Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well....the mangled bullet is mangled because it was designed to get mangled.

And the TBBC is a picture perfect mushroom because it was also designed that way.

You have it backwards....the TBBC is one of those bullets designed to expand and penetrate under the stress of high impact velocity on BG animals,yet still expand and penetrate at distance as well. As a result it retains a lot of weight and has a broader and more uniform mushroom which helps it penetrate........not to make manufacturers happy with PR photo ops and add copy.

If you spent a lot of time hunting stuff bigger than deer with a magnum (and some standard) cartridges you might come to appreciate those characteristics.

The mangled bullet is not designed to maintain its structural integrity user as much velocity or stress and penetration could be compromised when hitting something major. So.....it might work this time but also may not under certain circumstances. Personally I don't like 50-50 bets,so have little use for them and honestly don't feel they'll kill any quicker than a properly placed bonded bullet......or Nosler Partition.

Here's three bullets all of "bonded design". The bullet on the left is a 140 Accubond driven into the shoulder joint of a very large mule deer buck from a 7 Rem Mag at 3200 fps. It's mangled and weighs 59 gr.. It was also the "slowest" killer,although the buck did not go far. But by some wisdom today it should have been the fastest killer.

The other two are 140 7mm Bitterroot Bonded Cores(like a TBBC) and were shot from a 280 and a 7 rem mag at 3080 and 3250 respectively. Game was a large black bear and another big mule deer. Both animals were DRT as in "right now",the kind of kills CF members love ; the bullets weigh 135+ grains after recovery,not because Bill Stiegers (owner/inventor) wanted pretty pictures....but because he wanted bullets that withstood magnum velocities at close range on animals.These bullets shed no fragments at all, yet killed very quickly.

So I'd say "no" bullets don't have to toss jacket fragments all over to kill quickly,although I understand how they contribute to wound channels and kills little deer and antelope quickly. For bigger game I don't think much of the whole theory.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BobinNH; 06/13/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I wish I was as articulate with words as Bob was. He was a wordsmith. I miss his posts!!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hanco
I wish I was as articulate with words as Bob was. He was a wordsmith. I miss his posts!!

Bob was an experienced gun enthusiast who could definitely express himself.

I loved to read his posts and do miss his wit, humor and wisdom.

DF

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I think he was an attorney, they have to have a way with words. I spoke with Bob on the phone a couple of times. He was great to talk to,
My wife is a mechanical engineer. You really wouldn’t know it until you hear her speak to a customer about a work issue. She speaks a different language with all the technical words she uses. When I spoke with Bob I had no clue he was an attorney. I’m sure he was the same way. You could tell from his posts he was educated.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
When I spoke with Bob I had no clue he was an attorney. I’m sure he was the same way. You could tell from his posts he was educated.

He didn't wear it on his sleeve, he had class.

Here on the Fire, he was just another Loony who loved his guns and knew a lot about them

And, he was generous with his time and information.

DF

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Well....the mangled bullet is mangled because it was designed to get mangled.

And the TBBC is a picture perfect mushroom because it was also designed that way.

You have it backwards....the TBBC is one of those bullets designed to expand and penetrate under the stress of high impact velocity on BG animals,yet still expand and penetrate at distance as well. As a result it retains a lot of weight and has a broader and more uniform mushroom which helps it penetrate........not to make manufacturers happy with PR photo ops and add copy.

If you spent a lot of time hunting stuff bigger than deer with a magnum (and some standard) cartridges you might come to appreciate those characteristics.

The mangled bullet is not designed to maintain its structural integrity user as much velocity or stress and penetration could be compromised when hitting something major. So.....it might work this time but also may not under certain circumstances. Personally I don't like 50-50 bets,so have little use for them and honestly don't feel they'll kill any quicker than a properly placed bonded bullet......or Nosler Partition.

Here's three bullets all of "bonded design". The bullet on the left is a 140 Accubond driven into the shoulder joint of a very large mule deer buck from a 7 Rem Mag at 3200 fps. It's mangled and weighs 59 gr.. It was also the "slowest" killer,although the buck did not go far. But by some wisdom today it should have been the fastest killer.

The other two are 140 7mm Bitterroot Bonded Cores(like a TBBC) and were shot from a 280 and a 7 rem mag at 3080 and 3250 respectively. Game was a large black bear and another big mule deer. Both animals were DRT as in "right now",the kind of kills CF members love ; the bullets weigh 135+ grains after recovery,not because Bill Stiegers (owner/inventor) wanted pretty pictures....but because he wanted bullets that withstood magnum velocities at close range on animals.These bullets shed no fragments at all, yet killed very quickly.

So I'd say "no" bullets don't have to toss jacket fragments all over to kill quickly,although I understand how they contribute to wound channels and kills little deer and antelope quickly. For bigger game I don't think much of the whole theory.

[Linked Image]

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
When I spoke with Bob I had no clue he was an attorney. I’m sure he was the same way. You could tell from his posts he was educated.

He didn't wear it on his sleeve, he had class.

Here on the Fire, he was just another Loony who loved his guns and knew a lot about them

And, he was generous with his time and information.

DF

Yep. His posts always had value and were worth reading. One hell of a contributor.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You aren't kidding. Miss that old boy everyday, especially in the Fall when we would swap stories. There wasn't a better fella to get on the phone with and talk Mashburn, Bitterroots or BG hunting. He is guilty of getting me addicted to the excellent Bitterroots and I am sure I paid more than I should have for some of them, the elk and deer taken with Bitterroots have ALL resulted in them making no tracks. Even if they did make some tracks, they wouldn't have gotten far after digging around and seeing the destruction they made..

We were both beginning to really like what we saw from the Swift Scirroco. Kinda of a modern day Bitterroot from what we have dug out of a few animals.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
You aren't kidding. Miss that old boy everyday, especially in the Fall when we would swap stories. There wasn't a better fella to get on the phone with and talk Mashburn, Bitterroots or BG hunting. He is guilty of getting me addicted to the excellent Bitterroots and I am sure I paid more than I should have for some of them, the elk and deer taken with Bitterroots have ALL resulted in them making no tracks. Even if they did make some tracks, they wouldn't have gotten far after digging around and seeing the destruction they made..

We were both beginning to really like what we saw from the Swift Scirroco. Kinda of a modern day Bitterroot from what we have dug out of a few animals.

I never spoke with Bob on the phone unfortunately, but I used to PM with him a bit, we would exchange mule deer hunting pic and stories-he had a good friend in Boise that he would hunt with out my way upon occasion.

I sure miss Bob.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10ring1, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,068
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.