Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Guys:

I have a LH MRI Mountain Eagle 30-06 for sale that is in near mint, "barely "used" condition. I bot the ME in 1997 directly from Magnum Research Inc. in Minneapolis. The Kreiger barrel was given an abbreviated break-in procedure (as specified by Kreiger) and then sighted in with factory ammunition. It served as a backup rifle to my Darrel Holland custom 7 Mag and never needed on several Western hunts. It has sat in the back of the safe ever since and never fired; its time for a new home. This rifle has fired fewer than 50 rounds down the barrel. I honestly cannot find a mark on it anywhere.

Here are the specs as described in the MRI OEM brochure: Match grade, cut rifled, hand lapped Kreiger barrel. Barrel is free floating, 24" length and 1:10" twist. SAKO L691 action milled, drilled and tapped to REM 700 profile. One piece forged bolt and hinged floorplate of solid steel. Adjustable trigger. HS Precision Kelvar-Graphite stock with aluminum bedding block mated to action. Grey speckle paint job. High comb with recoil pad and sling swivels. Leupold QR matte bases and rings (I think they are mediums).

So, here is a almost new rifle suitable for all North American big game, "from mice to moose". And it comes with complete providence, which is very, very rare. I have all original paperwork plus original owners manual. Plus a couple of gun magazine reviews from '95-97 which convinced me to buy it.

The last MSRP on the Mountain Eagle was $2500. And it would take every bit of $2500 to duplicate it today. A SAKO L691 action would be $1200 or more, "IF" you could find it. A SAKO donor rifle would run much more. Then there's the barrel and stock, and gunsmithing, and wait times, etc etc. I'll let you guys do the math.

The price is $1500, shipped and insured from my FFL to yours, with tracking. It will be sent in a hard case inside of a CB shipping carton to fit. USPS Money Order or Certified Bank checks, only please. No trades needed. Ask any questions and thanks for looking. Here are a few pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Nice rifle. Good Luck With Sale !

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Beautiful rifle, couple of questions:

Length of pull?
Weight without scope?
Finally, how does she shoot?

Thank you

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Beautiful rifle, couple of questions:

Length of pull?
Weight without scope?
Finally, how does she shoot?

Thank you

Thanks for the questions;

LOP : 13 3/4" The stock is very comfortable in my hands, it has a nice cheek piece and the recoil pad is ~ 5/8" thick. It says HS Precision but I think Pachmyr made them.

Weight: The OEM spec sheet says 7# 12 oz. I do not have a postal scale but my bathroom scale says between 7 and 8 pounds as shown with Leupold QR mounts and rings.

One of the Gun Review articles said his 30-06 weighed 7# 10oz, unloaded. The other (Guns and Ammo) said his .280 weighed 7.15 lbs.

So How does she shoot ??:

I have described above how I followed Kreiger's recommended barrel break-in procedure (apprx 30 rounds). Then I sighted the rifle in with Federal Premium ammunition and took it hunting. The rifle made four trips Out West in a hard case in the back of a truck and never saw the light of day. I confirmed zero before each trip and the rifle shot dead on zero before each trip. I did not save any targets. In short, this rifle has seen range use only and was never carried in the hunting field.

So, this was 20 years ago. It shot better, much better than "minute of elk", or mule deer or black bear or anything else.
The two articles quote 3 shot groups of from 3/8" to 5/8" with two different Mountain Eagle rifles.

Other published reviews of the ME say basically the same thing about accuracy in the reviews of these rifles i.e. "excellent".

I hope this answers your questions.

Last edited by Natty_Bumpo; 07/23/16.

NRA Life Member
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Snowwolfe ... You need this! ... as in "save me from doing something stoopid". ... grin

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Snowwolfe ... You need this! ... as in "save me from doing something stoopid". ... grin

Orion and Snowwolfe.......

EASY, PEASY SHIPPING DOWN TO TENN OR KY from MI cool For Free. grin

NRA Life Member
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Sunday

NRA Life Member
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I'll agree with the others.......SWEET!

Somebody will be getting a great rig.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just when I thought I'd seen it all, along comes something I've never seen. What are the "wings" on the sides of the bases that extend to the bottom of the rings?

Very nice rifle you have for sale. I just recently built a custom long action SAKO from a donor and can agree with your comments that this rifle is priced well below the cost to build one.

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Smokingun,

These are Leopold Quick Release bases and rings. I believe the "wings" that you are referring to are the release mechanisms.
Forward is Lock and rearward will release the rings.

And thanks for the props on the Mountain Eagle rifle. Pretty hard to beat a SAKO, Kreiger and HS Precision setup; all are top shelf IMHO.

NB

NRA Life Member
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
A nice touch on the MRI Sako receivers is that MRI milled, drilled, and tapped the top of the receiver to accept standard Rem 700 LA scope bases. Much broader selection of scope mounting options than the standard Sako wedge.

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Monday

NRA Life Member
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
ALL PMs answered. Thanks for the interest.

NB

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sent you a pm

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
NTO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
These are great guns I have one in 7 mag that has shot alot of critters. Good luck with sale.

North Texas Outfitters
www.huntexoticgame.com

R2BA Auction Company LLC
www.r2baauctions.com
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
All PMs answered. Thanks for the interest.

NB

NRA Life Member
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
NICE!!!

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
The lefty Mountain Eagle has been "SOLD Pending Funds"

Thanks for the offers and nice comments.

NB

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like the old saying ( checks in the mail )

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 02bfishn, 65 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,226
Posts18,466,576
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.