Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
.................be akin to hair lipping the pope if I were to install a sight pin on my longbow?

I got broad shoulders and can take the heat if it's really that outta line, so don't hold anything back.

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dude....

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That's what I was afraid of.

I haven't a peace pipe or peyote buttons and for the life of me am not able to become the spiritual mystical flight of the fuggin arrow.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500
That's what I was afraid of.

I haven't a peace pipe or peyote buttons and for the life of me am not able to become the spiritual mystical flight of the fuggin arrow.

Find a coach.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
May have to or just conclude I'm too damn ethical to hunt with my longbow, hubcap sized groups at 15 yards ain't gonna cut it Buddysmile, I may not posses the cultivable talent.

Trump Won!
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I don't think it's a bad idea if it improves your accuracy and confidence for hunting. Sometimes shooting with a sight for a while can improve your shooting with the sight removed. In addition to a single pin you might consider the SRF sight.

For hunting the fixed crawl can be very helpful too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LthFu6fxjeM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PM Longhunter_1 and rost495. If those two can't help then you're nigh hopeless.

FWIW, how about details on the bow and set up?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
May have to or just conclude I'm too damn ethical to hunt with my longbow, hubcap sized groups at 15 yards ain't gonna cut it Buddysmile, I may not posses the cultivable talent.
I came to the same conclusion and sold my long bow.

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What draw weight is your longbow? I ask because all too often guys get in a little too heavy and make it very hard to learn to shoot well. A 30# bow can teach you more in a couple hours than a 50# bow can in a couple years...

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by centershot
What draw weight is your longbow? I ask because all too often guys get in a little too heavy and make it very hard to learn to shoot well. A 30# bow can teach you more in a couple hours than a 50# bow can in a couple years...

This is an excellent point. I know gunner can likely draw an English war bow, but form matters most of all and especially with trad bows.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Just a thought. When you practice try 7-10 yards. Pick a target with a very small aiming point. Roving a field with a fluflu and judo point can do wonders. Hope this helps.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try this shooting method, with a lighter draw weight bow -

http://www.tradbow.com/public/310520-Shooting-Method.cfm

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
When I used to shoot a recurve I shot purely instinctive. I use a single pin sight in a slider on my compounds now and can't even imagine going back. That said though, there used to be quite a few people who shot recurves with pin sights and no one peed on them then for doing it.

First thing I'd ask is how much draw weight and how long have you been pulling it? You might be able to pull a dozer out of a ditch bare handed, but you still don't use the same muscles. So, it might just be a matter of time to get the muscles built enough to allow you to steady up.

Second, a coach or even anyone knowledgeable should look at your form and that can really make it a lot easier. No matter what kind of bow you shoot, it's all about form and consistent form. Quit doing the wrong things and learn to do the right thing each and every time. Just one simple thing like putting a death grip on the bow can scatter arrows all over the place.

In many ways it's like shooting off hand with a rifle accurately. Little things from your feet up to your ears can make huge differences. You need to stack your skeleton solidly and reliably to at least give your brain and muscles a fighting chance to do what you want to do.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've no issue if someone wants a pin on their recurve or long bow.

I don't want that anymore, but I did have a recurve with them once..

And did tape an eraser on a long bow and put a stick pin in for a sight...

The stick bows to me are best done instinctive, but that takes a LOT of practice and short distances...

Personally I won't shoot past 15 anyway so hubcap size groups(6-8 inches or so ) are more than good enough anyway.

The other thought, if you are having trouble, it could be the bow just isn't fit for you... not that its a long bow, just doens't fit...

BIL has an old ben pearson 60 pounder... I can't shoot it for flip...

Go to my brack recurve, I'm fine and at 15 I can usually come close to touching fletches

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Lost, many Thanks for the vote of support, don't know if I can get there without a pin, I see many replies down the page, maybe a solution lies there.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 4ager
PM Longhunter_1 and rost495. If those two can't help then you're nigh hopeless.

FWIW, how about details on the bow and set up?

Thanks 4, I see at least one of them has replied here.

My bow is a beautiful 66" Dan Toelke Whip Longbow, it's marked 53 lbs at 28's of draw, my draw is near 31" so I'm guessing it to be North of 60 lbs with my corner of the mouth anchor.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Dan, I'd really hate to sell this beautiful, never fired anything so quite and smooth, I did kill a doe with at at 9 yards a couple years back, was standing in a huge crevice in a bench, a wonderful ambush point with a steady North wind.

The 145 gr Stos head made a sickening crunch/slice sound when it hit her, not alarmed much, she hooped about 10 yards, stopped, tail starting corkscrewing around and she fell.

BUT, first and foremost, accuracy HAS to be there.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Centershot, guessing this one to be a bit over 60 lbs at 31's, it's very smooth and easy to shoot, I've tried one over and three under to no avail, I use leather finger tabs.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by centershot

This is an excellent point. I know gunner can likely draw an English war bow, but form matters most of all and especially with trad bows.

Yes, used to shoot for years an old round wheel Oregon Deschutes bow with a 90 lb draw, it happens to still be the quietest and smoothest compound bow I've ever had/fired.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by DCR48
Just a thought. When you practice try 7-10 yards. Pick a target with a very small aiming point. Roving a field with a fluflu and judo point can do wonders. Hope this helps.

I started at 5 yards DCR, but moving back at more realistic hunting yardages caused the bottom to fall out of it.

I may need to invest in some fluflu and judo points.

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1minute, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 60 invisible), 3,213 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,532
Posts18,452,920
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.