Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
On Friday, July 22, just as members of his party were gathering in Philadelphia to coronate Hillary Clinton as their presidential nominee, the Obama Administration once again released a sweeping gun control measure by executive fiat. This time the bad news came via the U.S. State Department’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC), which is primarily responsible for administering the Arms Export Control Act (AECA) and its implementing rules, the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). The upshot is that DDTC is labeling commercial gunsmiths as “manufacturers” for performing relatively simple work such as threading a barrel or fabricating a small custom part for an older firearm. Under the AECA, “manufacturers” are required to register with DDTC at significant expense or risk onerous criminal penalties.

Link https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...on-releases-latest-executive-gun-control

Swifty
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is what's covered. If you do any of the following and have an FFL --

Registration Required

Manufacturing:
In response to questions from persons engaged
in the business of gunsmithing, DDTC has found in specific cases that
ITAR
registration is
required
because the following activities meet the ordinary, contemporary, common
meaning of “manufacturing” and, therefore, constitute “manufacturing” for ITAR purposes
:
a)
Use of any special tooling or equipment upgrading in order to improv
e the capability
of assembled or repaired firearms;
b)
Modifications to a firearm that change round capacity;
c)
The production of firearm parts (including, but not limited to, barrels, stocks,
cylinders, breech mechanisms, triggers, silencers, or suppresso
rs);
d)
The systemized production of ammunition, including the automated loading or
reloading of ammunition;
e)
The machining or cutting of firearms, e.g., threading of muzzles or muzzle brake
installation requiring machining, that results in an enhanced capa
bility;
f)
Rechambering firearms through machining, cutting, or drilling;
g)
Chambering, cutting, or threading barrel blanks; and
h)
Blueprinting firearms by machining the barrel

And registering with State will cost you 2250 a YEAR.
This is crap, John Kerry has to be all over this.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not Constitutional! The Supreems will smack it down.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ignore it. Go to jail. Remember everyone's names. Get out of jail. Get real justice.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tag

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by T LEE
Not Constitutional! The Supreems will smack it down.

Wanting this to be true.. but not sure I can see how it would be unconstitutional.

Question: I'm wondering if this is actually aimed at those who are finishing up 80% lowers? Wouldn't that make somebody who finishes one by drilling it out an unregistered manufacturer?

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Why I'm wondering if this isn't a way to ban the personal mfr'ing of guns.. who'll do it (legally) if there's a $2,250 fee?

The AECA/ITAR require anybody who engages in the business of “manufacturing” a defense article to register with DDTC and pay a registration fee that for new applicants is currently $2,250 per year. These requirements apply, even if the business does not, and does not intend to, export any defense article. Moreover, under ITAR, “only one occasion of manufacturing … a defense article” is necessary for a commercial entity to be considered “engaged in the business” and therefore subject to the regime’s requirements.[/b]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You could be right about the 80% or "ghost guns", but it could also effect merely something similar as a re-barrel that could be considered an enhancement of function. Also how could you thread a barrel for a suppressor if its an enhancement?

Last edited by Swifty52; 07/29/16.

Swifty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do not see anything listed on ATF's website concerning this? Has it gone into effect?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dsink
I do not see anything listed on ATF's website concerning this? Has it gone into effect?

Would it be the first time BamBam did something without telling anyone who needs to know?

Swifty
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by dsink

This time the bad news came via the U.S. State Department’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC), which is primarily responsible for administering the Arms Export Control Act (AECA) and its implementing rules, the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).

May have nothing to do with ATF.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go to the NRA story and hit the links. I found something else in the federal CFR 22 Part 121.1

This is all the stuff that is covered by "defense articles" under the regulations. It's every smokeless firearm. This is a huge grab....as follows:

Category I - Firearms, Close Assault Weapons and Combat Shotguns

* (a) Nonautomatic and semi-automatic firearms to caliber .50 inclusive (12.7 mm).

* (b) Fully automatic firearms to .50 caliber inclusive (12.7 mm).

* (c) Firearms or other weapons (e.g. insurgency-counterinsurgency, close assault weapons systems) having a special military application regardless of caliber.

* (d) Combat shotguns. This includes any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches.

* (e) Silencers, mufflers, sound and flash suppressors for the articles in (a) through (d) of this category and their specifically designed, modified or adapted components and parts.

(f) Riflescopes manufactured to military specifications (See category XII(c) for controls on night sighting devices.)

* (g) Barrels, cylinders, receivers (frames) or complete breech mechanisms for the articles in paragraphs (a) through (d) of this category.

(h) Components, parts, accessories and attachments for the articles in paragraphs (a) through (g) of this category.

(i) Technical data (as defined in § 120.10 of this subchapter) and defense services (as defined in § 120.9 of this subchapter) directly related to the defense articles described in paragraphs (a) through (h) of this category. Technical data directly related to the manufacture or production of any defense articles described elsewhere in this category that are designated as Significant Military Equipment (SME) shall itself be designated SME.

(j) The following interpretations explain and amplify the terms used in this category and throughout this subchapter:

(1) A firearm is a weapon not over .50 caliber (12.7 mm) which is designed to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or which may be readily converted to do so.

(2) A rifle is a shoulder firearm which can discharge a bullet through a rifled barrel 16 inches or longer.

(3) A carbine is a lightweight shoulder firearm with a barrel under 16 inches in length.

(4) A pistol is a hand-operated firearm having a chamber integral with or permanently aligned with the bore.

(5) A revolver is a hand-operated firearm with a revolving cylinder containing chambers for individual cartridges.

(6) A submachine gun, “machine pistol” or “machine gun” is a firearm originally designed to fire, or capable of being fired, fully automatically by a single pull of the trigger.
Note:

This coverage by the U.S. Munitions List in paragraphs (a) through (i) of this category excludes any non-combat shotgun with a barrel length of 18 inches or longer, BB, pellet, and muzzle loading (black powder) firearms. This category does not cover riflescopes and sighting devices that are not manufactured to military specifications. It also excludes accessories and attachments (e.g., belts, slings, after market rubber grips, cleaning kits) for firearms that do not enhance the usefulness, effectiveness, or capabilities of the firearm, components and parts. The Department of Commerce regulates the export of such items. See the Export Administration Regulations (15 CFR parts 730-799). In addition, license exemptions for the items in this category are available in various parts of this subchapter (e.g., §§ 123.17, 123.18 and 125.4).

Got that, kids? If you touch a lathe or file to anything and you're an FFL, that three years at 200 bucks is now over seven grand after you've paid off John Kerry.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Go to the NRA story and hit the links. I found something else in the federal CFR 22 Part 121.1

This is all the stuff that is covered by "defense articles" under the regulations. It's every smokeless firearm. This is a huge grab....as follows:

Category I - Firearms, Close Assault Weapons and Combat Shotguns

* (a) Nonautomatic and semi-automatic firearms to caliber .50 inclusive (12.7 mm).

* (b) Fully automatic firearms to .50 caliber inclusive (12.7 mm).

* (c) Firearms or other weapons (e.g. insurgency-counterinsurgency, close assault weapons systems) having a special military application regardless of caliber.

* (d) Combat shotguns. This includes any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches.

* (e) Silencers, mufflers, sound and flash suppressors for the articles in (a) through (d) of this category and their specifically designed, modified or adapted components and parts.

(f) Riflescopes manufactured to military specifications (See category XII(c) for controls on night sighting devices.)

* (g) Barrels, cylinders, receivers (frames) or complete breech mechanisms for the articles in paragraphs (a) through (d) of this category.

(h) Components, parts, accessories and attachments for the articles in paragraphs (a) through (g) of this category.

(i) Technical data (as defined in § 120.10 of this subchapter) and defense services (as defined in § 120.9 of this subchapter) directly related to the defense articles described in paragraphs (a) through (h) of this category. Technical data directly related to the manufacture or production of any defense articles described elsewhere in this category that are designated as Significant Military Equipment (SME) shall itself be designated SME.

(j) The following interpretations explain and amplify the terms used in this category and throughout this subchapter:

(1) A firearm is a weapon not over .50 caliber (12.7 mm) which is designed to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or which may be readily converted to do so.

(2) A rifle is a shoulder firearm which can discharge a bullet through a rifled barrel 16 inches or longer.

(3) A carbine is a lightweight shoulder firearm with a barrel under 16 inches in length.

(4) A pistol is a hand-operated firearm having a chamber integral with or permanently aligned with the bore.

(5) A revolver is a hand-operated firearm with a revolving cylinder containing chambers for individual cartridges.

(6) A submachine gun, “machine pistol” or “machine gun” is a firearm originally designed to fire, or capable of being fired, fully automatically by a single pull of the trigger.
Note:

This coverage by the U.S. Munitions List in paragraphs (a) through (i) of this category excludes any non-combat shotgun with a barrel length of 18 inches or longer, BB, pellet, and muzzle loading (black powder) firearms. This category does not cover riflescopes and sighting devices that are not manufactured to military specifications. It also excludes accessories and attachments (e.g., belts, slings, after market rubber grips, cleaning kits) for firearms that do not enhance the usefulness, effectiveness, or capabilities of the firearm, components and parts. The Department of Commerce regulates the export of such items. See the Export Administration Regulations (15 CFR parts 730-799). In addition, license exemptions for the items in this category are available in various parts of this subchapter (e.g., §§ 123.17, 123.18 and 125.4).

Got that, kids? If you touch a lathe or file to anything and you're an FFL, that three years at 200 bucks is now over seven grand after you've paid off John Kerry.

Sir, Thank you.

The more I thought about it, it seemed like an end around play. Not sure if congress has control over those agencies.

Swifty
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Eff him and the horse he rode in on...

This'll be litigated out of existence post-haste..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just what do they mean by "defense article " ?

When they visited my shop years ago they said i needed another license if i bought what someone wanted done to their rifle,if that person bought the same stuff it was ok.

I told them when they got back to look it up and if i needed to get another they could have the one i have now.
Didn't make sense to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redneck
Eff him and the horse he rode in on...

This'll be litigated out of existence post-haste..

Yeah but how long does post-haste take ?

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by plainsman456

Just what do they mean by "defense article " ?

Pursuant to 22 USCS § 2403 (d) [Title 22. Foreign Relations And Intercourse; Chapter 32. Foreign Assistance; General And Administrative Provisions; Miscellaneous Provisions], the term Defense article includes--

“(1) any weapon, weapons system, munition, aircraft, vessel, boat, or other implement of war;

(2) any property, installation, commodity, material, equipment, supply, or goods used for the purposes of furnishing military assistance;

(3) any machinery, facility, tool, material, supply, or other item necessary for the manufacture, production, processing, repair, servicing, storage, construction, transportation, operation, or use of any article listed in this subsection; or

(4) any component or part of any article listed in this subsection; but shall not include merchant vessels or, as defined by the Atomic Energy Act of 1954, as amended (42 U.S.C. 2011), source material, (except uranium depleted in the isotope 235 which is incorporated in defense articles solely to take advantage of high density or pyrophoric characteristics unrelated to radioactivity) byproduct material, special nuclear material, production facilities, utilization facilities, or atomic weapons or articles involving Restricted Data.”

Swifty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks for that.
At least i don't have to worry about war stuff around here,YET.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sir, Do you really believe that they are going to let that definition stop them?

Swifty
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Their definitions are the very weapons the 2nd speaks of. The left refers to deer hunters and duck hunters weapons. The 2nd amendment makes no such distinction.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (10Glocks, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,541 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,227
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.