Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Hello: small caliber enthusiest.

Loving the collet die where available thus far!

Would a Lee 17 Hornet collet die be a volume seller yet? If you would be interested in a 17 hornet collet die please make a inquiry with Lee to get this on there radar. I am thinking this would out sell there 17 Remington Collet die by a good margin.

If I am not mistaken all they would need to do is manufacture a slightly modified collet for there 22 Hornet Collet die & a slightly modified de-priming rod/mandril.

Last I checked with Lee. they were no longer offering custom services for cartridges shorter than 223 essentialy.

Suppose what I really need to do to is Have a extended 22 Hornet shell holder modified to work with their 17 Remington collet die. May as well do the same for a 223 extended shell holder to neck size the 17 fireball while I am at it.

Last edited by Hunterapp; 06/02/15.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Am I the only interested?

Here is the responce I received from my request.

Unfortunately at this time we do not have any immediate plans to introduce a Collet Die Set for the 17 Hornet. If we happen to garner more interest in a set, we will reconsider.

Thank You,

Laine
Customer Service

Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 Highway U
Hartford, WI 53027
phone: 262-673-3075
fax: 262-673-9273

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know of at least one other that would like to have this collet die. I'll give them a call tomorrow as I would like to have a collet die for a 6.5 Creedmoor also. Someplace I read or heard they were making that one but have not seen it for sale.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by 65X54
I know of at least one other that would like to have this collet die. I'll give them a call tomorrow as I would like to have a collet die for a 6.5 Creedmoor also. Someplace I read or heard they were making that one but have not seen it for sale.

Only way I have seen the Creedmoor collet die offered is their 4 die set check the link for your consideration. Would appreciate the call or a ticket request very much.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0000690939/6half-Creedmoor-Ultimate-Rifle-Die-Set-
OR
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/677881/lee-ultimate-4-die-set-65-creedmoor

Subject 17 Hornet collet Neck die. Just like the 22 Hornet only the 17 Hornady Hornet

http://leeprecision.net/support/index.php?/Tickets/Submit/RenderForm/4

Last edited by Hunterapp; 06/03/15.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the links!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I waited quite a bit to get 204 ruger collet dies!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Just seems to be so straight forward to me. Yet what do I know.

Suppose 300 blackout, 6.5 Grendel, & 50 BMG have been out their a lot longer and they are just coming out with a collet die for those this year. At that rate I suppose I may have to wait two more years or better.

Really starting to miss the days when when Govmnt work was allowed even encouraged at work. Need to work out a way to get a couple shell holders modified and modify or make a cap to suit my adjustment needs. 17 Rem die will cover 17 FB, 17 HH & 17 AH.

Then the wipe on, wipe off will be mostly history. Need to get her done!

Last edited by Hunterapp; 06/06/15.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Good News is this die is available again as custom 17 HH collet die. Hopefully better news is this may Be Available as a standard as soon as 2016. Think I decided to have a extended shell-holder modified To allow the use of the standard 17 rem die for both 17 HH & 17 FB.

G
G
I'd like to get the collet neck die for 17 Hornet too.
I have emailed Lee asking if it will appear anytime soon.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks!

Anyone else------ have an interest?

I thought about doing a custom and decided to hold off to see what materializes with the 17 Hornet.

personally I like my CZ 527 in 17 FB a lot more than the 17 hornet due to more reliable feeding.

I did submit a custom order for a 17 fireball and a 6.5 Grendel though! Should be seeing those dies soon.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I keep asking and seems Im in the minority for this cartridge. Truth be told I like the 17 Fireball a lot more than I do the 17 Hornet. Suppose that is why I did the custom collet neck dies for the 17 Fireball. 17 Fireball dies should be here on my door setp tomorrow. laugh

Latest response to my inquiry regarding the 17 HH collet neck die was as follows.

"We do not currently have any plans to make that as a standard product. You can, however, order it to be made custom for $70.00 + $6.00 S&H."

Last edited by Hunterapp; 03/04/16.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
If someone wants to contact Lee to see if we they can get a decent price on a group buy on 17 HH Collett dies, and the price would be about $35 then count me in.
I would think that there would be a dozen people here who would be interested if the price were right.
Just shoot me a PM if this comes to be

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hunterapp,

That's very interesting, as I'm seeing quite a few people shooting the .17 Hornet in Montana, including me--and two friends plan to buy one soon.

I just ordered a Redding "S" neck die for the .17 Hornet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Soooo I'm just neck sizing some fire-formed PPU Hornet brass. Using Hornady dies to form and Redding Neck sizer die. Seems to work fine. Never used a collet thing-a-mabob wink

Last edited by lanenebraska; 06/05/16.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
MD

Having learned of the advantages of the collet neck sizing die my collection of these dies has grown quit a little.

For me getting away from wiping on and then off the lube has been the biggest advantage from my perception.

As for the 17 Hornet I have been very pleased with the case capacity The rimmed case has been the only deturent for me. Using the rimmed case in the bottom feeding repeater has proven to be a little frustrating for me. No such frustrations for the 17 FB so the 17 HH has been spending a lot more time in the stable.

When I decided to order a few custom collet Neck dies I opted to go with my two favorite cartridges I use in my favorite CZ 527 actions. So the 6.5 Grendel and the 17 Fire ball were treated to the collet Neck sizing dies. No regrets thus far.

Last edited by Hunterapp; 06/06/16.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hunterapp,

Yeah, I like the Lee collet neck dies too, but often use Redding bushing dies since they have the same advantage as the Lees (no lube, straight necks) except for price.

I haven't had any problems with the .17 Hornet feeding in my 527, and after buying it eventually sold my Remington 700 .17 Fireball, partly because the Hornet gets 90% of the velocity with 2/3 the powder, and partly because the CZ is a little more accurate than the 700 was. Oh, and I can easily get 100 rounds of .17 Hornet in a shirt pocket for wandering around rodent towns, and couldn't with the .17 Fireball.

Also like being able to find brass easily, along with often finding factory ammo at such a good price the brass is basically free!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
MD

If I lived in your target rich environment I would likely do the shirt pocket thing and use a single shot follower in the CZ527 17 HH and forget the magazine. Never thought a guy could get along with the type S neck die with no lube. If that is the case you are likely giving up near nothing over the collet neck die as long as your neck wall thickness is consistent.

So what powder and bullet have you settled on for your 17 HH?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, the S dies work slick with no lube. Have used them for several varmint rounds, including the .17 Fireball.

Mostly I run 12.0 grains of A1680 with either the 20-grain V-Max or Tipped Varmageddon. This gets 3600-3650 from the 22" barrel, and they both shoot to the same place. Oh, and the Remington 7-1/2 primer. Tried half a dozen primers and it was the winner.

But one of the nice things about the .17 Hornady Hornet is far more flexibility in powders than the .22 Hornet. Have also had just about the same results with 12.0 grains of H4198; the accuracy isn't quite as good (though it's more than decent) and it's better in really hot weather. 12.5 grains of LT-30 is very good too.

John Steinbeck
G
G
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
Thanks!

Anyone else------ have an interest?

I thought about doing a custom and decided to hold off to see what materializes with the 17 Hornet.

personally I like my CZ 527 in 17 FB a lot more than the 17 hornet due to more reliable feeding.

I did submit a custom order for a 17 fireball and a 6.5 Grendel though! Should be seeing those dies soon.

My Cz527 Hornet fed very poorly from the magazine too, often tipping the 2nd or 3rd cartridge up so that it would jam against the breech face. I fixed this this by stripping the magazine and filing the rough edges of the feeder platform and the feed lips. Nothing fancy, just basic smoothing out with hand tools. Since doing that it has fed utterly reliably.
I'm hoping that a collet die materialises soon. I notice there is now a 17 Hornet Lee Factory Crimp Die available, so maybe it is now only a small step to manufacture the collet neck die?

G
G
Originally Posted by JDHasty
If someone wants to contact Lee to see if we they can get a decent price on a group buy on 17 HH Collett dies, and the price would be about $35 then count me in.
I would think that there would be a dozen people here who would be interested if the price were right.
Just shoot me a PM if this comes to be

Count me in too.
I have the Redding Type S set for 17 Hornet, but have a nagging feeling that a Lee Collet will make straighter ammo with less concentricity runout. In my other calibres where I have both Redding bushing and Lee Collet dies, the Lee wins every time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

321 members (257 mag, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 28 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,644
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.