Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Just booked a trip for the end of October 2016. I'm flying into Bozeman and hoping to fish 4-5 rivers in the park. 2 years ago during the same week I caught some great fish on the Madison, Lamar, and Firehole. I'll be flying into Bozeman and likely staying in West Yellowstone for the majority of the trip. Any tips are welcome. Mainly where to stay, hike in water (which is my main interest), and possibly a guide for my first day to get dialed in. Also debating renting a 4x4 vs a compact in case of early snow. Thanks. -Elijah

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Tip: just north of the Park Boundary out of West is a forest service campground called Bakers Hole. TheMadison is right there and a very short walk puts you in the park, where your fishing permit is valid...about a two mile stretch there before it flattens out and gets near the main road. Might be worth a walk.
Be aware its thick in there and has its share of grizzlies.

On the Firehole its Muleshoe bend and for bigger harder to catch fish, Biscuit Basin meadows...classic Chalk stream.

Take steamers and buggers to all places that time of year.

Last edited by ingwe; 07/03/16.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for the info. Caught all of my fish swinging soft hackles on the Madison 2 years ago. I am going to get a park map and plan out some day hike fishing trip. Nothing like picking off virgin fish on dry flies.

The Bears definetly add to the adventure. Can't promise I wasn't a bit unnerved walking out 30 minutes past dark last time. Flashlight in one hand and my gp100 with buffalo bores in the other.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
As you head into the park from west, along the madison, there is a "Wildlife Viewing Area" on the right, before you get to Madison Campground. Just after that the river takes a bend to the right and you'll have to walk down a hill to get to it.
Hint. wink

Some deep undercut banks in that area....

Nice now that you are allowed to carry guns in the park, but I know you wouldn't catch my ass in the willows along the Lamar after dark... eek

Last edited by ingwe; 07/03/16.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Thirty miles west of West Yellowstone is Henrysforkanglers.com My son has worked there the past two summers. One of the best shops there is. They will guide you on a trip in the park, as well as The Henry's Fork and other rivers in the area. Plenty of good information to be had there.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mid to the end of Oct, cutthroat seem to be nuts about near any wet fly on an across and down stream swing. A dead drift presentation gets me nothing. Things like Prince nymphs and Gold Ribbed Hare's ears work well.

If the temps get way down, the bite might not start until the early PM hours. Let know how it goes.

1Minute
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
What is the chance of running into snow then? I was there Yellowstone in mid-september a few years ago and the RV park we stayed at (West Yellowstone) was due to shut down about Oct.10. I heard they got snow the day after we left (about the 18th) though I suspect it did not stay.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At 7,000+ ft, snow can happen any day/month of the year. We've experienced up to 18 inches south of the park while elk hunting in the last half of Oct. We've also seen snow in July/Aug, but it's gone in an hour or two.

Jackson radio stations though typically have good handle on the weather. Still, given the tourist load in the region, they will not leave anyone stuck in the park. Do take lots of pic and get in really close on the fish.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/05/16.

1Minute
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I was headed to Glacier years ago in mid September. They closed it due to snow.
End of October good chance of snow.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
If it snows I'll go to Big Sky and ski in my waders. I'm more concerned with driving in that [bleep] in a cheap rental car.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by eamyrick
Just booked a trip for the end of October 2016. I'm flying into Bozeman and hoping to fish 4-5 rivers in the park. 2 years ago during the same week I caught some great fish on the Madison, Lamar, and Firehole. I'll be flying into Bozeman and likely staying in West Yellowstone for the majority of the trip. Any tips are welcome. Mainly where to stay, hike in water (which is my main interest), and possibly a guide for my first day to get dialed in. Also debating renting a 4x4 vs a compact in case of early snow. Thanks. -Elijah

When i worked there in 2013 the "Early Snow" arrived in Mid to late August, By Mid October on a normal year, Winter Snow arrives by Mid October...
There are some holes in the canyon that are not hard to get to and look real interesting at the Calcite Springs Area. Plus there is sheep there to keep you company. I did watch a guy catch a few nice cutthroats in them holes....

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Sounds like and excellent trip.. Have a great time..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seems a little late in the season to me, I like going out there from a week after Labor day till about the first week in Oct at the latest! By mid Oct, you can expect snow and colder weather, for me I start thinking about deer hunting by that time! Thou you can pick up some of the biggest trout of the year during that time period! The fish are still trying to put on as much weight as they can for the winter onset! On the other side of it, there will not be much in the way of crowds either! As for driving in snow, slow down, or just stop all together! I keep telling myself that I should go out there in mid winter for my fishing, yea its cold but nobody much around plenty of places to fish out side of the park!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

E
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
When I went two years ago during the same week there were no crowds and some very big hungry fish. I'm in Texas so it's nice to see some snow.

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I think they're getting snow today! Understand about the crowds. Nothing worse than being in nature with 10,000 others.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Heading out Tuesday to Bozeman. Solo trip. Anyone have last minute tips.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try a downstream wet fly swing with something like a Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear. This time of year I can't buy a cutthroat on a dead drift dry.

If it does get cold, waiting until the afternoon sun has warmed the water a bit seems to pay off.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/24/16.

1Minute
E
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks. I'm leaving 80 degrees in Austin for 30-40 in Montana. Hard to pack warm clothes. I'm a big fan of swinging flies. The kind of mindless break I need.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
How did this turn out? Pictures?

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
E
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
So good. I'll get some up. I put several up on Instagram. Had the Firehole to myself for an entire day. Lots of fish on drys. Pulled a few nice fish out of the Madison also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

716 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 007FJ, 10ring1, 70 invisible), 3,017 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,963
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.