Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by alukban
I saw that Wiggys hammock bag too! Some guy named "Shug" who is a considered an internet expert by all the hammock folks is pretty much using and praising his own DIY version of the Wiggys hammock bag so it isn't that ludicrous or new and idea. I dunno how that thing keeps the bottom tight to your underside though.

If I were to do the UQ thing again, I'd go with 3/4 length for everything regardless of temp and subtract at least 15°F of temp rating from anything that is advertised. I would get Climashield Apex for eveyrthing. That is a personal thing but this is what I have found to be true for me. The full length UQ need bungees closer to the center also to keep the area under your butt from drooping.

I had once been hanging by a creek at near freezing, 100% humidity and EVERYTHING got wet and coated with ice though no rain ever touched anything. I don't want to rely on iced up goose feathers.

Specifically, I would get one these at the "corrected temp rating" of your choice: http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/p312/Jarbidge_River_UnderQuilt.html

No matter what, the lower the temp rating of the full-length UQ, the heavier it will be and the more likely it will dr0op near the middle unless it has extra bungees. Full-length UQ also suffer droop around the bend behind your legs and create an open cavity for cold air to intrude. This has been addressed by modifications called the "stretch mod" or "knotty mod". These are not problems with 3/4 length UQ's.

For my feet, I use a Kifaru Doobie Express as an elephant foot and wear mil-surp polarfleece booties. My feet are never cold smile

Good luck!

A correctly made uq doesn't need a bungee in the middle. A full length uq needs a secondary suspension to keep it from sagging. Here's a link to a good video on suspension setup. The quilt is one I made and is rated to -10F.

Shug Suspension Video

“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.” -Francis Chan

Down Quilts : www.locolibregear.com/gear.html
Blog : www.walkingwiththeson.com

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Whoaa... you're "that George" smile

Your stuff from locolibregear.com looks awesome AND extremely well priced. I will definitely be buying gear from you in the near future George.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Hahaha, yeah that George. I've been away for a while, but hope to contribute here more going forward. Tons of forums out there to keep a fella waaay too busy.

I appreciate the kind words alukban. One of my goals was/is to be affordable.

“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.” -Francis Chan

Down Quilts : www.locolibregear.com/gear.html
Blog : www.walkingwiththeson.com

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I liked the idea of a quilt, but finally gave up on it due to bulk. Carrying an over and under quilts was like carrying two sleeping bags, plus the bulk of the hammock and the tent fly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I'd like to try a hammock but I think it would be impossible for me. I think have a touch of sleep apnea. I can sleep all night just fine on my side or belly but I have breathing problems on my back.

That's where a bridge hammock comes in....You can side sleep fine in them, but belly sleeping is better than gathered end style, but still a little tough for long periods.
I've had a few back surgeries, and find my Ridgerunner gives me a better nights sleep than my own bed!

No Farmers---No Food
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by George_Carr
Hahaha, yeah that George. I've been away for a while, but hope to contribute here more going forward. Tons of forums out there to keep a fella waaay too busy.

I appreciate the kind words alukban. One of my goals was/is to be affordable.
Nice photos of the 5 Ponds wilderness George!

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

591 members (1_deuce, 06hunter59, 22250rem, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 59 invisible), 2,162 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,282
Posts18,448,597
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.