Print Thread
Hop To
R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
My Marlin 1895 SBL is giving me fits. First problem is that I am too often getting misfires. I experienced this issue when I first got the gun and was advised to add a couple washers to the hammer spring to effectively increase the poundage of the spring. That solved the problem for many hundreds of shots but now it is giving misfires again. So far with these recent misfires if I cock the hammer back again and pull the trigger it fires on the second try. I really do not think it is a problem with the primer seating. Should I buy a new, stronger spring? If so what is recommended?

Second major problem is that I am now getting bullet tumbling. This has happened several times recently but I never noticed it before. I am shooting the Missouri 405 grain coated bullets. I have seen tumbling at 1150 fps and at 1750 fps. The owner of the company said that I should not shoot them any faster than 1600 fps or I would still get leading issues and poor accuracy. Today I shot up some that I had loaded months ago and I thought they would give me 1600 fps but I got 1750 for some reason. Hard to believe that the higher velocity would cause tumbling. I know that too slow a barrel twist is the usual cause and that higher velocity can sometimes overcome too slow of a twist. I would also think that 1150 fps should be fast enough to stabilize this bullet but am not sure of that. Normally I am shooting at 1800+ fps with either jacketed bullets or gas checked bullets and have come up with some very accurate loads. Why on earth am I now getting tumbling???

BP-B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The first things that come to mind,

What powder?
How deep are you seating the primers?

Regarding the tumbling,
How much bullet coating build up in your bore?

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I am using various powders. Primers are seated below flush as normal. Bullet still tumbled with a clean bore which has had the Dura Bore Coat treatment a few months ago.

I did notice that when I pull the trigger the hammer causes the bolt to move 0.015” forward. This seems to me that it may indicate a headspace problem which might be causing my occasional misfire. This is my first and only lever action so I do not know what is normal but this sure seems excessive and suspicious to me. Is this normal or likely a headspace problem?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Looking at their website shows the coated 405gn bullet to be sized .459". This may be a little small for some bores. Is your rifle micro grove or Ballard? I shoot the true shot gas check in my micro grove and so far it has worked quite well.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Rufous, remove the bolt and clean the bejeezus out of it inside and out, Bolt as well as the receiver ect. If that doesn't take care of the misfires have the headspace checked and replace the hammer spring. As far as the tumbling is concerned I would guess that you have a heavy lead buildup in the throat from trying to push the plain base bullets too fast. It is essentially sizing them down when firing and then little if any rifling engagement. Clean the bbl. with copper "chore girl" cleaning pad material wrapped around a brush dipped in Hoppes by scrubbing the hell out of it. The copper must fit tightly and after 50 or so strokes run a patch through it and there should be lead slivers on the patch. Keep going till the patches are clean. To test run a tight fitting patch through the bbl. before cleaning and you will feel the patch catching on the lead. All above is just a guess but is where I would start. Good luck keep us posted-Muddy

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've got a Marlin 1895GBL. When it was new it would tumble 405gr Lasercast after about three rounds.

The bore was a bit rough and it was grabbing a lot of lead, apparently to the point the bullets were not getting enough spin.

I solved the problem by firelapping the barrel. I bought the Wheeler Engineering firelapping kit from MidwayUSA. I only used the finest grit (600), rolled 20 bullets in it, and shot them through the rifle, cleaned it goo, and that was all it took.

For the lapping rounds I used jacketed 405 gr Rem bullets. I scrubbed out all the leading before starting the lapping process.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fire lapping a .45-70. Sounds fun.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I used a modest load, something like 12.0 gr Unique. 1050 fps or so.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check the rifling to make sure you actually have some. I've seen several at cabelas that had half the bore as effectively a smooth bore.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Could be a head space problem with the misfires and the straight case and the tumbling problem check and see if your bullets are undersized for the bore diameter . Replace the firing pin spring first and check head space and mic the bore and bullets

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have you tried factory ammo?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'll hit you with something no one has mentioned. Are all of the screws tight?

I have an 1895 Marlin. I noticed that if it is shot much many things loosen up. Make certain that all of the screws are tight. I put blue Loctite on about everything after a turn like yours. Check first to see if the screw on the underside of the action, up by the forearm, is tight. If this is loose even with the bolt locked the action stretches out.

Ergo, light firing pin hits. CHECK it out.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Is this Marlin a real jm stamped Marlin or a remlin?
Those early Remlins were bad voodooo.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
732 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.