Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Millions of $$$$$ raised by woman creator of North Face and given to Hillary.

No North Face for me.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-susie-buell-hillary-clinton-20160603-snap-story.html

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
BP-B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Had never heard of North Face. Went to their site. Lots of medium high expensive "adventure gear". Definitely nothing there for the hunter.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W

Last edited by websterparish47; 06/03/16.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've got one of their mid weight sleeping bags. Bought it for $5.00 at a yard sale. I like it a lot. They've been putting out gear for a long time. Way back in the mid eighties when I was in boy scouts at least. I've never bought their stuff retail and I guess I never will.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Millions of $$$$$ raised by woman creator of North Face and given to Hillary.

No North Face for me.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-susie-buell-hillary-clinton-20160603-snap-story.html

L.W.

I bet there are plenty here that turn their heads to politics over comfort, if they paid attention, no one would be wearing Patagonia stuff either...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Guess I'll stick to UnderArmor.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never had a desire to buy overpriced TNF garbage.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Had never heard of North Face. Went to their site. Lots of medium high expensive "adventure gear". Definitely nothing there for the hunter.

If you've never heard of North Face, you must not do anything outdoors related, or you are extremely young. North Face at one time had a large portion of the market share for outdoor gear in the US as well as world wide. They have far more competition now, but they were hard to beat for mountaineering/back country gear in the 80s and 90s.

I slept in more than one North Face tent on plenty of hunting trips, and have seen many more in the field, so I wouldn't be quite so dismissive of their hunting appeal. At least now we have a lot of alternatives.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am 81 years of age and have spent probably (maybe) more nights in tents than you are years old. That make sense? Anyway, I have never had the desire to purchase any of their way overpriced gear. Name on equipment means nothing at all to me.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
I am 81 years of age and have spent probably (maybe) more nights in tents than you are years old. That make sense? Anyway, I have never had the desire to purchase any of their way overpriced gear. Name on equipment means nothing at all to me.

You've spent a lot of years in tents then. Makes no difference to me if you want TNF gear or not. I currently have none and have no plans of buying any. I have however spent many a night in a VE24/VE25 in gale force winds on top of some pretty steep [bleep] and also endured many feet of snow in the same tents. You'd have been hard pressed to find a better tent in the 80s. I can guarantee some of the stuff I've put one through it was not over priced. I've seen more expensive tents ripped to shreds in the same conditions.

Which brand of mountaineering tents were you using all those years of tenting that were better? Not saying there weren't any, but I doubt they were any less expensive in the 70s and 80s for a true mountaineering tent.

If anyone reading this thread feels bad about owning a VE25, you can always send it my way. I won't buy one, but I sure as heck wouldn't turn one down.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't bought any TNF stuff in years.

Doesn't surprise me though. All of those yuppie companies are run by liberals.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't been a fan of TNF since they went urban in the early 2000s.

But for the record, with a minimal amount of research in addition to the OP article, in chronological order:

- 1966 Doug and Susie Thompkins start TNF
- 1968 They sell TNF for $50k
- They make a fortune off Espirit (popular 70s/80s/90s women's clothing)
- They divorce
- Susie meets Hillary and subsequently gives her millions of dollars

There may be many other reasons to dislike TNF, but this one seems somewhat tenuous. And the LA Times article is pretty much crap - just a puff piece.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
north face gear is as well known as it gets.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I buy mine on clearance.

I've fished all season in my North Face puffy. No complaints.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215

You've spent a lot of years in tents then. Makes no difference to me if you want TNF gear or not. I currently have none and have no plans of buying any. I have however spent many a night in a VE24/VE25 in gale force winds on top of some pretty steep [bleep] and also endured many feet of snow in the same tents. You'd have been hard pressed to find a better tent in the 80s. I can guarantee some of the stuff I've put one through it was not over priced. I've seen more expensive tents ripped to shreds in the same conditions.

Which brand of mountaineering tents were you using all those years of tenting that were better? Not saying there weren't any, but I doubt they were any less expensive in the 70s and 80s for a true mountaineering tent.

If anyone reading this thread feels bad about owning a VE25, you can always send it my way. I won't buy one, but I sure as heck wouldn't turn one down.

Most hunting season nights were spent in canvas will tents that would leak wherever you touched on the inside while the outside was wet. Most backpacking nights were spent in just whatever low priced tent I had. Brand name didn't mean much just as long as I could stay dry. The old heavy army surplus "pup tents" could be had back then for less then ten dollars. Probably closer to five. They were very popular with the crew I hung out with.

Then several companies started making ripstop light weight nylon tents! Wow! They weighed nothing compared to the old pup tents so that quickly became everybody's first choice. And they were not expensive. So, just whatever somebody had was what we used. And most of my camping/backpacking was in the high country of Colorado so the main thing was to be able to stay a little warmer than outside and hope to stay dry in case some moisture was falling.

My intention was not to belittle you or your equipment. Sometimes expressing my self on this thing just doesn't come out right.

And what we had back then surely wasn't "any better" but we went with what we had.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Good to know. Always try to put my money behind companys that support my interests.

Never buy anything at REI that you could also buy at Cabelas.

I Hunt and I Fish, If I Need to Get Away. If You're Finding Fault With Me, Moaning More Than I Can Stand, I'll Tell You What...For a Little While I'll Go See the Outdoor Plan. -Hank III
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JRaw
I haven't been a fan of TNF since they went urban in the early 2000s.

But for the record, with a minimal amount of research in addition to the OP article, in chronological order:

- 1966 Doug and Susie Thompkins start TNF
- 1968 They sell TNF for $50k
- They make a fortune off Espirit (popular 70s/80s/90s women's clothing)
- They divorce
- Susie meets Hillary and subsequently gives her millions of dollars

There may be many other reasons to dislike TNF, but this one seems somewhat tenuous. And the LA Times article is pretty much crap - just a puff piece.

WHAT!! an article quoted on the 24 HR Campfire was wrong, dumb or completely mis-directed? I'm SHOCKED, SHOCKED I tell you! blush

Put me down for one who has a couple of the cold weather Northface Polar Guard bags and swears by them. (Bigfoot and something else, can't remember) .

Haven't bought anything from them in a while, but will echo previous comments about VE-24/25 as state of the art tent for high winds/heavy snow, back in the day.

People used to buy that gear to survive, not to look good.

Carry on!

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
North Face is still a pack of Green slime. Patagonia too. Any company belonging to the Outdoor Industry Association is on my blacklist.

Don't forget that Keen boots is helping the wilderniks with their Owyhee lockup campaign.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Politics aside, Northface makes excellent stuff. If one is in their mountaineering grade stuff and having issues, he is in some truly awesome weather. I have two of their mountaineering tents and they've held up when the wind was pelting us with rocks.

If I refused to interact with everyone I've disagreed with, there'd be few folks around for me to talk with. Agree to disagree and get on with life.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/04/16.

1Minute
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
687 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.