Print Thread
Hop To
P
POPBEAR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Has anyone tried one of the new Hatfield semi-auto shotguns? Bought one in 12 ga., shot it today. Looks good and shoots great. Hope I can order one in 20 ga.

BP-B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Made in Turkey? Semi Auto? Thats a double negative right there..

P
POPBEAR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Why is it a double negative? I have had several of the Turkey made auto's. Worked well for me.

Have found this to be new on the market. Emailed the company yesterday, they replied 20 gauge well be ready next month. Got to have one. The walnut stock, fit, finish, and performance so for has been good. I am only comparing apples to apples. Not comparing to a Browning, But didn't cost like a Browning.

Some folks don't like Jennings 22's. But know a guy that put 11'000 rounds through one without a problem, but I am getting of track here.

Thanks for the input.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have yet to see a Turkish anything that I would consider worth owning, and I have owned a couple. Semi auto shotguns have easily been the worst of the lot. If it works for you, however, carry on I suppose.

P
POPBEAR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
OK, since this and maybe some of my other stuff is just too lower quality. What would I have to pay someone to take it, and some of my other stuff off my hands. Of course I would consider free sale price, pay shipping and FFL fees on your end, of course.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You asked for opinions, and you got them, in two separate threads. No need to get offended, we all buy stuff on occasion that wasnt the best choice...for some, it works just fine, others not so much.

P
POPBEAR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Not offended. Just having some fun. Been shooting and messing with guns for over 50 years. Good shooting.

Enjoy my brothers and sisters here on the campfire. God Bless.

J
J
In reply to the Hatfield I personally have 4 of the 12GA wood stock bought them for kids to skeet shoot with and each one has performed flawless and each one has around 1500 rounds they are reliable what sets them apart from other Turkish autos is that they are gas assisted inertia system same as what you find on browning gold and silver shotguns and no they are not browning but they do run and run well but they do seem to get dirtier faster but for the price you can buy 5 compared to one benelli and they could not tell you any different because they go bang and cycle the shells out every time

P
POPBEAR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Jtex, thanks for the reply. I like mine as well. Contacted the company and they said the 20 gauge should be on the market next month. I plan on picking one up. Heck of a gun for the price.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

As a sucker for cheap guns that work, I thought I'd try out the Hatfield 20 ga from Walmart (I know, I know). After unboxing, the fit and finish wasn't too bad but definitely not "B-gun" quality, but it was only $226 plus tax. The walnut is pretty plain and it's definitely a budget gun, 28" barrel which I would rather have a 26" but I can live with it. It uses a design similar to the Browning Gold with recoil spring in the stock. I stripped it down and removed the factory packing oil, lightly lubing the receiver, single action bar and mag tube with CLP.

Off to the range I went yesterday to check function. I loaded 3 rounds of Estate Super Sport 7/8 oz 7 1/2s and fired into the berm...first round went off, second "click". It didn't load the shell into the chamber and was stuck on the carrier so I shucked the action again and got it to reach battery. I had 2-3 other instances of this happening but after about 30 rounds through the gun it ran without a hitch. Rain shortened my trip yesterday so I only ran 50 rounds through the gun.

It's too soon to form an opinion on it at this point and I may need to run a box or two of heavier shells through it to help with break in.

Last edited by UNCCGrad; 08/22/16.

IC B3

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by liliysdad
I have yet to see a Turkish anything that I would consider worth owning, and I have owned a couple. Semi auto shotguns have easily been the worst of the lot. If it works for you, however, carry on I suppose.

There are a few Turkish Semi's that are excellent. You are behind the times. Weatherby doesn't put their name on something unless it is of good quality. The SA-08 is an excellent shotgun. We now have four in the family. The CZ's are pretty decent too except for their heavy triggers which can be fixed.

I have some fairly nice shotguns that cost over $1,000.00 but can say the Turkish shotguns I have are holding up well and I shoot them great.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Jtex
In reply to the Hatfield I personally have 4 of the 12GA wood stock bought them for kids to skeet shoot with and each one has performed flawless and each one has around 1500 rounds they are reliable what sets them apart from other Turkish autos is that they are gas assisted inertia system same as what you find on browning gold and silver shotguns and no they are not browning but they do run and run well but they do seem to get dirtier faster but for the price you can buy 5 compared to one benelli and they could not tell you any different because they go bang and cycle the shells out every time

Gas assisted inertia system? Sorry but there ain't no such thing. Browning Gold, Silver and Winchester SX-3 have the same system and it is gas all the way. Semi auto shotguns are either gas, inertia or long recoil operated. There is no combining of a gas and inertia system.

K
KCJ Offline
K
CBD- I have to agree with you that I have never heard of a gas assisted inertia system either, but that is what it is called, and it works. Tested mine with 29 rounds of the cheap Winchester promotional shells and other than the first 4, which I shot from the hip and limp wristed, the next 25 were form the shoulder and it worked like a dream. the only negative I have is the magazine cut-off is so stiff that loading is a pain. If it doesn't work out by 100 shots, I'll fit it.

I got curious about these <$300 turkish SA about 8 years ago and never had a problem. Now I own 4! But, I still like my Remingtons and Benellis.

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Then the marketing people don't know what they are talking about. Do your shotguns have a piston? If so they are gas operated. If not they are inertia. As far as I know Turkish semi's are close copies of Beretta's if they are gas operated and if not are copies of the Kinematic action invented by Bruno Civolani, which Benelli purchased and renamed the Inertia action.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I am desperately trying to come up with a joke about this gun involving feuds and West Virginia but I just can't make anything work.

K
KCJ Offline
K
cdb.... Your right, this is a gas operated action with the operating spring in the butt stock and connected to the back of the bolt by a connecting link. Same system as use on the CZ 9xx series of shotguns. It is not a Kinematic design. The bolt design is the old 3 piece type: bolt plate,bolt and single locking lug at top. Oh and to answer your question, yes it has a gas piston. 2 to be precise, one heavy and one light. Inertia/gas appears to be just another marketing ploy.

But the fact still remains, it ain't a bad shotgun at this point. Just need to see if it will hold-up in the long run.

By the way, I play a harp, what kind are you giving away?

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
shyyyyyyt
I found a gen 2 h&r 1871 excell auto 12 ga at a pawn shop. out the door $174 total Turkish lower sarsimal and Remington barrel system
takes remchokes
remingdog bought h&r I geuss
price tag said gas system inop single shot only
that was on a Tuesday
did some innanet checking on reviews and disassembly/assembly and downloaded a owners manuel
went back on Thursday
asked if i could dissemble the gun to check it out
seen the problem as soon as i took off the forearm and looked in front of the gas block
per innanet video guys saying
always make sure you take off the oring before you take off the barrel and don't lose it

previous owner didn't know where to put the gas seal o-ring back on when he cleaned it i geuss problably seen a o-ring lying their and wondering wtf... he had it in the middle of the piston between the high and low load settings for some strange reason had to take some effort to stretch it and put it in the spot.....instead of in front of the gas block on the mag tube and behind the forearm where it belongs
dumbass........

geuss plenty of people don't read their owners manuels

pawn shop owner was a little miffed I "fixed" it their on the spot and bought it
3 chokes and a decent guncase

took it home
called h&r
they said it was gen2 2013 model with Remington barrel
barrel says "h&r 1871 ilion ny"

went out back to the woods
shot 7 rds bang every time
went back to the house disassembled it completely and cleaned it still had factory grease in the receiver
took off the recoil pad and put about 14 oz of sinkers stuffed in between crammed in wally world bags in the hollow buttstock and a 2 inch big sandy broken tip arrowhead,a real nice piece of orange material rock and a small broken tip Benton arrowhead

bout 16-17 oz of weight added

gun recoils nice and soft

I have put about 150 rds thru the gun so far on the trap range,
skeet is for the gays........ best i have shot yet is a 19 with the full .700 rem choke and it goes bang every time
even mixing and matching low velocity and high velocity loads

gonna put a truglo green bead on it and get a Carlson modified improved .705 ported sporting clays choke for it and call it good
got 3 spare Teflon coated Remington 1100 O-rings
2 at the house and one in my wallet
and the original in the gun
gonna buy some more shells after deer season
and pattern it on paper
see what shell patterns best in 1 1/8th oz #8,s around the 1250-1300 fps range

gonna be my dove gun probably see bout 200-250 rds a yr at the most
1st semi auto I have ever had
im happy with my "cheap" reliable Turkish shotgun

Last edited by renegade50; 09/21/16.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
sarsilmaz

my bad on the miss spell of the manufacturer

people would be surprised who they make guns for

I believe they also make or made shotguns for weatherby

only diff a lot of people say is that a turk hits the run button on a cnc machine instead of an Italian or american

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
131 members (257 mag, 32_20fan, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,446 guests, and 753 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,893
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.