Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 21 22
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by deflave
Ok.

How did you determine some people shouldn't own 1911's?

I can't speak for MM, but I made my determination based on people that know little about firearms and even less about 1911's, and then complain and spew idiocy about both.

I still don't understand why a person shouldn't own a 1911.

You and MM seem to imply that the same person should own other designs but not this one.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The pistol was first put into service in 1911 and remained in service through World War I, World War II, the Korean War, and the War in Vietnam. The old war-horse proved to be particularly useful in the tunnel fighting that went on in Vietnam.

The enduring reliability of the Browning-Colt .45 military model is reflected in the fact that about 50,000 pistols "disappeared" from the 380,000 made between April 1917 and November 1918. Including pre-war production, about 100,000 of the 520,000 pistols bought by the Government disappeared in the total six-years between the first orders and the conclusion of the war. A good thief knows a good thing when he sees it.

So it served America's military with distinction and an unmatched reputation for reliability for over 60 years until International politics caused a change to 9 mm.

Exactly NONE of the other pistols mentioned here have been around that long and many of them never will be. It's already been correctly said that some people ought not own one and you have to wonder if the 1911 is as bad as they say, why in hell do they?

Last edited by BobWills; 07/12/16.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BobWills

It's already been correctly said that some people ought not own one

Why?

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Kevin I enjoy your conversations but I cannot recollect you posting a picture of your guns or targets. If you want a nice gun get a 1911, if you want a tool that statistically has a better track record of working all the time get a glock.

Not sure what posting photos has to do with this discussion, but I have posted many photos over the years...I guess you just miss those.

And I would agree with your statement. Glocks are great guns, I'm all for them and have nothing against them. I don't espouse that 1911's are the greatest or any such nonsense. I merely reject the notion that ALL 1911's are junk and don't work.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DINK
No problems before ..hmmm....why was that Wilson firing pin in the gun to began with?

Dink

I keep forgetting, you don't really know much about guns or shooting.

Okay, so for people who shoot their guns quite often, we do this thing called MAINTENANCE. So after the pistol had burned through 6-7k rounds, I decided to change out the firing pin simply because it has seen a lot of rounds. I'm kinda weird, but I do that regardless of model of gun. The idea is to avoid parts breakage...little did I know I may have actually induced the issue by putting in a defective part. Chit happens.

Guess what, that same issue can, and HAS happened even with Glocks.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG
Ok.

How did you determine some people shouldn't own 1911's?

I can't speak for MM, but I made my determination based on people that know little about firearms and even less about 1911's, and then complain and spew idiocy about both.
Or how 'bout a guy who spends a significant amount of time trying to convince everyone else that there is no such thing as a 1911 that works. I would say THAT guy would be a really bad candidate for a 1911.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I believe "DINK" has some time behind a handgun and has carried one for a living for quite some time.

And some of those times have been in places that make the news a lot.

So I ask again (since you're the third person saying some people should not own a 1911), why should some people not own a 1911?

Dave

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
This malfunctioning 1911 issue has been brought up in the past I remember. Gee I must be real lucky, as every 1911 I've ever owned has worked without one problem. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket. I own Kimber, Colt, and Sig currently, and have owned more Colts, and Springfields of various lengths in the past. Of course I do maintenance, and cleaning every time I fire them. Come to think of it, I've never had a problem with any handgun I've ever had, except for a Taurus revolver from several years ago.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Redneck
Any kind of even minor limp-wristing with that model and it'll stove-pipe..
FWIW.
That must explain Jorge's problem with it. grin

TRH made a funny.

Dave

So did his parents

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by GunGeek
So did I catch that your 1911 is a Ruger? Send it to them and give them the opportunity to make it right.

They will probably ask him why he doesn't use the mags they sent with it. confused

I do use the magazines that come with it on the range. The Wilson 47 and 47D are the gold standard in 1911 magazines.

Wilsons, chip McCormick, etc are supposed to be the finest 1911 mags made.

Dink

They certainly are priced like gold. But if they don't work in your gun, that doesn't mean much - does it?

Do the Ruger mags work, or not? Mine have been flawless (I'm lying). So have the Checkmate mags I already had - which were flawless in my lowly RIA (bull). Oh - and the Colt factory mag (no way). The Novak/ACT mags - not so much. [/sarcasm] Can't see buying "the gold standard" when other lesser priced but high quality mags that more resemble the original design work just fine.

My Ruger mags have been fine so far but so have my Kimber pro mags, chip McCormick mags, etc.

I was trying to prove I could get a 1911 to run so I was using good mags.

Dink
So - you had it running good with the good mags it came with, which are designed to feed ball and HP......and you switched to mags that are designed to feed wadcutters (inspired by the competition crowd) to prove you could get it to run. Got it.

BTW - my Colt spec and Ruger mags all feed ball, HP, and SWC in both my Ruger and in the RIA that preceded it (in my mind).

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe "DINK" has some time behind a handgun and has carried one for a living for quite some time.

So I ask again (since you're the third person saying some people should not own a 1911), why should some people not own a 1911?

Dave

Owning one is one thing. But blaming malfunctions on the design as a whole without having acquired knowledge of what is required to make it work is another. If someone wants to own a 1911 and never bother to figure out if it runs right or why, that's their business. But those people would be better off learning something, instead of spouting off about their personal problems and ignoring the real assistance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the last month two guys I work with have bought new springfield 1911's.

One bought a new MC Operator. Factory mag and factory ammo (I don't remember brand). It would not run a full mag with out a malfunction, mostly failure to ejects. We blamed the ammo.

The other one bought a new range officer. He said the gun had been flawless...first round stove pipe with winchester white box.

I have heard both guys say how goo dog guns they are. Neither have been carrying them though.

It can't just be my bad luck.

Dink

There's your problem. You're relying on luck. There are known reasons for every kind of 1911 malfunction. And known cures, when needed. You can apply your brain to solve the problem (or quit causing it), or you can walk away from it, or.....keep whining.

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
FreeMe how many rounds a year do shoot your 1911's?

I don't see how buying $700-$1200 pistols is relying on luck.

Last edited by DINK; 07/12/16.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I want to know the qualifications required to own a 1911 and nobody will help.

Clark

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I want to know the qualifications required to own a 1911 and nobody will help.

Clark

21 years of age with no felony or misdemeanor domestic violence convictions...all I got.

Last edited by DINK; 07/12/16.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Flave, you weren't asking me about why some people shouldn't own a 1911 and it jogged my memory.

A few years ago I was in a level 4 security class, a small class. Most every one had some experience, a retired ranger (Colonel) a Sgt Major, and so on.

One student had shot an M9 in the Navy.. He was going to use the instructors 1911 because he had ammo for it. That dude didn't have a clue about much so the instructor worked with a little on its basics. After awhile the instructor said F it and made him use a 9 mm XD. The 1911 was, I guess to complicated for him i.e. engaging the safety and so on and so forth.

I understand if had a lot more time and training he might of mastered it, but not that day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never, ever understood the problem people have with the safety on a 1911. I switch between a 1911 and striker guns regularly and have never missed the safety or "forgotten" to use it. Disengaging the safety should be a natural part of the presentation.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by viking
Flave, you weren't asking me about why some people shouldn't own a 1911 and it jogged my memory.

A few years ago I was in a level 4 security class, a small class. Most every one had some experience, a retired ranger (Colonel) a Sgt Major, and so on.

One student had shot an M9 in the Navy.. He was going to use the instructors 1911 because he had ammo for it. That dude didn't have a clue about much so the instructor worked with a little on its basics. After awhile the instructor said F it and made him use a 9 mm XD. The 1911 was, I guess to complicated for him i.e. engaging the safety and so on and so forth.

I understand if had a lot more time and training he might of mastered it, but not that day.

Was his call sign "Mongo?"

Ace

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I've never, ever understood the problem people have with the safety on a 1911. I switch between a 1911 and striker guns regularly and have never missed the safety or "forgotten" to use it. Disengaging the safety should be a natural part of the presentation.

Are you convinced you should own one?

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Dave
did you not read my last post. I recall you saying Browning hi power's were a POS ( or something to that effect). So wouldn't you think such disdain of a weapon would make you not a great candidate to own that weapon?

DINK goes into his new ownership of a 1911 with zero faith in that weapon. I'd say that makes him a bad candidate for a 1911 owner.

Page 5 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 70 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,319
Posts18,468,418
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.