Print Thread
Hop To
T
TheBig1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have learned how to measure my lands. In doing so I've learned that I should begin by seating my bullets at .005 off of the lands.

I am finding it difficult to get my seating die to seat the same death on bullet after bullet. When I measure the olive I measure an approximate range of +/- .004.

Would I be better served by gettIng a micrometer seating die?

If so, which one? Of course money is always a factor. I also see that each manufacturer sells about 5-10 different versions of their micrometer seating die which makes things even more confusing.

I am a perfectironist, if my teacher tells me that my bullet should be .005 off the lands then me measuring between .003 to .010 off the lands is unacceptable to me.

I do not use match brass or bullets so given that information is this something that I'm just going to have to deal with?

Chad

BP-B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I suspect that most of the variability you're seeing is in the bullets.
All seating stems engage the bullet below the tip so unless the bullets are extremely consistent (from a single die) they won't measure the same at the tip.
A bullet comparator may give you the info you're looking for.
link here

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He's already measuring to the olive.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Chad,

As colodog noted, there is quite a bit if difference in OAL in most bullets (MY OCD calls +- .003 "quite a bit") and you must accurately measure from that part of the bullet where the shank begins, requiring a bullet comparator such as the Hornady in conjunction with an overall length gauge such as this one;
LINK,
and using a specially modified case for your caliber of choice, such as this one;
LINK .

As to a micrometer seating die, the only ones I have used are Forster's Benchrest Seaters and they work really well for me.
LINK

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

T
TheBig1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Thanks fellas. I am using the Hornady comparators. I think that the variance is in the bullets themselves.

I'm guessing that the only way to get each bullet precisely perfect is with match bullets. Correct me if I'm wrong of course.

I also use a homemade modified case to measure my lands so I'm good on that also.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The other question is, Does it matter for the shooting you do?

Use your comparator to segregate your bullets by length and test to see if perfect bullets group better than random lengths from the same box.

I've only bought one micrometer seating die for a 6mmBR and although it works as advertised with precision bullets, I would have done better to focus on my shooting skills and precision rifle rests.

Your needs may be far different than mine, good luck!

Last edited by colodog; 07/09/16. Reason: add comment

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

T
TheBig1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
That's great advice Dog, perhaps I'm being too much of a perfectionist when it comes to this. I'm simply developing loads for sub 300 yard coyote hunting, not competition.

You're right, I didn't think about it, there are other areas for me to start other than purchasing a micrometer seating die. I can measure and segregate bullets of similar dimensions.

Again, I guess that I'm just putting too much thought into this. Perhaps I should consider a level of moderate perfection to be my standard. Do the best with what you have.

Chad

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I might be missing something.... but if you want to get your bullets closest to the lands... I satisfy that for MY needs ( your's may be different)... by making a dummy round.

barely seat a bullet into an empty unprimed case... put it in the chamber and then ran it home with the bolt...

that precisely shows where the bullet is touching the lands.

then I adjust my die down to contact the bullet from the dummy round.. lift the ram and turn the die down ever so slightly....

Hillbilly mechanics but it seems to work pretty well for my needs...its like fitting a shoe to your foot, or hand to a glove.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I satisfy that for MY needs ( your's may be different)... by making a dummy round.

barely seat a bullet into an empty unprimed case... put it in the chamber and then ran it home with the bolt...

I make a case for each rifle that I load for by sawing the neck on one side, down to the shoulder. You can then adjust the tension on the bullet, easy. It stays with the dies. I have done them with a hacksaw and with a dremmel tool. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
T
TheBig1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Miles, that's what my mentor did for me with a case.

Seafire, that's exactly what I do with that case.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Your die set may need the seating plug altered to hit the bullet on the ogive. Often the plug will hit the tip and the tip varies considerably from bullet to bullet.

There is nothing sacred with 0.005" off the lands. The "sweet spot" will vary from rifle to rifle and even bullets of identical weight but different brands. I have rifles that shoot best with the bullets as much as 0.115" off the lands. Most of mine do best between 0.020" and 0.050" off.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
TheBig1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Thanks Scott, I appreciate it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
471 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 45 invisible), 2,168 guests, and 997 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.