Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Ken_k Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Can anyone give me any info on a model 325B bolt action 30-30. I got the rifle when my grandfather died and was curious as to when it was manufactured and dependability. Can't find a serial no. on it
<br> Thanks

GB1

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I believe the gun is a Stevens 325B, not Savage. They were made during the 1940's, the merge of the two companies was 1947, there probably is'nt a serial #, 4 shot detachable mag, 30-30 bolt action.
<br>
<br>In N.I.B. 100% condition your looking at around $350 down to $125 for 60% condition per the book.
<br>
<br>Basically utilitarian w/o much collector valve. I have seen them sell as little as $10 at auction.
<br>
<br>The model was continued as the Savage mod. 340.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have my grandfather's 325. If you intend to load the rifle, I highly recommend that you clean the grease from the action. The grease in his turned to a wax-like goo inside the trigger housing and the bolt. The goo would hold part of the overly complex trigger mechanism in the fire position.
<br>
<br>A friend, while target shooting, put the rifle to his shoulder and pulled the trigger. Oops, forgot to move the safety lever to 'Fire.' He lowered the rifle, pointing it in a safe direction, and moved the safety lever. The rifle discharged. After clearing the rifle, I was able to reproduce the condition every time.
<br>
<br>I later separated the action from the stock, and used a solvent to remove all of the original grease. After oiling with CLP, it works as safely as intended. It's a fun rifle to carry and shoot. The rifle was purchased new from a hardware store. The screws looked clean; like it had never been taken apart before my work.
<br>
<br>
<br>

Last edited by RandyS; 12/03/02.
K
Ken_k Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I thank you for the info. Wasn't looking to sell it or trying to find a value of it. I have had the gun for some time now and really haven't used it much. The area I lived in when I first got the rifle was a shot gun only zone. Now i'm in a rifle area and plan to get more useage of it. What am I looking at for effective range for whitetail?

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
150 yards

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Speaking about the 340, A friend asked me to question the masses (the guy is an honest to goodness 70 year old Vt. savage user from the old days so I figured I could pass on his question). He wants to know if the 340 is drilled for scope or was it so weird that the scope had to be side mounted. He recalls the action might have been strange to prevent scoping. I couldn't remember as I did own one for a while. Thanks

Growing up Winchester just turned me SAVAGE.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The early 340's didn't come D&T'ed. The later made ones did.
<br>This same receiver was also used on the 325, 322, 840, 842
<br>marked rifles. "Some" of the 325's have been D&T'ed for a Lyman receiver sight. Just a W.A.G. but I'd say Savage started D&T'ing them sometime in the late 60's or early 70's.
<br>I've not yet seen one that was D&T'ed for the rear peep also D&T'ed for the scope mount.
<br>The receiver shape is a tube or cylindrical shape that does not have a rear bridge.
<br>This neccessitates a side mount.
<br>4 holes along left side of receiver.
<br>A factory side mount was made by Savage/Stevens and also by Weaver(which is a 2 piece).
<br>Of the two, go with the Weaver because you have a little more flexibility in positioning the scope. Plus you can remove the scope easily, to clean it or use iron sights, and re-install with decent return to zero.
<br>If you have a slim enough scope you can use the iron sights with the scope installed. There's just enough clearance under the scope to see thru them.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the info the ole guy will be impressed with the quick respone. The ole hunter is nearly blind now but has some racks that use to ride on some 200+ llb. deer. If he had access to the internet he would never sleep with the research, wheeling and dealing!!!! NM in Vt.

Growing up Winchester just turned me SAVAGE.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

415 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 31 invisible), 1,777 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,589
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.