Print Thread
Hop To
#1785789 11/07/07
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All:

Can someone shed some light on the difference between the Lyman All American and Perma Center scopes? Particularily, the Perma Centers...

Thanks..
RAS

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the perma center marked scopes keep the crosshairs in the center of the scopes field. the older scopes without the perma center marking do not. in other words if you move the reticle up and to the left thats where it will be. its not that bad unless you really have adjust the scope to near max adjustment.
hope this helps ed

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of my two Lyman All-American scopes is a permacenter. The other might be also, I can't remember.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
How are they in quality?

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had an older Lyman 10x All American it wasn't a Perma-center but worked well for long range shooting and metalic silhouette matches in the 70's, it was the best I could afford. Sold the whole rig to an elk hunter and he used it for years.

erich

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I knew the Lymans well who made those scopes and in fact we were family by marriage. Now Charles 111 and his brother have passed on and the division has long since been closed.

The All American series is an all aluminum scope series that followed the Challanger (4X) and Wolvorine (6-8-10X) series. They were lower priced than those previous scopes.

They were of excellent construction and clear sharp optics when they were made and even today are only a half step behind some top brands however their seals are old and dry and they are not supported by Lyman.

I have about ten of them. The permacenter does as mentioned above but the crosshairs turn pink like many scopes of its design yet today in bright light.

To me a 4X is worth about $50-75. I am not buying but selling and replacing them with Leupolds on second level rifles. The Leupolds are being replaced by Conquests on first level rifles.

For some reason there are a few on the forums who mention the old Weaver scopes. They nowhere near a Lyman in optics.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The one with the permacenter has just a plain crosshair reticle. I hunted with it one year on the 99E it came to me on. I took one doe with it. The plain crosshairs are easy to lose, so I took that scope off the 99 and put it on my CZ452 where it does a pretty good job. It is a little too long to clear the rear sight well on my CZ, but I can work with it. I have to place my head just a touch back from where I otherwise would.

The non-permacenter one I only recently acquired, and haven't used yet. It has a post and cross hair reticle, the old kind, not what Leupold calls one. I is ok to look through, but in clearity and FOV neither one compares well with my new Weaver K4 4x38. All three of them are a long way from my Nikon Buckmasters 4x40.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 4 Lyman Perma Centers, the 2-1/2x,3x,4x & 6x power scopes. They are excellent quality for their day. Gil Parsons of Parsons scope service considers them one of the finest scopes made in this country. He's a big proponent of tight tolerance machined brass internals for durable operation and cushion mounted lenses & these scopes had those features. There great scopes for a period rifle.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I found a 8x perma-center today that came off a rifle I bought years ago. Fine crosshairs with a dot. Real clear. I wonder if they are collectable?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have several Lyman scope from the 1950s and 1960s. 50 years ago, they were generally considered to be in the same quality range as Leupold. I believe that Lyman bought their glass from B&L and their Targer-Spot, Super Target-Spot, and Target-Spot Junior were all used by the top competitor of their day.

The catch being that Lyman scope are getting older by the day and are, optically speaking, a few tiers below the current average Leupold.

I don't think that Lyman scopes are particularly collectible, but there is someone out there collecting almost anything that you can think of.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pretty sure the glass was Bausch& Lomb.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Pretty sure the glass was Bausch& Lomb.

Yes, that is what I have read, B&L glass.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have one of the Lyman 10 x with dot and Target Adjustments still a good scope

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
To me the Lyman perma-center scopes are as good as any new scope to my eye. Very good target scope

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,288 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,648
Posts18,455,427
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.