Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I mixed up cci large rifle primers and pistol primers and then went to a local ,informal club shoot.1 miss fire,some cratering and a number of primer perforations.A long used safe load in a .270 win-55 grains of imr 4350 and Berger 130 hybrids.I was quite stumped but continued on .At home pulled the remainder and decapped and pontificated a little...stumped.Then I discovered the pistol on the box where rifle should of been.I had never bought (knowingly) pistol components.Out of the box they looked identical to.I now think cci should colour the primer mixture differently..Anyone else?I know they are sized differently...just slipped through the cracks...oops

BP-B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Pay attention to what you're doing while reloading - it will save your life..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
With CCI LR, SR, SP, and LP primers in stock, I have to be constantly on my guard so as to not mix up those identically colored boxes. How difficult would it be for them to use different color inks when they make their boxes?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just punched out fifty pistol primers from some 7-08 brass day before yesterday. I have only one tray of pistol primers to my name. After a recent bench cleaning and rearranging, it ended up with the rifle primers. (Winchester large rifle and CCI large pistol primers use slip covers that are very close to the same color.)

I don't know what clued me, but after charging about half the cases in a block of 50 with powder, I had the feeling that something wasn't right. I pulled down the tray from which I had taken the primers and, sure enough, half of them were gone. I am fortunate to have discovered my error while there was still time to straighten things out.

We all make mistakes. Chalk it up to a valuable learning experience--I did.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I have been doing this a long while with no issues,I was sold pistol primers accidentally by the store,the boxes were mixed in with the large rifle primers.If you look at both primers side by side in your hand they look identical too.I am quite prudent about things but rushed to make the shoot and bingo..made a mistake. I thought it might be good to discuss this even if I look like somewhat of a fool.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I had a store slip a box of pistol primers into a rifle primer sleeve once. ( Im sure somebody want to see what they looked like and the clerk was stupid enough to show them, then got it mixed up.

Anyway, problems ensued....

For you, I'd just read the label and rock on.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

There is a difference?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel

There is a difference?

If you load heavy enough, there is no difference...

err...disclaimer, that's a joke, don't try it... crazy

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by shrapnel

There is a difference?

If you want there to be.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If humans are involved anything is possible. You've learned and were brave enough to admit so.

Color coding would be good or just a handgun or rifle pic on the box. Lots of companies coloring their shot shells today.

Thanks,

Last edited by 1minute; 06/30/16.

1Minute
IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
With CCI LR, SR, SP, and LP primers in stock, I have to be constantly on my guard so as to not mix up those identically colored boxes. How difficult would it be for them to use different color inks when they make their boxes?

CCIs bean counters could probably tell you to the penny what it would cost.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
===
Originally Posted by websterparish47
[quote=gnoahhh]With CCI LR, SR, SP, and LP primers in stock, I have to be constantly on my guard so as to not mix up those identically colored boxes. How difficult would it be for them to use different color inks when they make their boxes?

CCIs bean counters could probably tell you to the penny what it would cost. [/quote

I think it would be to the 'fraction of a cent". Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Luckily I haven't made this mistake. I did see a local store clerk sell Rem 6 1/2 to a man for his 223 though.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
134 members (300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,814 guests, and 811 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.