's shot - and it turned out Ben, named after the individual who treated him first, was in fact shot twice after two bullet holes were found in his ear.

Nick Milne, trust manager at the Bumi Hills Foundation, told News24: "Logic would suggest that if an animal has an injury that considerably hampers its mobility, it would not attempt the climb and would rather stay on the level ground near water."

He added: "The dart went into his rump perfectly and he only moved off a short distance in the seven minutes before he went down. He also landed perfectly on his haunches with his right side up a slope, the perfect position considering we needed to work on his left side."
Elephant being washing
A clean after being treated Credit: Bumi Hills Foundation

Usually the the lodge's conservation manager can treat wild animals who are hurt but the individual was away for business.

It was not clear when the incident took place but Ben survived the attempts on his life after the vet treated him and disinfected his wounds. Ben now wears a tracking device to ensure his improvement can be monitored as it continues healing on the property.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
More humanization from the left.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
GFY

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
hard to conside4 that an animal with a brain that large wouldn't be able to work out things. my dog will come to me if she hurts herself and favor the wound.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a free speech guy, but 24HCF should ban retard posts.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When someone like TLEE is being told to GFY and labeled a "retard" for posting a damned news article, the Campfire has sunk to a new low.

T's a better man, by a long shot, than most and has been here since the beginning; well respected, at that.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That's right !!!

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 4ager
When someone like TLEE is being told to GFY and labeled a "retard" for posting a damned news article, the Campfire has sunk to a new low.

T's a better man, by a long shot, than most and has been here since the beginning; well respected, at that.

I got to agree with you on this one.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good story, thanks for posting. Poaching is a very bad business. Hope "Ben" recovers nicely.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 4ager

I do believe SAC was reffering to Bellydeep but I agree the retard thing was way outta line.

The only reason T posted that article was it was interesting, he had no hidden agenda such as "humanizing" an animal.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Correct.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I definitely will not disparage T LEE but would like to make a couple of comments about the article.

I am familiar with the Bumi Hills Safari Lodge. They are located on Lake Kariba in Zimbabwe and are basically surrounded by a hunting operator on the land side of the property. The hunting concession is over 1,000,000 acres, Bumi Hills is only a fraction of that size.

Several years ago Bumi ran a story that the hunting operator killed the last lion in the area. It was an out and out lie. It was an attempt to garner attention in a "Cecil" fashion. Since the "last" lion was killed the hunting operator has taken several lions with the population steadily growing due to the hunting operator's conservation efforts.

There are other parts of that story that ALL hunters need to pay attention. These stories are written like animals are people with phrases like "attempts on his life". Animals are named to humanize them. We will wake up one day and there will be animal rights written in law.

The anti-hunters have made great strides in making extremely difficult to hunt many species in Africa. They will not stop until all hunting is banned. It is no different than the anti-gun crowd. Do you think they want to stop at AR-15s?

I do not believe much if anything that comes out of Bumi or any other anti-hunting organization.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Why do a bunch of guys who write teary eyed threads about dogs at least once a week get mad when it is suggested that an animal that is probably about five times smarter than your average pooch on the animal IQ scale would be smart enough to figure out that those particular humans might help him?

T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I do not have a Walt Disney out look, wild animals are wild animals, period. But, the F*CK!NG poachers are the lowest form of scum on the planet. I am glad the elephant got a second chance by knowing where he might be safe and helped.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
TLEE,

Poachers are the lowest form of life, or at least right next to the anti-hunters that fabricate lies constantly to end hunting.

The following pictures were taking by a buddy who is a PH in Zim. He was hunting with a client and found a lion in a snare. They stopped the hunt found a vet with a tranquilizer gun, darted the lion, and released it.

Poachers are the purest from of scum, hunters are real conservationists.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
So this is a wild one or semi adjusted to humans round and about? If truly wild it amazes me the animal comes up with 'I can't beat me so i'll join the ones that never try to harm me'. Guess they are all somewhat semi adjusted by now.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Why do a bunch of guys who write teary eyed threads about dogs at least once a week get mad when it is suggested that an animal that is probably about five times smarter than your average pooch on the animal IQ scale would be smart enough to figure out that those particular humans might help him?

Ya, and them f:ckers name there dogs too!

It's obvious there try to "humanize" them grin

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mike70560

There are other parts of that story that ALL hunters need to pay attention. These stories are written like animals are people with phrases like "attempts on his life". Animals are named to humanize them. We will wake up one day and there will be animal rights written in law.

The anti-hunters have made great strides in making extremely difficult to hunt many species in Africa. They will not stop until all hunting is banned. It is no different than the anti-gun crowd.

Exactly.

Apparently SACharlie has his head too far up his azz to realize it though.

Nothing against the OP for posting the article, it is interesting. But I recognize anti-hunting propaganda when I see it.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It didn't take, GFY again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T LEE and Mike70560,

Poachers are the purest from of scum,

They are only one step up from anti- American Democrats.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
739 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 74 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.