Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tarzan Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I know you they are not in the tactical trend but there's virtually no topics about them on any of the US hunting and shooting forums.

Does anyone have one? What can you tell us about it and pics would be awesome if you have some to share.

Thanks!

BP-B6

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've heard great things about them from a couple guys who know rifles. They've dropped in price in the last year...you can get one at Euro Optics for $2,700 or so. Gatogordo here has a couple of them.

Last edited by Biebs; 06/23/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On my bucket list of 'someday' guns. IMO, one of the most svelte, beautiful rifles made today.

Geedubya has a couple (and some gorgeous pics of them). If he doesn't find this, toss him a PM.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
If you would have told me 15 or ever 10 years ago that I would own break open single shot rifles with skinny barrels and iron sights I’d have said you wuz crazy! I pretty much owned nothing but heavy barreled “beanfield” type rifles, many in Magnum calibers.

Well as it turns out, I’m a short range meat hunter and 95% of my shots are under 200 yards. I’ve also found that good bullets launched at 2,800 FPS or less tend to do a lot less damage than the magnums. I've hunted with T/C contenders, Hi-walls, Ruger#1's, Rem 700's with followers and a couple dozen single shot Coopers, so the single shot break open Merkels suit me just fine.

So, fast forward a few years, and I’ve gone off the deep end on Merkels, Sauer’s Steyrs. You are correct in that its hard to find good “dope” on these rifles. I haunted gun shops in the greater Houston, Texas, and googled innumerable web sites trying to nail down good info. Finally saw one one day when I met a young man who evidently was a trust fund baby. I met him at Briley’s to buy a Cooper he received as a graduation present. He sold it to me quick and fast as he needed another $1,250 to buy the Perazzi shotgun he wanted.
Briley’s let me fondle the little jewel, but their price was above what I was willing to pay. It took me about 3 years to find the 7-08 Jagd Stutzen on GunBroker. I’ve just fell into the others over the last few years.

So here we go.

I’ve owned four. Two Jagd Stutzens (full stock single shot carbine). One K1 in 7mm-08, the other, a K3 in 308 Win. The K1’s are set up for the Recknagel twist mounts. The K3’s are set up with mounts similar to the Blazer saddle mounts. I prefer the mounts on the K1 for quickness on and off. Both return to zero every time. With the first K1 I ran into a gun rep that gave me the Americase for the 7-08 K1.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I got lucky as the K3 in 308 came with both the Americase and a Skinner Sights ballistic nylon carry bag. Makes for a sweet package. Will fit in the tour pack of a Harley or on the back of a four wheeler.

[Linked Image]

When I carry the Merkels, I usually hunt with a Eberlestock H2O gunrunner, and the Merkel sheathed.

The two half stocks were both K1’s, being a 300 Win Mag, and a 9.3 x 74R.
I sold the 300 Win. Mag as it was a bit much in this rifle.

[Linked Image]

The Jagd Stutzens are my favorite.

[Linked Image]

Light, diminuitve, accurate with 3 way selectable trigger on the left side a the top of the Trigger guard. IIRC, 2.9 lbs., 2.3 lbs, and 2.1 lbs. Safety is on the tang and has to be pushed forward to activate the trigger.

[Linked Image]

But they are no toy and do not feel like one in the hand. They lock up like a bank vault. If you ever get the fat part of your palm between your thumb and index finger caught upon closure, you will see what I mean.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I love the 7-08 and 308 Win. Chamberings. I typically load 140 gr. Accubonds over 43 Gr. W-748 in the 7-08, and 150 gr. Accubonds over 46.5 gr. Rl-15, usually a few thousandths over book length.
I’ve never wrung out these two or tried to do load development. Rather use my old reliable loads. They are MOA shooters.

The 9.3 x 74 is a different story…….

[Linked Image]

These were the targets that accompanied the rifle. It came with scope, and 100 rounds of ammo loaded with the 286 gr. Partitions.

[Linked Image]

Here are the first two rounds I shot with the partitons. I figured that was good enough for the porkers I perforate.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Don't do many out of state hunts. I prefer to DIY on my own "workin'-mans trespass lease.

So pardon the lack of grizz, elk, Moose and mule deer.

Now the dead animal pix.

Ya’
7MM-08 K1, Jagd Stutzen
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and a two-fer.....
[Linked Image]

308 Win, K3 Jagd Stutzen

[Linked Image]

K1 Half Stock,
9.3 x 74 loaded with 286 gr. Partitions

[Linked Image]

DRT (dirt-nap right there)

Anywho, as was mentioned before, Euro-optic has them for sale on GunBroker. You definitely want to check out what the rifle comes with as the Blaser saddle mounts are EXPENSIVE.

I purchased/traded for three of my four on GunBroker. The 308 Win with accessories I purchased on the fire through the Classifieds.
May also want to check out Blazerbuds and Accurate Reloading classifieds. Guns of the South stocks Merkels but they typically ask MSRP. The Steyr Mannlicher dealership also has them from time to time. I'd stay away from the 30 Blaser unless they've started making brass again, and 30 Blaser ammo and dies are hard to come by.

JAPPFT,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 06/23/16.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've had a K1 in .308 Winchester for a dozen years. It's very accurate and very light (6 pounds 11 ounces with scope) despite very fancy wood. One of my favorite rifles, though it doesn't get hunted as much as it should these days.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
tarzan Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Thanks for all the detailed feedback about these guns!

Makes me want one even more. I knew starting this thread was a bad idea!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GW, have you compared or shot any of the Blaser K95's? I handled one at DSC and it felt terrific.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
In regards to the K95's, I've made the remark " all my Merkels want to be Blazers when they grow up"!

I have an R93 Prestige in 243 Win., and its a shooter. I have also had one occasion to fondle a K95. It was the half stock. My preference would be the Stutzen. So far, the K95's remain above my pain threshold. They seem to be few and far between at the price I'm willing to pay.
At this point I don't think I'm willing to go sell Merkels to acquire one Blazer.

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 06/23/16.

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Beautiful rifles..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WANT...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Will the stock allow a solid cheek weld and still allow you to see through a 40mm scope?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nicely put together rifles. I have one of the Stutzen's in 7x57R that seems to shoot about anything very well. Really should get it out and see if I can find a whitetail with it. Maybe this year..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R H Clark, With the mounts that came with mine, Yes...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I handled one of Geedubs Merkels at the hog hunt. I believe it was the .308. Very nice and I will one day own one. Im a pretty good sized fellow and that little gun fits like a glove.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a K1 in 7mm RMag topped with a 6x42 FXIII.

[Linked Image]

At 6# 5oz the 7mm RM spinning a 150 e-Tip at 3k is rather bitchy on the recoil front. Magnificent joy to carry though and she shoots very tight groups. 1/2"-3/4" groups at 100 are not uncommon.

My wife has a K1 Stutzen in 7x57r topped with a 1-6 VX6.

[Linked Image]

That rifle is a spectacularly tidy package. 150's at 2550 are plenty of most critters and it too shoots sub 1".

Both rifles have wonderful wood on them but my wife's Stutzen makes me jealous every time I see it. Full fiddleback end to end. The pix just don't do it justice.

The K1 has truly been one of the best rifle purchases I've ever made. Absolutely no regrets.

Last edited by rnovi; 06/24/16.

Hunt Africa while you can
T
tarzan Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by 65X54
R H Clark, With the mounts that came with mine, Yes...

This is something that I've been wondering about too.

How naturally can you sight the iron sights? Do you need to squish you cheek into the stock?

I would likely want the iron sights to line up naturally so I hope the comb height is set for the irons. This is how I'd likely carry it most of the time and have the scope in my pack.

The last animal I shot was just inside 80 yards, one shot with the iron sights and my hunt was over. But it could have been over a lot earlier if I had the option to use a scope. That would have been about 300 yard shot.

This K3 rifle is ideal for the type of hunting I like to do.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
At least with my K1 yes, it's a bit of a squish down to get to the irons but it's not uncomfortable. It is quite the slap to the cheek with a full 7mag load.

Hunt Africa while you can
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
[Linked Image]

The 9.3 x 74R half stock is currently topped with a 3.5-10 x 44 Conquest.

[Linked Image]

The 308 Stutzen is topped with a 3-10 x 42 Z3

Seem to work fine.

JAPPFT,

GWB

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
697 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,558
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.